Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs What's done is done

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Weekly update

Quite a lot of things happened last week I’d like to share with you guys. So here we go.

For those who don’t have the courage to read everything, here’s the summary in one sentence : at the end, it’s all about the journey.

Mindset

I stick to my initial objectives. And it’s going very well. First, daily meditation feels awesome. It’s been now 5 or 6 weeks and after missing one or two sessions at the beginning, it’s starting to become a real habit and I wouldn’t like to miss one day now. It increases my overall awareness, my focus, but brings me so much more than this. It’s crazy how big the return can be when you take care of yourself, both your mind and your body.

I’ve also started to realise that it’s really all about the journey. We really shouldn’t strive for the end goal, because once you reach it, a new one will automatically arise. It’s a never ending story. What only matters is the journey, the steps you are taking today. And as a consequence, the focus must be put on what you can control, on having the right mindset, taking the right decisions one after the other and improving every day as a poker player and as an individual.

The daily/weekly/monthly results do not matter at all because they do not reflect anything you do. Big scores obviously feel good but I don’t think it should be the (only) source of motivation.

Gratitude

It’s related to the mindset but I believe it’s very important in itself. Since a couple of weeks, I’m starting to realise a few things and feel tons of gratitude.

First, I’m such an extremely lucky guy to be able to chase my dreams, to dedicate time and money into what I love. This opportunity is not given to everyone and I’m so grateful it was given to me.

In terms of mindset, especially of tilt issues, I feel I took more steps in the right direction the last two months than I did in the last 15 years. I feel grateful for being able to recognise my flaws, face them truly (more than before at least) and start working on them.

Of course, it’s just the start, it is and will be difficult, but it doesn’t matter as long as you’re going in the right direction. As I said earlier: it’s all about the journey.

And most importantly, I’m grateful for joining this RYE community, for getting the courses, and especially to Bencb who created them, because they brought me so much more than just improvement in my poker game, but also in my life in general and help me find the way to grow as a human being. They revealed me that at the end, we all have everything we need inside. The only regret I might have is not being able to recognize that sooner.

Well, enough for one day, I’ll talk more about poker tomorrow.

Cheers and good luck everyone!

pendul7
    Participant

Welcome on board! Good luck and much power in your journey!

Man, thank you so much for stopping by !

As mentioned in my last update, you are a true inspiration, and all the amazing content you’ve created helped me tremendously. I owe you a lot, and not just in terms of poker. I cannot thank you enough!

pendul7
    Participant

Weekly update – Part 2

“It’s all about the journey.”

The study

The journey continues. And I’m still happy with the new habits I’m creating.

I stick to the plan for studying. I mark a lot of hands and I review all of them afterwards. Whenever possible, I do it as a “warm up” for the next session. It seems to be a great routine for me.

A lot of hands I struggle with are seemingly related to short stack play and I suck at ICM. Nice insight there for future study sessions.

The increased awareness during sessions, which I already mentioned, is really great and it makes a big difference. It feels like I’m learning while playing as well (which makes complete sense but it wasn’t really the case before when I was just clicking buttons).

Finally, it feels great overall because I’m starting to realize I just know nothing. Every time I study, the list of topics for future sessions increase. And this is good, I truly think that the moment you don’t know where you can improve, is the moment when you should really worry because you start regressing.

The grind

I think I had a slightly losing week, but not even sure, and honestly don’t really want to know because I don’t want to care (yes, I don’t want to care). It’s all about the long term journey anyway.

Something stroke me this week-end and I want to share it here (so that it’s stamped in my memory as well). I was watching a famous poker stream and the guy said that in January he made a profit of 25k, which is genuinely awesome. But I also knew he made about 35k in a single tournament. So basically, he could have lost the first flip of this tournament and have a -10k month. This is crazy. Variance is always so hard one way or another. I guess all we can do is embrace it, learn to dance in the rain and be grateful when the sun’s shining.

The struggles

I spotted a few struggles I currently have. First, of course, bad runs still feel bad, but no keyboard smashed in 2019. And I intend to keep it that way in the future.

Second, I’ve recently noticed that I have often big expectations, like being sure I’ll be on the FT when being 5/18 which is obviously wrong and harmful for my mindset. I think this is paramount and I really need to stop expecting anything, just fight hard and be grateful for what I get.

Final struggle, the thin value river bet. I do it a lot more than I used to, so that’s good, but I still miss some (and even sometimes consciously, and this has to stop. Now.).

That’s it for this week.

Thanks for reading, cheers and good luck everyone !

aka_nosebud
    Participant

Hey pendul,

interesting we kinda get the same feeling. While studying and improving we recognize in how much we still lack knowledge.

The numbers this streamer has are absolutely insane. I am shitting myself when i am down 100$ but he keeps going when he had a -100k 2018 and even said it was the best year in his life.

For him it might be different but I try to see my BR as a tool and not as money. The money I payed into my account was to buy my “Poker tool”.

The Batman meme made me lough pretty hard, please keep the positivity up.

pendul7
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback! And glad it made you laugh, I’ll continue to integrate a few memes here and there, I like them for specific ideas and thoughts.

I am shitting myself when i am down 100$

Ohh yes, I totally relate to what you’re saying here, haha! And I like the way you look at your BR, I’ll surely think about it, although right now, I simply try not to think about it at all.

pendul7
    Participant

Weekly update

Hey everyone ! This week, less time to grind and study but still some things to say.

The Mindset

I’m following with my meditation practice. I started using the app “Headspace” last Monday, but honestly I’m not sure I like it. I feel I had more interesting and deeper experience when I was doing it by myself, so we’ll see if I continue with it. What do you guys use to meditate?

For the rest, still battling with these big expectations. I truly think it’s the root of all my tilt issues and mental flaws. It got generally better recently of course so that’s great, but I still have a long way to go and last week, I have not been the best version of myself, to be honest.

But at the end of the day, if it was easy, everybody would do it and it would not be interesting. You just have to decide for yourself which path you want to take. For me, I know it won’t be easy, but it’s absolutely clear.

The Study

More study than the previous week, I like it! It seems I get clearer ideas of what I’m doing and why I’m doing it now.

Practice makes perfect. And it’s also true for study sessions. I’ve been working on specific spots, I will continue to do so but mostly preflop and on the flop. If my game is strong until there, my life will be easier on turns and rivers. So no need to work on tricky turn spots for now.

Main focus will be on 3bet pots in the next sessions because I’m bad at this, really bad.

And for now, I still have the same feeling, the more I study, the more I see areas of my game I should work on. And I like it!

The Grind

Profitable week? Maybe, I’d say slightly. I had a very nice Sunday grind. I won a $1 satellite for a $7.50 BB and ended up cashing $50+, which is (somehow sadly) one if not my biggest cash on PS for the year. I played well but I was short for a very long time and honestly I ran hotter than the sun as well. I can’t complain.

For the rest, I’m also really happy with my table awareness which is one my of goals.

All in all, I’d say pretty good week, just have to keep up the good work and focus on that mindset and these big expectations I should really let go once and for all.

Cheers and good luck everyone, crush it!

louchen
    Participant

Just finished reading your blog. I like your writing style. I think that you have so much to share with everyone.  I’m looking forward to the rest of your journey.

You’ve already made so much progress over the past few weeks. Especially in your mental game, you took big steps. Big up for that. Keep going man.

pendul7
    Participant

Hey louchen, thanks a lot for your feedback, I really appreciate.

I actually enjoy writing it, but then it’s really great if people also enjoy reading it 

As for the mindset, I really put a lot of effort on it, and if we can see through the blog that it’s paying off, then it’s awesome!

We keep in touch, mate!

pendul7
    Participant

It’s not related to poker, but this blog is almost starting to become my personal diary so I still want to share it!

I just received an e-mail from my PhD supervisor today : “It’s done. Faculty approved your thesis.” Holly fuck, feels good!

The funny thing is that I’m not really happy about finishing it for the title or anything like that as it won’t change my professional life at all, but just because it’s going to give me a lot more free time that I will dedicate to poker.

Cheers everyone!

louchen
    Participant

Congrats man.

scooba troopa
    Participant

Congratz!!!! let’s crush! ;)

pendul7
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Let’s go for it now!

aka_nosebud
    Participant

Congrats mate, great achievement.

rye_mariano5

Congrats dude! Amazing achievement.

pendul7
    Participant

Thank you guys, I really appreciate!

Now the real journey to becoming a winning player begins.

Good luck for the Sunday grind everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.