Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Structuring Freedom, Hard-Work & Live Values

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 202 total)
  • Author

Hey Guys,

some of you might have read my old log and I stopped doing it, which was probably not a good thing. I actually wanted to VLOG, but right now the time to record a video is so much, that for me its not really doable, than I wrote a more private blog in my moleskine (only a few sentences per day). Sometimes you just get too distracted of life so that you stop doing your routines and habits, which is definitely not a good thing. I could experience it more to that later.

A lot happened since my last blog, but I can’t talk about all, so I will just write about what’s in my head right now.

I need more structure

When you setup a structure for your life its hard in the beginning it becomes easier with time and later you will think its unnecessary.  But it isn’t! Look at how Nadal & other Professionals have very detailed routines they do every match or game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adhs4f4GdsU

That might seem insane, but I think its a very important tool and missing routines are a major thing on how to loose focus!

I experienced it on my own. And I think its especially for several reasons:

• I have no permanent residence
    • I have no office
    • I have no fixed work hours
    • I am in a foreign country

So obviously its always good to get out of your comfort zone to develop and sometimes you have to balance. When you move to another country you will meet new people & improve english or other languages. In contrast you loose a bit of structure and stability.

So I want to be honest here. Just recently the combination of these things in the top led me into a down phase. But I am embracing it now. It gives me the chance to develop and I think I have some very key things to fix to become a better version of myself. And to be really honest next time I don’t want to have a down like this again. It could be a little bit less. However so how can I get structure in my life in my situation. I figured out some things that can help each other:

• Drinking almost only still water

benefits are clearer skin, better wellbeing, less sickness & better teeth. Especially no alcohol and no smoking but a lot of fresh air can give you a great skin

• Going to the gym everyday

My body is pretty rested right now. So I can run a harder program. Right now Im still doing a GK Split. But I will change it with a mentor soon!

• Going 6 hours a day into a coworking space

ATM I really want to give this a shot and see if I’m more productive. I also want to be social and meet more english-speaking people here in London. I don’t want to talk to my german friends here :)

• Set some social Events

I have never been a big fan of it, but right now in this situation I think weekly get-togethers for for example soccer will be a cool thing. It could also be a Vlogging Circle or something like this. There should be a lot in London!

• Meditation everday

That’s the thing I kept most of the time.

Overall I will continue to structure my day and week and maybe month more and more. I think these fixpoints do not necessarily have to be physical things. I just feel that living into the day and doing the most important things first is not gonna do it.

25 minutes or so today to write. I will continue tomorrow. From the coworking space!

Next things to talk about:

YNAB,more Routines, be social in new cities

julianmwagner

Hello Guys,

this thread is gonna loggin my experiences, plans and actions towards a free life without a 9-6 job that i just quitted. Leaving me with a lot of freedom. But with a lot of freedom comes a lot of power and so a lot of risk. So it’s very important to structure your days without any extern routines. I have a very good friend who is makin money with writing articles in german, just about anything. We just made a Success Plan that we plan to update and adapt weekly, based on the experiences in the week. I want to say that a log shouldn’t be written for other ppl, but just for yourself. So Ill write this log just for me. Anyhow, I welcome everyone who is getting something of the log and I’m also happy to answer any kinds of questions.

So in our Talk last week the first thing we figured  were that the routines are the most important staff and everything else comes after. For example in my area are very wet cash game rounds, which probably have a higher eV for me than playing online tournaments, but with these rounds come several disadvantages for me. Even though i might have 40 “Buy-Ins”, the 5/5 stacks get really big sometimes and I cannot take the swings like nothing. They would hit me mentally. Also these rounds are irregular and I basically have to play when there is a game on which is very late most of the time I also find it tough to stand up from these rounds, so I might end up playing till 11 am or even later, which really fucks up your routine. And at my current stage it might be max eV Cash wise, but not in Line with my goals right now. Im also enjoying the online grind more, since Im relative seen better in it and you just play more hands xD

This was a tough decision for me, but I made it and im happy with and can now bring a lot of more structure with timed online grinds in my days.

Routines:

I also think I should have daily routines that come up for my late and somewhat irregular wake up times between 11 am and 2 pm. These are:

1. Meditation – It’s the first thing in the morning and I try to do it before watching on any mails or incoming messages. Ben talked a lot of all the benefits.
    2. Loggin – Im starting the log right now and I plan to spend at least 5 mins a day loggin
    3. Self Care – After wakening up, I brush my teeth, weigh- in, wash my face, oiling my beard and get fresh for the day, even if im not meeting anyone!
    4. Gym – Im already kinda strong being in the 1000 lbs Club, but I gained some fat and im not really in a beach body form. Im going to the gym 3 times a week and approach a healthy diet.

That’s it for now. Im heading to my gym session for now, ill write more on the following days.

julianmwagner

Hello to Day 2!

I’ve got a lot to say, but I don’t want to write it down all at once and then stop logging, by leaving some issues behind Ill have topics for everyday. While planning my days and weeks I was not sure if I should log first or do my small work stuff first. But I now thought a bit more about it and I’m certain that for me the correct chronological order is.

Waking Up in a BedRoom without a Smartphone (Even better would be no electronical device, because i still watch some stuff to fall asleep faster, but im not at that point right now)
    Taking Self Care – Weighing In, Cleaning my Face, Brush my Teeth etc.
    Small Work Stuff – Start the Washing Machine, my dishing machine or clean something up that could disturb my mind before going into the work process or grind process of the day
    Logging – Getting a clear mind, talk about my focus again and be prepared for the upcoming challenges.

This might me a repetition of what I said yesterday, but so what, if it helps.

Since I haven’t talked about Poker yet and this is a Poker Forum, this might be a good topic.

So I’m playing MTTs and I’m confident Im beating the Games up to 27 Dollars. Sadly checking my Scope and OPR stats, I did not stick at this Level but clicked a lot of bigger tournaments, which at least in the realization cost me some money. I’m still up about 10k this year so far.

Doug Polk made a Video of the 5 Traits of a Poker Player and I really like it, because it shows me what is missing for me.

Im starting with the lowest importance and say how I think I perform in these areas:

5. Intelligence

Lol it’s tough to talk about one selfs intelligence. Are there even people who think that they are dumb ? Anyhow, im getting compliments about my intelligence a couple of times and I also have a certified IQ of somewhat over 130. So that part should be fine.

4. Natural Ability

I’m really not sure how to measure this. If I’m playing a new game format for example, I’m loosing obviously. Because ppl at least have more experience than me. In Heartstone I made it into the Top 100 very fast, but im not sure If it was natural ability or just because I studied so much.

3. Money Management

I made my past money from hosting events and a bit of playing Poker. Both thing have in common that money comes in fast or not at all. So to be honest this is a big leak of me, I lost somehow a bit of a relation to the value of money. I don’t know how Poker Players that make 10 or a 100 times as much as me still can be responsible with their money. I have to put effort in here for sure! I saved some money of course for worse times, but like I could have saved 5 times as much with still having a comfortable life. So I have to cut the spending by a lot, especially for things with low experience value.

2. Dedication

This is the point im most sure I have. If I’m doing something, I’m doing it right. Like I could without problem spend 80+ hours a week with Poker and Poker Content to grind it up. There would remain the question if this is healthy, and some heavy heavy Poker days really did not felt healthy anymore leading to bad sleep, a worse shape and not so much happiness tbh. So I try to take Bens approach of Micro Speed in daily tasks and Macro Patience in a long goal: The financial freedom and the freedom of no 9-6 job.

1. Discipline
    Im somewhat disciplined compared to most of my real life friends. I don’t feel like Im that disciplined to some very successful people and the most disciplined guys I know. And discipline and Money Management are really the issues I want to work on in the future. Because they will decide my success. The toughest part for me personal is having these event on the weekend which make me Dollars. They are contradicting with an everyday routined day. However I can go out without drinking alcohol or getting too wasted and I like going out and be social too, so this gonna be my main challenge to take the weekly discipline with me into the weekends.

Enough for today.

julianmwagner

Checking in for Day 3

Today I’m not really craving for logging, but I will do it, since it’s part of my routine. I stayed to my routine yesterday. Meditated, did some small work and logged. And after that I played a very fine session. I went about 200 buy ins up and played a all in all pretty good session for me at about 7 evbb/100. I’m obviously not 100% satisfied with it, because I thinked I missed up some spots with a very big stack at the Mini Battle Royale (3/89), because I was in a kinda Downdip and really wanted to come back to all time high again. To play a bit more aggressive late in these soft tournaments is often worth it(If we are not yet under icm pressure). However I played almost 15 or 16 hours and 10k hands and yes I think staying routined helped me a bit to focus a bit more. There is still room for improvement though.

Im now heading to the customs and getting the MUSE Headset (choosemuse.com). Its a headset that measures your brain activity while meditating. Im somewhat excited about this headset, but not as sure about as I was when buying it. I’ll report how it is though.

See you tomorrow.

bencb789
    Keymaster

Waking Up in a BedRoom without a Smartphone (Even better would be no electronical device, because i still watch some stuff to fall asleep faster, but im not at that point right now)

This is something I also need to get rid off. I often used the excuse of having an alarm clock next to my bed in order to justify having my phone in my bedroom. Now I am testing this alarm clock from my flatmate (https://www.amazon.de/Philips-HF3520-01-Sonnenaufgangfunktion-digitales/dp/B008LR3KD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491524186&sr=8-1&keywords=Wecker+sonnenlicht).

Its pretty cool. It simulates an artificial sunrise and wakes you up very smoothly. It also plays different sounds (birds, beach, nature etc…).

3. Money Management

I made my past money from hosting events and a bit of playing Poker. Both thing have in common that money comes in fast or not at all. So to be honest this is a big leak of me, I lost somehow a bit of a relation to the value of money. I don’t know how Poker Players that make 10 or a 100 times as much as me still can be responsible with their money. I have to put effort in here for sure! I saved some money of course for worse times, but like I could have saved 5 times as much with still having a comfortable life. So I have to cut the spending by a lot, especially for things with low experience value.

Most pokerplayers struggle a lot in this area. Suddenly they are totally independent and self responsible, especially when success comes quick and they never really learned how to manage their money.
    When I think back, having a downswing, a very brutal downswing for more than 15 month and consistently running hundreds of buy ins under ev was a very valueable lesson to me. It can turn around so quick and its never for granted that it will turn around again. So ever since I value any penny.
    So when a beginner has a brutal downswing, I tell him “Dude, perfect, you will learn your lesson and it can only benefit”.

There would remain the question if this is healthy, and some heavy heavy Poker days really did not felt healthy anymore leading to bad sleep, a worse shape and not so much happiness tbh.

Thats because they are damn ass lazy. And they not value their freedom enough. They have zero gratefulness for what they do and the opportunities that come with poker. They dont invest in health and self improvement hence, after several years they burn out and feel empty.
    If you want to become a pokerpro in 2017, there is more than just playing good poker, being dedicated, ambitious and disciplined -> You need good sleep, a very high level of self awareness, sports and a good nutrition.

By the way, welcome on board ;)

julianmwagner

Checking in Day 4

Today is Friday, since i have to still go out on most weekends, these are kinder the tougher days to stay disciplined. However I did not drink more than one shot of alcohol last night and drank water most of the night and focused a bit more on connecting with people, what in the end is a job as host. I am not sure if I plan to do this still in 1 or 2 years, but at the moment its the most profitable thing for me. I also think being out at night is probably the most efficient way to be social xD. It’s just hard to stay aware and calm in this environment. But in the end it’s the same challenge as with Poker. You have to see it as a job. Im going out 2-3 times a week to make connection, spread my events and make $$ from it. Meanwhile I don’t have to fall for the fallacies that there are. I still did my meditation today and stayed in my routines. Looking forward to stay overall focused over the weekend.

@Ben thanks for your comments. They are always enhancing my thoughts so much. With the alarm I’m currently thinking about If it’s good to even have an alarm. Sleep is so important and so healthy, it rarely makes sense to cut down sleep to get in an hour more of work or so. But on the other side if you don’t use an alarm you run the risk of over resting, which could also lead to an more or less inefficient day handling. Currently I’m using an alarm on some days and not on others. What is very important for me is, that my room is totally dark. I read studies how much it increases the sleep quality.

This post didn’t feel as structured as those before. But nevertheless my current goal is just to log at least 5 minutes a day, even if it’s not something special or of high quality :)

julianmwagner

Yes, holding the streak day 5.

Last night I had a an event which is always a bit stresfull for me, but the biggest event is just once in a month and probably the toughest part for me to keep disciplined an in somewhat a routine. I drank a bit of alcohol, but didn’t went really drunk. And I still did my Meditation today, where I could really feel that my mind was way more distracted than usual. I took a girl with home which slept at mine, so I went to bed a bit late, but it’s okay since I dont really have any tasks set for saturday except than Gym which im heading too. I don’t really want to, but I’ve got to stay disciplined. I’m probably not going out later and might grind. I once in my lifetime had the problem that i literally plant ALL my hours and tried to use every second productive, which lead to a an efficient but not effective behavior. So nowadays Im thinking some days have to be a bit more free to let yourself buffer(not sure if its the right word) and to not get burnt out.

See you tmrw

atlantis
    Participant

First of all, welcome to the RYE forum. I like reading your blog so far, different and interesting approach on how you write your updates.

I once in my lifetime had the problem that i literally plant ALL my hours and tried to use every second productive, which lead to a an efficient but not effective behavior. So nowadays Im thinking some days have to be a bit more free to let yourself buffer(not sure if its the right word) and to not get burnt out.

A little comment/advice on this, I actually do it day in day out what you did in the past, I plan every hour of my day in a weekly schedule. I don’t see how anyone could burn out if they have a good plan. ;)

So here is my advice for a efficient/effective week planning, the main thing most people do wrong is to just plan working hours, more general they just plan hours were they are productive. But you also have to plan free time and always keep in mind that you can change things around and nothing has to be fixed.

If you are lucky enough to not go to bed alone one night you switch the hours you spent extra in bed with other free time that day or if you dislike this idea you can switch the time somewhere else in this week. It’s all about balance, I recommend to you to split your time in the flowing parts: performance (e.g.: work), body (e.g.: sleep, sport), social (e.g.: family, friends), balance (e.g.: hobbys), support (e.g.: household). Also try to combine activitys as often as possible, like working out in the gym with a friend – body + social. I believe that work-life balance is the key to a successful life management. Sometimes you won’t be able to have a good balance and maybe end up working 80 hours a week but body/mind can even handle this for a while, for sure you can balance this out at some point.

I assume in your job you will know the value of good planing and the problems you get along with poor planing, in case you want to give the “planning” another chance take my advice as a little thought-provoking impulse.

greetz atlantis

julianmwagner

Hello Atlantis,

thanks you very much for your thoughts. What you have is a really nice approach. Just yesterday I saw what can happen with like unplanned hours. On Saturdays I don’t have much scheduled except going to the gym. I then started a halfass grindin session. Not that I lost much or tilted, but it was just way different than on a day where it was a planned session, where i finished my lil stuff before and could really focus on the grind. Even without reading your comment I wanted to say that for me at least half ass grinding sessions do not work. And it is probably the same for most other things. So yes I did plan my whole hours and did not really planned leisure time. I ll take your points with me in to my “Success Talk” im having every tuesday with my best friend. I definitely can update my plan with your input.

To talk about my different approach of logging. I do not really feel it is that different, I am just talking about what I am struggling most at the moment. I am playing Low to Mid Stakes MTTs and it is just not so hard to beat this games. I am still studying a lot, and improve my game over and over. But currently the discipline and money management is the bigger part for me.

Overall I am really happy about how I managed to come through the weekend. I had fun and social nightout without getting wasted and I am feeling fit for a nice sunday grind. Overall I meditated every day of the week and I logged from tuesday on. I also did my 3 gym sessions. I am very proud of this, because in the past it was always half ass. 2 times gym , 4 times meditating , 2 times loggin. Doing the full planned 3, 7, 7 shows me that im getting more disciplined. I havent even watched on my phone today. And I also havent taken it into my bedroom this week. The goal is to make it such a habit, I am not even tracking it anymore. Next week I am probably going on a diet. I want my beach body back for the summer.

Gl to all the sunday MTT Grinders !

julianmwagner

I made it a week :)

Yesterday was a mesh session, though I made some $$$ in the end with a 3rd pls at a 22 PSKO. Anyway I guess you cannot rate a session by the $$ results. evbb/100 could be an indicatior, but its still affected a lot by variance. Maybe even the best way to measure a session is your gut feeling. Did I stick to my gameplan, Did I made any burn money moves I really know I shouldnt ? Obviously we never play our A-Game over a whole session, but I  think I can rate the session somewhat in the end, just in how satisfied I am with my plays. However I am not 100% confident in this approach. I’m interested in different approaches of rating sessions.

I don’t know why the session wasn’t so good. Maybe because another player joined me on the sunday grind. Maybe because I got a really bad play got rewarded bad beat early in the day? I do not feel like I am tilting or caring in anyway, but I am not sure if It does not affect my game. As you can see my approaches here are not really sorted. I did a lot of content in the weeks before and tried some new approaches and probably some of the lines are not better than the ones I played before and some are. My evbb/100 went down a bit over the last month or too, even though I moved down in stakes a bit. Nevertheless I feel like I understand more concepts of the game and I understand some things better. I’ll see how it will evolve into my over the next sessions. Today, Wednesday and on Sunday again.

NonPoker related I will start a diet today.

2 weeks, 1200 cal a day, 180g of Protein, 1 maintenance day a week. After that I will have at week of maintenance and than I will think of a further diet. This is a drastic approach and just works for a short period of time. But currently I dont want to get really lean. But Loosing 12×1800 cal = 3kg of fat in 2 weeks is fine for now. I think to be in my best shape I had in my life i have to loose about 8-9kg where of the last 2 kg are very tough too loose, since I would be under 10% than.

What im currently really gratitude for is that I manage to keep the blog and the meditation going, I also have never taken my phone with me into the bedroom. I have not watched at it today. When waking up, im looking forward to meditate and to log. I think this is a good fundament to grow as a person no matter where you are currently.

Greets.

julianmwagner

Checking in Day 8.

Yesterday I had a good session ev wise, about 10 evbb/100, which is currently my goal for these stakes. Since more ROI means also the road is easier. I just don’t fell moving up with just 3-5 evbb/100 in MTTs. Not that the variance isnt high still. Its just a bit smaller. Anyway there are other things and projects currently going that are more important than the grinding sessions. First of all is getting routined, which I am on a good path right now. And a big project I will talk about later here ;). Also very important for me is to get in really good shape again. I was at 83 kg really ripped and I am at right 93 now and summer is coming. With it the 3 times gym a week are mandatory for me.

It’s a at least 5 Minutes a Day Journal so today that it is.

cu tmrw

P.s.: Flying to Medellin from 24.5 – 01.06 to collect some more life experiences :)

bencb789
    Keymaster

Whats going on in Medellin?

julianmwagner

#9 in a row //Im just writing this for my personal Motivation

1. Whats going on in Medellin?

A friend of mine wanted to go there with another friend of him who canceled, so I don’t have to pay the flat there. And it is a really nice flat, like one of the best in Medellin, and in general I really enjoy the south american life, and all ppl who have ever been to Medellin said they love it. Ppl there are just kinda different than european ppl, not better or worse, they just live there everyday life more enjoying and maybe have not so much goals compared to us here. I can speak a bit of spanish and maybe ill freshen it up a bit too be really to able to have conversations in spanish there. I would use duolingo for that. But not yet sure if I will put this in my daily routine somewhere.

Weekly Success Talk

Every Tuesday I have a weekly success talk with my best friend. And guys I really can recommend this to anyone, if you have a friend that is minded like you. We just talk about our past week, what we tried to achieve, what we achieved and where we struggled. For example this week we talked about these things:

Grinding Sessions:

Sometimes I felt like I grinded a bit too long. I did not really play a schedule, I just play what is in my limit and as long as I feel it. Now i set myself the last tournament I might register (Reg Speed), so I have a regulation for it. Actually the current last tournament isn’t so early as it should be, but having a limit is the first start and I don’t want to be to tough with setting goals/rules limits in the beginning. I’ll tell you why in a second.

We also talked about in grinding Setup. I was always watching either TV Shows, listened to music or watched something on Youtube, like the JoeyIngram Podcast. We talked about what would be the best? And we figured out it could be different approaches. Don’t listen to anything to focus on grinding 100%, to listen to just one song for the whole session(crazy approach), to listen to a presetted playlist or just random music. Ill try out these ideas this week. I think it is pretty clear that watching Tv Shows and/or Youtube Content are having a negative value to the grinding and are just stimulating me. Ideally I think not listen to anything is the best. But it is tough. Next week we’ll than talk about how specific things worked and make one thing a rule. Ill talk about why im not so strict here too in a second ;)

How do you Guys do this ? Do you watch/listen to anything while grinding?

The first Agreement:

Some of you might know about the book the Four Agreements, some love it, some hate it. I have not yet read it, but the first agreement is be impeccable with your word. And what is certainly true is that your mind is a muscle and you have to train it. And most of us so often set goals and rules and miss it easily. If you are really being impeccable with your word and you make it a habit to stay with your word to others and to yourself you train your discipline, but the way to go is to set incremental achievable goals and don’t be too strict with you in the beginning. In my opinion this is a very fundamental habit as meditation and loggin is. I managed to do all the stuff I set up the week before (Logging, Meditation, Gym, Weekly Plan) and it really gives me a lot of drive. But before breaking my word I would rather set easier rules and smaller goals in the beginning to train my discipline. With every followed rule and every achieved goals your word becomes stronger and stronger and you can face tougher challenges. That’s why I havent been so hard to myself in the first two points. I am currently establishing other things first.

Diet:

We were both hard into fitness and we planned my diet. It is a simple protein only diet, which just works if you are not already really lean and just to about 10-12% bodyfat. We set the goals of weighing 85kg on the 24.05, where my vacation starts. Not that there is a beach or something, but it still works as nice final date. I was at 93kg yesterday so I will loose about 2kg of Water and about 6kg of fat. Which are 6*7000 cal = 42k cal in deficit. It’s almost 6 weeks, so my deficit has to be 7000 cal a week. With 6 days a week on a 2k deficit and one on maintenance that is achievable and I let myself room for error. I will go up with calories in the end If am on track. If anyone needs help with diet or a workout plan, just ask me, I have been in fitness forums for ages and know a lot of ways to achieve a better body. I am happy to share what I’ve learnt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD8ZNhtt7-k/?taken-by=_jwpapi

This has been me in probably my best form and some additionally lightning and editing ;). I would not recommend my diet to ppl who havent done that before though! So if interested better ask me and I can give you advice whats good for you. Once again Adherence is the most important when creating Workout and Gym Plans.

We also made some small shifts in my weekly schedule to fill some empty gaps, so that something like last saturday doesn’t happen again.

A lot of stuff for today.

See you tmrw

atlantis
    Participant

How do you Guys do this ? Do you watch/listen to anything while grinding?

At the beginning I watched some youtube stuff too, as you already figured out by yourself this is not a great idea. At the moment I am just listening to music while grinding, starting off the session with the radio show 1Live, in the evening I am switching to some more relaxing music. I don’t know your taste of music but I would assume that hardcore, techno, heavy metal etc. are not the first option someone should choose. I can recommend lofi hip-hop and especially this 24/7 youtube radio station: ambition 24/7 lofi hip-hop

About your diet, I have some knowledge in this area myself, that’s why I am a little bit concerned when you say protein only diet. 12 days without any fat is bad for your body and brain, I don’t see how you could perform at your best anymore. Maybe you have made some good experience with it but in general no fat diets are unhealty.

greetz atlantis

julianmwagner

I eat some fat. Just not much. Its not the healthiest diet ever, but its ok for a short period of time. And all the cal that will remain ill eat as fat. So 50-70g of healthy fat should it be on avg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 202 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.