Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Poker from Chicago am Rhein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Guys and Girls,

It is the first time i ever do something like this. So I am not sure how this “blog” is going to look like.  So what is a good starting point? Probably me

Who am I?

I am 25 years old and live in Cologne (Germany). At the moment i am doing my Master degree at the University of Cologne and i work part time in a school’s after-school program, which is a lot of fun. I am a rather introverted person  and it is hard for me to move myself out of my comfort zone. I hope that the writing and the “putting myself out there” might help me. So i guess just writing this is a good first step.

Poker?

I started playing poker a couple of years ago. Me and my friends were playing little homegames nearly every weekend.  Soon after that i started playing online on fulltilt. I always was more interested in poker than my friends and so i started to search  free training content on youtube. I watched all the videos (the training and all the fun hands out there) and was wondering why i still did not win at poker especially in online poker as i was always one of the biggest winners in our homegames (which is no too hard to be fair). I basically stopped playing online poker in the following years and just played in our regularly homegames (which kept going, just the members changed and now we played CG).

So around one year ago i started playing online more regularly again, which means like around two times a week for a couple of hours. I started playing Micro MTT and MTT SNG. I was bleeding money for the most part, having a good score here. But overall was loosing money.  But then like two weeks ago i came heads up in the deep 2.20 and ended up making a deal for around 300$ which was my biggest score till then. And just a the next day i finished third in the Big 4.40 for around 690$. So I am obviously a winnig player now ;) After that i decided to make an smart investment and buy the RYE Masterclass (Apprentice). And the decision instantly got rewarded as i got 4th in the Big. (So three scores whih all would be my highest ever in around two weeks).  I want to get better at the game, which i really enjoy to play. Thats the plan. So I am going to play mostly 5-11 $MTT with an BRM on the conservative side (350-160) and work on my game an then i will see if Imix in some higher BI.

So here I am.  Also i want to use all the really good content which is not about poker and try to incorporate more good habbits in my day to day live.  I already started using the App Primed Mind a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy it. But i want to do the meditation more regularly. Pokerwise it is hard to say how much i will be able to play in the next weeks because there is a lot of work to do for university and im also doing an advanced training. So i will see.

On RYE Mastercalls so far. Just watched the introduction videon (I guess thats why i am writing this) and the Openraising Theory video.  Relating to “Take Action” in this video i have a question to you. It is about constructing OPR Ranges for the different stack sizes. I wanted to use Equilab to create those but I struggle to marc the different categories (like Raise/Fold to 3 Bet, raise 4 bet shove etc.) in different colours. Does anyone know how to do this? Or knows an other programm to do the homework?

Thank you. Keep up the great work.

Weezy

elrondsbote
    Participant

Hey, welcome to RYE, great that you decided to write a blog here ;)

Me and some other students have a german study/pokertalk discord server. We all play Micro/lowstakes MTTs, we would love to welcome you there if u are interested ;)

Cheers ;)

rye_tomy
    Participant

Hey man and welcome to RYE community! Deff you made great decision to buy Masterclass and also make sure that join on discord app. Looking foward to your progress!

Gl at the tables!

kweezy14
    Participant

Thanky for the warm welcome!

@elrondsbote I would love to join your study group. how can i join?

I am going to play a bigger Session today. In Cologne it is the beginning of carneval today, but i was ill this week and i dont feel like going out. So i decided to play some poker today. Excited!

Goals for today session:

1. In Game awareness when open Raising (esp. looking at BTN and BB) -> set Alarm on every 10 min to not get in auto pilot
    2. Mark every Hand i am unshure about preflop
    3. Check this hands with the Ranges after session or tomorrow

elrondsbote
    Participant

Here u can join (works 24h….)

https://discord.gg/jhYr7

See u there :)

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey,

@elrondsbote the link does not work. It says that it is too old or not coreect. Could you send me a new one? Thanks

Sooo,

Session yesterday went really really poorly but thats okay.  I think i played good for the most part. I the beginning i was really concentrated and focused. Although I  ran really cold and got a lot of bad beats i felt like mike mindset was strong enough to cope with it. Or at least a lot better then i used to. This is a really big improvement and important in my poker game i feel. It is a thing i really want to keep working on. For me it seems to be verry effective to use the meditation from Primed Mind before my session. It is pokers pecific and reminds me to look at each hand for itself. It also brings me in a really good state of mind in which i feel self confident and focused.

As for my goals i set myself

1 In Game awareness when open Raising-> set Alarm on every 10 min to not get in auto pilot
    2. Mark every Hand I am unsure about preflop
    3. Check this hands with the Ranges after session or tomorrow

1. I set the alarm for like the first two hours and felt that it helps me a lot. Having a look on the BTN and BB and other Stacksizes before Raising and then adjust if possible! Forgot to put alarm on after around two hours and then got back in autopilot a bit. -> Will use Alarm on next session! -> I recognized that I need more time to act when I try to be aware. Had a couple of times where i timed out because of it. -> Play less tables to get more used to it
    2. / 3. I marked a ton of hand which i will review now!

Also i just finished my schedule for my “Grind Month”. Starting from monday and ending 4 weeks a later i wrote down every day and what i am going to do on it. It is filled with a of work, studying for university, doing sport and Poker Sessions (both stduying and playing). I will not be drinking alcohol and want to adopt some good day to day habbits as meditating every day, take a cold shower every day (the “cold” is going to be pretty hard for me i guess) and writing down my daily goals and resume them in the evening. I am excited to see how this will work out.

Have a great day! And good luck on the massve sunday fiedls if you are playing.

See ya

elrondsbote
    Participant
    rye_tomy
    Participant

Really like your 2nd and 3rd goals. I think that way you can progress the fastest! Just dont forget to do the homework (after or before the session) and if you after review are still unsure about the hand, just post it here or on discord and we will look at it and give you feedback 

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey Boys and Girls,

Already five day since my last post. What happend?

I started my “Grind Month” in which I have planned out every with stuff i want to do on the day. So far I am doing good and i like the feeling of getting shit done. One of the things i do is getting up at 7.00-7.30 every day and start the day with a meditation and a shower. Missed the meditation one time so far but always had the shower in the morning. I feel like thats a good habit for me as i feel really fresh and reay to go after although I am not going for the cold shower 100% (I mostly start warm and then move to cold. Can not make myself turn on the cold water immediately. I dont know how you all  do it. Haha.). Except the temperature of my shower i feel like I am making a good progress in general relating to my work ethic and the effectivity of the hours i spend on studying (for university or Poker). So in my Grind Month there are specific times for me to study poker (not as many as i would like it to be but university and work need their time to) and i think i did a good job on this. Did a some work on the preflop Ranges (open raising), reviewed a lot of hands of my last session (I try to mark every preflop spot i am unsure about, especially open raising as this is “my” topic at the moment). The review i do with ICMizer for Chip EV spots (calling shoves, reshoving etc.) and the RYE preflop Ranges if I am not sure what I should do with a certain Hand w x BBs. After sunday I played just one session yesterday in which I played just 18 Tournament (with some SNG) and ended up loosing. I stopped to register nex tournaments early because I did not feel like I played good at all. So i am reviewing my marked Spots from this session now and want to share some interesting spots with you:

@rye_tomy Here you go!

1) Not a preflop spot
    Tournament: 4.50 SNG; We are in the money and somewhere near the final table (but we are playing 9 handed so have to be at least 17 left) and we are playing 40 BB effective this hand.

LuckyOrc (22542 in chips): Just have 50 hands on him. (22/16, more on the tighter side i guess)
    KWeezy14 (16006 in chips)

Level IX (200/400) –

I have a my favourite hand: AA in MP and raise to 840 and LuckyOrc in CO calls in HJ.

Flop: Q72 (rainbow)

I bet 901 and get raised to 3167 and call.

My thinking on this flop: As this is a really dry flop i will bet quite small and with a lot of my hands. He has some Qx in his range as KQs, Qjs, QTs and maybe Q9s. Also he will continue with some of the PPs he has flatted like 88,99,TT. I dont expect to get raised on this flop too much as there are no draws. When he raises my thinking was: SHIT. In my experience it is not good to get raised on a dry flop like this if you have “just” one pair. I bahope he is overplaying a Qx here or that he is raising some BDFD/BDSD. On the other side he das not a lot of value hands. For value he could be raising all his sets (77,22 as he does not have QQ) and thats pretty much it. And is he really going to raise his sets on such a dry flop?  I think folding AA here would be way too weak, so i call.

Turn: T bringing in no FD (rainbow)

I check and he checks back.

Thinking: As i am either way behind vs his value hands or way ahead of his bluffs i decided to check. When he checks back i actually feel pretty good about my hand. I dont he checks back a set on the turn when de decided to raise it on the flop so i think it is likely he has a Qx or some random bluff which he decided to shut down.

River T

I decided to bet 2400 into 9ooo pot and he raises to 12.000 which puts me all in. i decided to fold

Thinking: On the River i just felt that i have to bet my hand for value. I bet small to get a call from his Qx.  In the moment he raises I just could not find a lot of bluffs he played this way and that was he reason i folded. In hindsight i am not really sure about my river play. Should i have checked to him with the intention of bluffcatching? And I bet should i be calling the all in? he represents not a lot of value hands on this River (22, 77, and maybe some Tx like JTs or QTs with BDFD he decided to raise on the flop and check turn because of showdown value).

What do you guys think? What would you do different on flop, turn and river? Because he/she was a nice person and showed me the cards i can tell you later what he/she had but I think it is always better for everyones thiniking process to not know the hand.

2) as i could not find a really interestin preflop spot one more postflop spot

5.5 Marathon; Level XIV (500/1000) before the money not near bubble

Seat 6: PASKIN84 (144032 in chips) in BB
    Seat 8: KWeezy14 (36786 in chips) in UTG+1

Preflop: I raise to 2100 and just BB calls.

Flop: A5T rainbow-> i bet 2000 in 5600

Thinking: i thinki betting with a lot of your hands here is a good idea as we play UTG vs BB on an A high flop and we have a huge Range advantage (Having all the good aces, sets and two pairs). Dont know about my sizing. I think i could go a bit smaller like 1/3

Turn: 6 (still rainbow)

With my hand i think i have a pretty clear value bet and so i bet 4000 in 9600.

Thinking: Board is still pretty dry and i dont have to fear too many rivers and i want him to call with some of his weaker Hands like som Tx and of course his weaker Ax.

River: 7

I bet again 7000 in 17.000

Thinking: I went for the sizing for the same reason as on the turn. I want him to call with some of his weaker hands. I think his tx will not calls river probably but his Ax maybe. So i dont want to make it too big. On the other side i am not eally sure which hands can call me down here. A8,A9, and AJ are really the only hands i beat which he calls down and he could easily trap his value hands on this dry Flop/Turn/river or just call down with some of his weaker two pairs and we hate our life when he raises river and have to fold.  So i guess my question is: Do we have value bet on this River or should we just check?

As i did not have an interesting preflop spot so share i want to ask you a more general question: What edge chip-EV wise (+BB EV) do we want to have to make a shov/reshove or call? I read that it has something to do with how deep we are. As we get deeper we want to skip on really marginal shoves/calls which we need to take when we are shorter, because we want to  reduce variance and have an postflop edge. I guess what I am asking for is a guideline like 2-10BB we need more then +.1 BB , 10-15 +.2BB and 15-20 +.3BB.

Thats it for today. I am really looking forward to some feedback of you and hope you enjoyed reading the blog.

See you

kweezy14
    Participant

Whats up guys (and girls ) Weezy here,

Long time no see. Already two wekas since I wrote here. Since then i starteded doing a retraining which starts at 8.30 and finishes at 16.00 every day from monday to friday. Although this takes a lot of time i feel like it helps me a lot. I learn a lot and feel like i am making good progess. Also this retraining will give me some new job possibilities in the future which is super nice and I am really excited for this changes.

I also nearly finished the third week of “Grind Month”. So far i am really happy with the effort I am putting in. I noticed that when i have a plan (of what to do on each day) it really helps me a lot to execute. If i would not have such a plan i would probably just go home after the retraining and do whatever. But with my plan i managed to get around 2 extra hours of study (most of it for Uni but also poker) in my day to day routine and I am really happy about that. So one thing I definitely take away from this month is that it helps m alot to make a plan for myself not just to organize myself bu also to make myself mor effective and productive (never really did that before). Also i manged to go to the gym around 3 times a week and went for a run or played some soccer once a week which is always good, even though this is not the part of my life where I tend to struggle.

So Poker…. As I told you i was able to include around 2 hours of study time each day. Most of it i studied for Uni but i also got in some poker study sessiond. I finished the flattcalling and 3 Betting video.  I really takes me a lot of time to watch the videos. I always make notes directly and try to understand what Ben ist telling me. The hard part for me is to implement the new information into my game. So what I do is i write down session goals before each session on a sheet of paper and put it on my desk. For example: I know that I am not 3 betting enough from all positions but esspecially from LP and BB. -> 3 Betting from LP/BB. This helps myself to remind me of the things I have to focus on this session.  Always on this list is “In Game Awareness” as I feel like this should be one main part of our poker ability and I think i am really not good at it. It is so important as it impacts every aspect of our game. We can just adjust if we are aware of our opponents! If I am not focused on the game I am not just not aware but also making a lot of other mistakes. So I feel one of my biggest leaks is my ability to focus on the game. So my goal is to do meditation before every session because it helps me to focus and to tilt less. One other thing i worked on is still my “open raise” Ranges. Every session I am marking a lot of handy where i am unsure about what to do with this hand and x BB. But I noticed that I am really close for the most part. So when i have 40 BB in UTG1 i maybe be unsure with 87s/A8s or KQo but know what to do with the main part of my Range. But i will keep on working on that: My Preflop Ranges are the basis for my postflop game and I want to feel confident in my preflop game before moving on. So there is a lot of work to do!  Relating to the homework of the flatcalling/3 Betting video I wanted to know how you guys did it? Did you comment your thought process and did you just record somewhere in your session or waited for some deep run?

And yes, i played some poker in the last week. But not a lot. I played 85 tournament and won 14$. I had a deeprun in the 2.20 Bubble Rush and finished 2 for 194$. (making a deal heads up). I just made the deal because  it was really late, i had to get up early next day and because of that i was not interested in playing 80 bb deep heads up. I think in this situation my decision was definitely -$ev but + having a good next day ev. so I am happy with my decision of making a deal there. I think my mistake is not to make the deal but to register for a tournament which will take too long (if you have to get uo early). So one more aspect I have to take care of when to register tournaments.  Then i played yesterday and i think i had my worst session ever. I played 22 tournament on pokerstars and did not cashed 1. Also played 4 on partypoker and managed to get my first and only cash of the day. I ran really bad and I lost my focus. I realised just now that I think my tilt has changed.  Since a cpuple of month ago i used to really get angry, mad and to wallow in self pitty. Then I started to try to focus on the things I can cantrol and not to use my brain capacity for this shit (obviously that does not work all the time but i got alot better). So my “new” tilt ist to loose my focus and to start watching on twitch or youtube when I run bad and bust a lot of tournament. Then I feel not like playing anymore and start deviate myself with videos while playing my last tables which is really bad. What do you guys do to keep ypur foucus when running bad?

Thats it for today. Sorry for my unstructured writing. I just started to write an then wanted to talk about so many different aspects. Hope you still enjeyed it.

See you.

rye_mariano5

Nice work buddy!  Sounds like you have a lot on your plate but manage to keep the good habits going.

rye_tomy
    Participant

About AA hand, i would bet bigger on river (because to 50% bet he is not folding Q) and call off his jam. His action in my eyes is not making much sense. On a rainbow Q72 i think they will call 22 and 77 a lot. If they raise they will continue on turn and he checks. So not much sense in his action, thats why i would call his jam. He may have counter fited Q7, or just KQ, QJ now deciding to jam.

What is your hand in second example?

kweezy14
    Participant

@rye_tomy Thanks for your input. Yeah his line makes no sense at all. i also could hav check/called river to induce bluffs. I think bet/fold was the worst possible option there for me. He showed J9s for BDSD and BDFD and a bluff on the river.

In the second hand i had AQo

kweezy14
    Participant

What up yuys and Girls?

I am back after another four weeks of not putting in the effort of writing this blog…. Because this is the first blog in the new year I just want to do a reylly short review on 2017. Pokerwise it was definately the first year for me as a winning poker player! So I manged to be up over the total year and not to fire away a couple of “Bankrolls” which feels pretty good. so far I am not winning overall but that time will come! As this year is going really bad so far I moved down stakes again. Playing 3-7.5 and skipping the 11 $. I think it is really important to be confident in the stakes you are playing and I was really feeling about loosing “so much” money in one day/week. So happy that I moved down a bit. Other thing is that I am not super condifent in my game which is definately a result of my “downswing” and might also be a factor of my downswing as I am pretty sure that I am playing worse when I am not confident. Only possibility to gain that confidence is to put in the study and playing hours. I am lacking on both sides. As far as study goes i was doing some review sessions with the german study group which I are felt really helpful. we had a review of a final table i played and we found a lot of pots I was doing mistakes. So I am looking forward of doing more of theese. Before i have never talked with someone about hands of mine as I had no one to do it with. It also feels a bit uncomfortable to put myself out there. But thats probably part of the process.

One othe thing I noticed for myself is that I dont want to talk about what I want to do as much anymore (In this blog but also in general). I just feel that it does not help myself. If I want to change things and improve (not only in poker) I have to do shit!So more talking about things i actually do and not about hings I want to do.  So what I do ist to write down goals I want to reach in one month and try to accomplish those. So in January I managed to meditate every day and start doing yoga regular. I have to say that the Yoga sessions really improved my coenesthesis. Afte doing it I just feel really good with my boda and my mind.  Often I do my meditation after the yoga and that seems to work really good. Also started reading Tools of Titans and listening to some podacast of Tim Ferris which I find very interesting and inspiring.

So I have my goals for the next month written down and we will see how I do. Lets Crush!

Thats it for now. Always happy about  any feedback from you.

Weezy

rye_mariano5

Great to hear about your progress!

good luck in February! Keep improving!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.