Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs Road to becoming a 6max hyper crusher

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Tomy I have the feeling that they have an edge on me because in a lot of post flop situations I have no idea what to do. I have never touched a post flop solver, the regs on the 15’s probably use them every day. Purchasing pio is something I will do later in time. Currently I have enough study material with the RYE videos and ICMizer 😊

Short update July:

Played more than expected this month, I mainly had time after I came back from Portugal the 17th. I was afraid my game would be way worse than before the vacation. However, by answering ~100 sng ICMizer questions a day, I felt like I was playing my A-game already after ~3 days.

First days were great, result and ev wise. Card distribution/runouts were definitely in my favour too. Furthermore, during the holidays a lot of recreational players that have no idea what they are doing are playing the 7 dollars what makes the tournaments way softer and more entertaining (I like to see people doing weird stuff :P)  During these days I was very motivated to grind every minute I possibly could play and I had  a lot of fun doing it. However, after some days the shitshow started again… Losing every flip and running into top of range over and over again became very frustrating.

Because of the run bad in the hypers and no obligations in real life, I made the decision to play some mtt’s again. Made a lot of deepruns but in the final stages the run bad was even worse than on the 6 hypers. I think I lost ~650 dollar in the mtt’s with an abi of ~8 dollar.

For August I only have 2 goals: not playing mtt’s and not being such a salty b*tch as I was the last few months :P

Gl on the tables!

Menno

rye_tomy
    Participant

First i must correct you: i would say 98% of players on 15’s never used pio solver so dont worry about that! About your graph its just normal variance in hypers so just keep studying and focus on decisions you can control 😉

Gl at the tables!

demesside
    Participant

Hereby a short update for august.

As you can see, I played a decent amount of tourneys. I am very happy with the volume I put in (I couldn’t play after the 14th ) and the results are decent as well. I also completed the 2 goals I had, my mindset was pretty good this month 😊 One thing I was not happy about this month, was that I was barely marking hands this month to review.

Goals September:

–        I am writing my bachelor thesis this period, so I am not sure how much time I will have for poker. This is the reason why I won’t set any volume goals.

–        Marking and reviewing more hands. Also share more hands on discord.

–        Pay more attention to HUD postflop stats

Gl all,

Menno

1maclayn
    Participant

Hey Menno just saw this after my initial blog today and seems like we started on the same path and going to read through your results thus far. Also sent you an add on Discord

rye_tomy
    Participant

Some sick volume for only 14 days :) Also results very good and about studying its important that you find time for that, since we must improve every day. At least every second grind day hour or two for study and review.

I like your goals for this month and gl at the tables!

demesside
    Participant

Hereby an early update because I don’t have a lot of time the upcoming days.

Let’s start with some positives and negatives for September:

Negatives:

–        Not studying poker enough. Main reason is that I don’t like studying. I know that this is very important though, especially if I want to climb stakes.

–        Postponing to work on my thesis. I find it hard to motivate myself to work on something that I don’t like doing.

Positives:

–        My mindset. In previous months my mindset was okay, but definitely not good. I feel like September was the first month I can say about that I played with a good mindset. In previous months I was salty after a few bad sessions and I sometimes had the need to share my run bad. And where I sometimes slammed my wall (after continuous run bad for a longer time I did this a few times) now I smile and realize that things only can get better. Not focussing on things you can’t control makes life way easier, as long as you make the best decisions possible the results will eventually come. Something in line with this is looking at results, this is only distracting and you can’t influence it. Because of this is did not look at my results for the whole month (sometimes a bit challenging, but I recommend it!).

–        Not spending time on things that are not useful. I always had the bad habit to watch a lot of Youtube videos/Twitch streams, in recent months I realized that this is just a lot of wasted time. Nowadays I want to do as few things as possible that don’t have a positive contribution to my life in the long term.

–        Lifestyle improvements. I am member of a Dutch student association for more than 3 years now and I went to pretty much every party there was. This meant that I got drunk around 3 times each week. It’s always nice to go to these parties, however you waste so much time by doing it… Especially because after a night of drinking I am not able to be productive the next day. This college year I am not going to all the parties anymore because of this wasted time and I don’t have as much fun there as before (most of the parties are similar, same people, same place etc.). This will save me a lot of time to do other things 😊

–        Did a good heads up session with a friend, definitely learned a lot in that one 😊

Now review the goals I set for September:

–        I am writing my bachelor thesis this period, so I am not sure how much time I will have for poker. This is the reason why I won’t set any volume goals.

The first weeks after the holidays are always busy, especially in weekends so I didn’t have a lot of time. However, I think the volume is pretty good, I found a nice balance of (trying to) working on my thesis during the day and playing poker in the evenings. I also did 3 mtt sessions because of WCOOP resulting in 1 big score (won ~580 in a 5 dollar hyper) but lost quite a lot in the other sessions.

–        Marking and reviewing more hands. Also share more hands on discord.   

Still a problem is that at the beginning of the session I mark a lot of hands but after a few hours I don’t do this anymore… It’s probably because I am not as focussed as at the beginning of the session, any tips maybe?

–        Pay more attention to HUD postflop stats

Meh, maybe I do this a little bit more than before but not as much as I should be. My HUD needs an upgrade too.

The results for September:

When opening my graph for the first time in a month I expected it to be a lot worse because I felt like a lot of setups were in my disadvantage, especially on the 15’s (playing those again because my BR lets me to). So I am satisfied with the results and I feel that I can do even better in October.

15’s lifetime:

Goals for October:

–        I feel like I don’t need volume goals anymore because I am motivated enough to play every second I can play.

–        Studying more (poker and university wise). At least doing 50 questions from the quiz and reviewing all marked hands every day.

–        Improve my HUD and use it more when playing.

–        Do at least 2 review sessions together with another player.

GL on the tables and thanks for reading!

Menno

rye_tomy
    Participant

Solid graph despite low sample. I would say, dont get overwhelmed with marking hands and if you have like 30-40 hands from every session it will be hard to review them all. For example, set your weekly goal to preflop spots with 8-10bb and mark only those hands when you are unsure. And then review it in icimizer or hrc.

Gl at the tables!

demesside
    Participant

Yoo,

Having to travel for 1.5 hours by train to go to my hometown, a bit hangover and possibly still a little bit drunk: a perfect moment to write my update for October 😊 I went to the best party of my life this month and yesterday it was surprisingly nice at my student association (if you are interested in stories about those parties message me on discord :P).

Let’s split this update in 2 parts: 1 for the first half of the month and one for the second half. As you already probably know from my blog, I quite recently moved up stakes to the 15’s. Already after playing those for only a few weeks I became an overconfident fuck in them… Instead of playing 5/6 tables simultaneously I started playing 7/8 tables, resulting in a bad ev line for ~2000 games. I realized that something was going wrong, at first I blamed the card distribution ‘running into top range lots of the time in important spots causes that flat ev line’. However, after a conversation with tommie I realized that I was playing to many tables. Because of this I was missing exploits and making postflop mistakes, which lead to the flat ev line for ~2000 games (and yes, I still believe the card distribution wasn’t in my favour either but fuck that because you cannot influence it).

Graph for the first half of the month:

My own fault, but a good learning moment. Let’s play 5/6 tables again. Not only the amount of tables I was playing changed, but it also looked like something in my mind changed: instead of autopiloting I was way more focussed on the decision I was making. Using hud stats more, making better calls when postflop lines were not making sense, barrelling more postflop on cards that improved my range. Blablabla, you get it, in general I was playing way better than in the first half of the month.

Graph for 2nd half of the month:

Yeah, I also realize that the card distribution was in my favour and this roi isn’t attainable in the long term but still nice results :D

I want to highlight my session from yesterday: it almost felt like I was on some kind of drugs (no I wasn’t), I was crazily focussed and probably playing the best poker I ever did (in general I feel like the second part of October was the best period in my poker career). Maybe it has something to do with my background music, this is one of the best mixes I listened to in a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWItFKyHnIw

Enough jerking of on my own graphs, let’s review the goals I set.

Studying more (poker and university wise). At least doing 50 questions from the quiz and reviewing all marked hands every day.

Poker wise I definitely did, university wise it was pretty poor (I have enough respondents for my survey though, shout out to the pokerdutchies :D). I love the ICMizer update because now I can filter on for example only bubble spots in the quiz. However, I feel like I focussed too much on the quiz and not reviewed my own hands enough this month.

–        Improve my HUD and use it more when playing.

I made some small improvements in my HUD but I still don’t make enough use of the postflop stats.

Do at least 2 review sessions together with another player.

I did a good one with a new player, tbh I don’t know why we didn’t do a second one :P

Goals for November:

–        Not making the stupid mistake of playing too many tables again

–        Review my own hands more in ICMizer, especially looking at resteal spots more

–        Watch some of the RYE vids again

–        Do at least 3 review sessions with other players, if you are playing the same games I do don’t be too shy too contact me (I have to be more active myself in planning them too)

–        Finish that fucking thesis :’)

Attachments:
    rye_tomy
    Participant

Nice that you found out that playing too many tables is just not most +ev. Seems you are doing the right work in and off the tables!
    Keep it up and keep us updated. Glgl!

demesside
    Participant

Yoo guys,

Let’s start with saying that this was a weird month for me poker wise. At the beginning of the month everything was going very smooth in the hypers and my results were good. However, after a week or so I started playing some cash, because there were barely any 15’s and 7’s running (I don’t like playing 3,50’s anymore). Also some regs from higher stakes were playing the 15’s when they were running what was a bit annoying. I liked playing a different format for a few days and my results were pretty good on 25zoom. However, I also realized that this is not something I want to do for a longer period. So let’s try some MTT’s again :D. Made a good amount of money in those and I feel like I can apply a lot of the short stack/ICM/heads-up knowledge I gained in hypers in MTT’s, which gives me an edge over most regs in certain situations. I got second in the $22 triple threat, unfortunately lost the heads-up for the trophy versus Ami Barer for the trophy, but still a nice score (1k+ score). For me the problem with MTT’s is still that they are hard to combine with real life obligations.

So at the end of the month I started playing hypers again, what I liked a lot (might also be partly because of the nice results :P). There were a lot of games running in the evenings on my stakes and in general the games were pretty soft. Also the news of Partypoker investing more in sit&go’s looks very good (if you want more information about this message me on discord demesside#0654), I already moved some of my br to that site to play there.

Hypers this month:

Goals for November:

–        Review my own hands more in ICMizer, especially looking at resteal spots more

I feel like I did this a bit better than previous months.

–        Watch some of the RYE vids again

Watched a view of them.

–        Do at least 3 review sessions with other players, if you are playing the same games I do don’t be too shy to contact me (I have to be more active myself in planning them too)

Did 5 a 6 sessions :)

–        Finish that fucking thesis :’)

Almost done with it :D.

For December I will not set goals because I will be very busy with stuff outside of poker.

Thanks for reading!

Menno

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.