Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs What's done is done

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Gl brother, I truly do wish you nothing but the best, don’t let the naysayers get you down.

I remember when my parents thought investing 1k on RYE was brain dead, now I’m the best HU PKO zoom player in the world. With RYE by your side, failing will be hard, just make sure you work smart and you’re good to go.

I do hope you kill it!!!

Thank you mate, I’ll do my absolute best to make it work, I can’t wait to dive into it and start the real grind.

I might contact you some day, I really love those TPKO HU you’re crushing. I have some decent scores on these but certainly not yours. I really want to invest time and effort into those as I think the edge you can get is tremendous as people have no idea what they’re doing.

I think you will dude, I don’t see how PHDs can fail when retards like me succeed xD.

Feel free bro, I am ALWAYS open to hearing from people, yes I am a very concentrated and hard headed person, but that said, I am ALWAYS open to HEARING all offers, ideas and feedback (not saying I accept them, but I will 10000000% listen). I would agree the edge is massive, here are a few funny hands from today, enjoy!

https://www.boomplayer.com/31017605_04E85A25C1 so much missed value

https://www.boomplayer.com/31017614_DD4D488750 no idea wtf they’re doing, was folding the r if they potted again

pendul7
    Participant

Thanks @transcendev, I really appreciate it, but don’t give them too much credits haha!

PhDs are in general fairly smart, that’s certainly true. But they sometimes lack the will power and the work ethic to do the things they should. Self-awareness is also not taught at university and these are, I think, very important aspects of a great poker player. We’ll see soon enough if I have these qualities ;)

No problem with being hard headed, we can still discuss offers and if it’s not working, so be it, that’s perfectly fine for me.

All the best mate!

pendul7
    Participant

Quote of the day :

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

Winston Churchill

pendul7
    Participant

Weekly update

Bankroll : $4.17k.

Break-even week. In general, I have a mixed feeling about recent runs. In the past two weeks, I actually had two wins, $5.50 PKO 8-max on 888 for $346 and a Bubble Rush $4.40 for $140. These are fairly small yet encouraging results. But at the same time I also had several great runs that ended in very unfortunate manners.

Well, all things considered, it’s actually great, I’m happy to have more and more of these as they are a sign that a big score might be coming soon (or at least that I’m on the right path). But of course, when you’re in the heat of battle, it’s quite difficult to look on the positive side.

As for the rest, my study sessions are more regular again, which is great, although it’s difficult for me to apply a good schedule yet. But I’m ok with it, I look at this summer as a transition period. End of June is coming quickly and once I can’t play anymore, I’ll spend all my free time studying and 0% playing. So I’ll be able to catch up while I keep looking for an apartment in Germany (I’m waiting for answers right now) and hopefully improve my game significantly before the real grind starts.

Alright, let’s keep this update short, back on the grind this afternoon.

Wish you all an amazing week!

pendul7
    Participant

Quote of the day :

“He whose life has a why can bear almost any how.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

pendul7
    Participant

Weekly update

Bankroll : $4.10k.

Last week and the KO series

Again a fairly break-evenish week. But in general, I’m happy with my game, I made some decent deep runs and I’m happy with my chances to make my bankroll grow in the near future. Now is time, I’ve break-even for too long!

I realized that I recently let aside the HU TPKO tournaments and it was certainly not a good idea as I have a really good ROI in those (>50%). I could even achieve a lot more I think as the field is incredibly soft and people don’t understand how needed equity is influenced by numbers of bounties and starting stacks. The only downside is that these tournaments suck a huge part of the attention which you therefore can’t put on other tables, and when I have 2 of these running at the same time, it becomes a bit too much (at least for me, for now). But I won’t skip them anymore, and I’ll add the $5.50s to $16.50s in my regular schedule (I consider the $16.50 as “shots” as it’s the only one I play and I think it’s fine as I think I have a big edge).

Yesterday, I decided to play a few UFC KO series, I sat in the $22, reg the $11. Both I made the money and won a couple of KOs which was nice but no incredible runs. I also decided to play the Sunday Million KO edition, but I deposited the $109 needed because I didn’t want to use my usual poker bankroll for this. And after a very long battle of 5 intense minutes (exactly 6 hands), I busted. Unfortunate, but that’s life and starting with 60bb, you can go broke pretty quickly, which I did. GG, next one.

Mindset downswing

During the last couple of weeks, I realized that my bad mental habits were coming back again, getting really pissed when losing a few hands in a row, complaining inside my head that life’s unfair, that I deserved this pot and oh come on, what a f*cking river! Well, you see what I mean, we’ve all been there.

I really think this mental “downswing” has cost me a lot of money as when it happens, I start playing my B- or C-game and these are not good. I can’t make big folds, I snap call them instead and make a lot of either too aggressive or too tight plays.

I still meditate, but it seems it’s not enough. I used to meditate “mechanically”, without giving too much attention to my emotions, just focusing very strongly on my breath. Now I instead try to still focus on my breath but also on how I feel, to reconnect with my emotions, and it’s been quite efficient. I also decided to cut down social media even more, now apps are blocked after 15min/day. I also bought the daily stoic book which I saw in Bencb VLOG and started reading one every day in the morning. I now also start every day by writing 3 things that I’m grateful for. I don’t see much benefit from this “journal” yet but I’ve heard it’s really great, my sister talked about me a lot in the past.

Final thing, I went back to the RYE Mental Course which helped me so much in the beginning of the year. I watched a couple of videos again and I truly feel I’m back on track. It’s been only a few days but I already see a major difference, like being able to come back fresh on the tables after an atrocious grind the day before.

I now know nothing can be taken for granted when talking about mindset. So I intend to spend a small portion of my time going through the mental course again and again, to maintain a good mindset. In addition to all the other measures that I want to keep in the long run, of course.

Summer is coming…

… and with it comes the new legislation in Switzerland. This week, I’ll have a lot of time to grind and study and I intend to enjoy this last week as much as possible. Then, starting next week, I’ll switch to searching apartments very seriously. It’d be great if I can get something in Germany during summer and be ready for the grind in September, at the latest.

I wish you all a great week, everyone !

pendul7
    Participant

Quote of the day :

“How does it help, to make misfortune heavier by complaining about it?”

Seneca

kweezy14
    Participant

Awesome quote! Keep it up man!

pendul7
    Participant

Awesome quote! Keep it up man!

Thank you mate, I found it in the Daily Stoic book (Bencb showed it in a VLOG and I thought it’d be nice to have). I really like the stoic approach to life, and you can apply basically everything to poker as well.

Cheers and good luck to you!

pendul7
    Participant

Breaking news!

Swiss players received an e-mail yesterday from Pokerstars saying in essence that Swiss players will still be able to access the “international” player pool and therefore the new legislation won’t have any impact from that perspective.

Well, that changes a bit my plans! Now what should I do? If I can’t play on other sites, do I stay in Switzerland and play pokerstars only? It doesn’t feel like being the most +EV move in terms of poker but I’d save quite a lot of money from rents, goings and comings, etc. Also, I could have a “trial” period to know whether this life suits me or not.

Hmm, big questions there! Stay tuned to see what comes out of it…

In the meantime, all the best on and off the tables!

pendul7
    Participant

Weekly update

Alright guys, Switzerland is now out of the game. But not for long! So let’s focus on the good things.

First, my resignation letter was sent last week. Now it’s getting real. I will officially quit one of my jobs end of September, maybe a bit sooner, we’ll see.

Second, as already said, Pokerstars will provide the same services to Swiss players, it’s only a matter of time (just need some sort of approvals, but of course it can take some time). Hopefully, in a couple of weeks it should be fine.

So after thinking a bit about it, I think the most GTO approach for me seems clear. I stay in Switzerland, grind on stars only (maybe others will be available as well in the near future? Partypoker, please, come back!), and see from there. If this life suits me and I’m made for it (meaning I can move up in stakes), then we’ll see in the future. I will also save quite some money with rent and the 4-5h drive/week. So all this is pretty good.

Until pokerstars gets its approval, my free time will be spent on studying as much as possible. Theory, of course (mostly going through a lot of TMC and Bounty course as well, a lot more regularly than I used to), but also review loads of hands. I also want to spend quite some time studying the hyper sat on stars (4 handed). Why not put some volume on those after?

Finally, small recap from last week. I played around 40 hours in 4 days, grinding from 2pm to around midnight 4 days in a row. It was a lot of fun and I would continue to do so if I could. I also spent quite some time studying in the morning which was a lot of fun. And I took the opportunity to catch up with a few friends so really nice. I love that life. The only question being, am I good enough to make it?

The only downside about these 4 days is that at some point I felt like I was playing mechanically. And the results were not good. I also pre-register a lot of tournaments so that I don’t miss any of them and it was a pretty bad idea, I ended up with 10 tables at some point which felt fine but which is actually not because I don’t pay enough attention and play without thinking through the spots.

Well, let’s learn from those mistakes and move on.

Good luck everyone and let’s make the best out of this week!

pendul7
    Participant

Some ICM spots

I’ve never really talked about any specific hands in this blog, but what not? Also I want to share these hands so that they stick longer in my mind. And I think they are quite interesting. Of course, if you have any comment or feedback, I’d be more than happy to discuss these spots with you!

So it was on the stone bubble of the Yellow $15. 24 players left, 23 paid, $30 min cash and $434 for first. I was 17/24. Let’s be honest, I was really afraid of not getting ITM. The tournament had been a huge rollercoaster, I was at some point down to 2-3bb, so it was already a blessing to be still alive, with a small shot at a decent score, and I’d have been gutted to bust on the bubble after a great comeback.

Anyway, here’s the first hand :

On the CO/BTN, I would certainly not think too much about it, jam and close my eyes (that’s what we could call a crying jam). On MP, JJ+/AK would be a no brainer. TT, I don’t know, honestly, I’m undecided. In game I thought it should be a jam, although not extremely profitable but still decided to take the safe road and fold. And taking the safe road because you’re scared is quite a problem, I know, you don’t want to play that way. I’ll have to work on this.

But here’s the Nash range :

Pretty funny, what I thought to be a profitable jam was actually basically break-even, and even -EV if you adjust the calling ranges that actually are really, really tight; add a couple of JJ, TT or AJs here and there (which might actually be more realistic) and you get a clear fold. So at the end, happy with my play, although not happy with why I made that decision. I’d say JJ+/AQ+ seem the right approach here.

Now the second hand :

Of course, a great jam if it’s folded to me. But hey, you can’t always get what you want, right? So MP opens (orange = decent reg) and here I have three options that have all their merits : jam, call, fold. Calling is the first one that I decided to eliminate, because 1) although I’m IP and I don’t risk all my chips pre, I won’t see a flop always as the blinds might jam and I’m then in the worst possible spot. And 2) in case I do see a flop, MP will still be able put a lot of pressure on me, and unless I hit a miracle board, I’ll be in a very dicey spot and will fold a ton. In other words, I won’t realize my equity. Thus no call for me here.

So now, jam or fold? Again, I went for the fold because if MP is a reg, his range should be tighter than usual and therefore I’m not going to have a ton of FE and I definitely don’t want to flip or actually even a call at all.

Anyway, here’s what Nash says :

Easy shove according to HRC. Well, while the calling range from MP seems decent (maybe not KQs but the rest seems alright), look at his opening range: A4o, QTo, really? Looks pretty shitty and unrealistic to me. So I decided to change it to what I consider to be a more realistic one, down to 13.7% :

Does it make sense to you? Is it too nitty for you? And as a consequence, here is what we actually get as a jamming range :

Seems a lot less like a fist pump jam now. Playing a bit with assumptions, we would need him to open 15.8% (66+ A2s+ ATo+ K9s+ KJo+ QTs+ JTs T9s 98s) and still have the same calling range to be break-even (in other words, we need 66% fold equity). And then some more to actually make it profitable and worth the shot. Reality might lie between these two cases, but in this case, it means that it’s not such a profitable jam to me and that my play, the safe road again, was actually good.

What is really interesting to me here is that those spots are in fact so sensitive to the assumptions you make. I mean, we went from a +0.37 to a -0.25 spot by just changing MP’s range. Seems crazy to me. Assumptions are so crucial in these analysis, never underestimate them!

Again, I might be a bit off with my analysis here and I’d be more than happy to discuss/read your comments if you have any feedback. But to be honest, right now, I feel pretty good with my decisions. I think especially at those stakes, you can find a lot of better spots with much higher EV that are not even close like these two.

At the end, I ended up making the money, and busted 8th. Great score given the circumstances. Of course, it always feels bad to bust close to a much bigger score, but we have to accept this : at the end, any tournament makes always only one player really happy.

I hope you liked this post if you went that far, and good luck to all of you!

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey Pendul happy to share my thoughts,

99 hand: I thought this would be close but probably shoved it in game but as yout analysis shows this would not be optimal. I  agree with you, that population probably will call a bit to loose in those spots. so nice analysis and good fold!

AQ: When you work with HRC and do work with opening Ranges you always have to adapt them. Opening ranges from HRC are bullshit so never use them. Also agree that his opening Range should be relative tight because he is opening in 2 bigger stacks in the blinds which can pressure him. so i would expect his opening Range quite tight (which is ofc very bad for you to rejam). I think your opening Range looks fairly accurate but I might be to nitty as well in this spot. So with this analysis I like your fold. Can you tell me what his calling range vs your jam would be? it has to be super tight right? Also keep in mind that this bubble was  quite a big one with 2x mincash. on Pokerstars mincashes are way smaller and because of this the influence of the bubble is smaller as well!

Thanky you for sharing this analysis! Great work!

pendul7
    Participant

Hey mate, thanks a lot for your answer and happy that my analysis makes sense to you!

As for MP’s calling range in the AQo hand, it’s actually JJ+/AK that are profitable there :

So maybe, it’s pretty pessimistic to assume as said earlier that he’s going to call as wide as 99+ AJs+ AQo+. Because if he sticks to the above range, then we can go a lot wider as the fold equity we have is good enough. But then, if we raise more, he can call more, etc. etc. Well, never ending story!

Good point about the fact that it’s a big min-cash as well and it makes ICM really big in general. Also, we’re not that far from the FT and bigger payjump so I guess it also takes that into account. On stars, min-cash is smaller but big payjumps are still really far when you reach the money as the fields are huge.

weeboy9
    Participant

Hey,

first of all: very nice content!

Maybe one thought regarding your AQ hand. You said that MP is a good reg so I would assume he knows, that he can bully you guys around as he is the second biggest stack in this situation with the biggest stack in the BB maybe is a bad/tight player (blue color?). He will know that you all have to be and will be extremly tight meaning he does not have to open that tight. I would assume that he could easily open every ace as he is blocking your tight ranges a lot. And even if someone – especially SB or BB – are offering resistance he can easily fold his Ax crab with “just” loosing two big blinds with having the chance to win 2.3 big blinds.

Consequently you don’t have to be that tight and in my opinion should not fold AQ here. I am not sure whether I would jam or just call in this situation but I think it would also depend on the other stacks on the other tables (is there a very short stack?).

I hope this makes at least a little bit sense. ;)

I am looking forward to new content!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.