Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs Raising My Edge

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Participant

300bis below ev is deff not fun but like you said you learned a lot from it. Prob its best thing happend to you poker wise. Keep it up, study hard and graph will eventually change directions ?

Gl at the tables and crush in 2019!

the_koorn
    Participant

@ Cheers Craig, thanks for taking the time. Cool that I could be of any help in your decision. Definitely the right one^^ Good luck to you too, let’s crush together!

@ Good way to put it tomy. Probably the best thing that happened to me poker-wise, besides RYE of course:-) Thanks for all the positive support and all the technical stuff on Discord. GL in 2019 to you too.

So, just a short update today. Sometimes I just take things way too fucking serious. And sometimes I just can’t take anything serious at all. Will work on finding the right balance. My tip: Meditate. Self-Center. Open yourself up to your own perception. And for fucks sake do not abuse substances trying to get there. They will only get you further away from yourself. Trust your mind. It has more power that you can imagine in your wildest dreams. And then some.

Keep raising your edge everybody. And then some.

koorn

the_koorn
    Participant

On days like this it’d be so freaking easy to just give up. On the tables it feels like nothing works. I always think it can’t get worse and then I’m baffled at just how much can go wrong. But I don’t want to be a little crybaby. Although it’s really tough not to be one after running awful for upwards of 150000 hands now… But that kind of thinking does not make me a better player.

I promised myself I won’t let negative variance beat me. If I should not make it, then because I can’t get my skill up high enough. Not because I was stuck in a bad run for a year. Plus: Eating shit for such a long time really helps build your character. There just is no excuse for not working hard. And I feel like I was severely lacking there. I turned my life around 180 degrees the last couple of years and I’m fucking proud of that. All in the name of going pro. I’m not going to let variance take that from me.

Maybe I’m gonna post my graph one of these days. Not that I can feel sorry for myself. But to show some of you guys who are also stuck in a bad run not to worry too much since it can always be worse. Not sure yet. Need to make sure I’m not doing it out of self-pity but to help others.

hope you guys stay positive and keep raising your edge

koorn

the_koorn
    Participant

Ok so I’m not gonna post my graph here. No point in doing so really. I’d just be doing it to fish for sympathy. But I have got a way better alternative, believe it or not: I’m not gonna mention runbad/rungood any more. There just is no point really. I am gonna talk about how to deal with it, but not about my specific variance. If I haven’t got any influence over it, why bother.

Felt like I came out through the other side today. Went down in limits and kept playing. Like Dusty says: Don’t stop playing and pretend like you didn’t went on tilt. Like Headspace teaches you: Don’t fight against your emotions, embrace them. Even the best Pros can have loosing years (yes, really) so stop complaining and figure out how to put in more work than you did before.

One way to do that is to analyse more hands more in depth. So if I have any interesting hands I’m going to discuss them here. And since interesting hands are happening all the time there really is no excuse not to talk about them. After all, having your life and mindset in order is nice and all, but it’s no substitute for technical work.

hope you guys do your homework and keep raising your edge,

koorn

frugalore
    Participant

I’m not sure if you have the bad habit of trying to get unstuck from a bad session, by keeping on playing until you get unstuck or physically collapse. I have occasionally fallen into this routine and have played for up to three days+ around the clock, with mixed results ?.  The worst of it is that these routines are bad for a persons physical and mental health.  Although, I must admit they are challenging and somewhat invigorating processes of trying to not go on super tilt and survive the whole ordeal, each unique.

How I control this bad trait of mine is by setting time limits for a playing session and sticking to it.  I try to visualize a session as a timed sporting event like a football or boxing match with fixed time controls.  Now I never play none stop for more than a full day, which is something I’m grateful of achieving.

Good luck on your endeavours to become a winning poker player.  It surely is a tough struggle to be successful at, with lots of surreal variance.

Cheers ?.

rye_tomy
    Participant

Hypers can be fcking brutal i know… :/ What about leaving hypers alone for a couple of days and when grinding register only turbo sngs? Just a little change, you will play deeper poker, your mindset can change and maybe you will start loving them like i did :D

And ofc post hands on discord where you feel you have problems and you will get quickest feedback. Wish you luck on the tables and i hope this turns around rather quick!

tommie_to
    Participant

Yeah, I agree with Tomy. There is no fun in grinding hypers when the run bad is exhausting you. Try turbos, the variance is way and way better, even if it would just increase your ROI a tiny bit compared to hypers. Also, I think it is good to mix up formats a bit now and then, even if it is just for the learning curve. Glgl on the tables!

the_koorn
    Participant

@frugalore Damn playing for three days straight is pretty impressive dude. Unhealthy, but impressive nonetheless. Actually my problem is pretty much the opposite. Once the “Hour of Showers” (as Tonka puts it) starts happening and I run into setup after setup or get a dozen bad beats in a row I actually tend to feel a strong urge to stop playing. But I deal with that problem with setting volume goals, so trying to get to 50 tables before even thinking about taking a break, for example. For now, I can only dream about playing nonstop for a whole day. Need to get more in control of my emotional reaction to the game before I can do that.

@tomy Yeah, I will definitely post hands on discord where I want feedback. But I thought I might just put a few of those hands in here also, taking time to reflect on them and trying to maybe give some technical value to interested readers. Will see. Discord first, blog second I guess.

@tommie/tomy You guys have a point. When it’s exhausting to grind, then try to get some variety. And looking at it from a technical viewpoint, playing 75bb deep is a good help in rounding up my leaky postflop game. I’m actually pretty happy grinding hypers no matter the variance, I like how fast they progress. But your points are well put and I’ll probably consider playing some turbos in the future.

No poker today, just wanted to put out some answers to you guys. Been dealing with internet connection issues for almost two years now and with my old ISP absolutely nothing happened. Changed ISP about two months ago and they just dug up the street to look for the problem today. They say they found the issue and rectified it. So let’s hope for the best! Pretty stoked about that. Did not think they would move that fast. Tomorrow it’s back to the grind and back to the course. Have been slacking off there a bit too in december so let’s get back to working hard.

hope you guys have a nice day and keep raising your edge,

koorn

cmmd11483
    Participant

Hey Koorn, I found this website whilst trying to strengthen my thought processes during hands, https://automaticpoker.com, and I really like how he describes the fundamentals and their application. I read his full website, especially the tutorial and the strategy articles, and then his book and even though it is centered around a short stack cash game, his process of building strategies is great.

When watching bencb’s videos after doing this they make a lot more sense to me. Beforehand I found the content difficult to digest as bencb is clearly thinking on a higher level.

I then found another book on amazon called ‘Crushing Low Stakes Poker: The Essential Guide to Dominating Low Stakes Sit ’n Gos, Volume 3: Hyper Turbos’ which put the fundamentals into context in a 6max hyper environment.

I am now in the process of taking all of the information in the above sources and using them to build a core strategy around the hyper video course that I can confidently adjust to different stake levels and opponents. This has taken me most of January to do but it has been quite enlightening.

All of this may be below your current level but I thought I would post this anyway just in case a return to the fundamentals could help your game get back on track.

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.