Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Poker Ascension; My Journey To A Decent Poker Income And Beyond

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Great Post!

Just wanna ask you why do you Recommend the HU Course, and not another Cash Game Course?

Thanks and keep crushing:)

If we’re talking about Doug’s, he was the best HU player in the world, honestly his course was very very sloppily done in terms of presentation and in that regard was very disappointing, but the information itself was tremendous, you just have to deal with the shitty way he half assed things.

At the end of the day I would recommend anything that pays dividends and Doug’s course 10000000% does that, HU is the basis for good poker and even if you just wanna play the HU pko zooms, Doug’s course is well worth it.

////

While I am not happy with my SCOOP performance, I have things to be happy with and I want to share them (most taking plcae in the last two weeks), if only for my own sanity, so I don’t spiral too negatively, not chronological or with any sort of numeric meaning:

1.I stuck to my diet and it’s at it’s lowest in terms of calorie wise, yes I can diet on 2-2.3k for another 4-6 months, but I’d rather just go extreme and get it over with in the next month or two. Although it is hard, I have stuck to it 100% and not been tempted to cheat. This is thanks to my motivation being sky high due to having negative externalities taking place which I am turning into a positive.

2.Although my SCOOP run wasn’t successful as a whole, I am still up during it, I did learn A TON as far as overfolding in spots, the nature of MTTs as far as 6m, 8m, 9m which are different than 3m and hu, these lessons will be extremely valuable in the future and I am very grateful for them.

3.I significantly upgraded my wardrobe with a ton of new things that I really enjoy, a watch, a chain, 12+ new shirts, 3+ new jeans and even some new art for my house. The most money I’ve spent on stuff like this in my life at around 500 Euro (lmao not even that much) and it’s really made me feel more confident, I mostly think fashion is bullshit, but what matters is fit, feel and how your physique looks and these clothes go extremely well with what I’m working with.

4.I have committed to many new positive habits:
    I will start to learn the piano soon (will look into this in the coming week or two)
    I have stopped scrolling the internet before bed and will not be allowed to do this, I will instead do this as long as I want on my couch during the day if I so choose, just NOT before I go to sleep (waking up is fine)
    I am going to start reading Bulgarian again, I am setting a watch and focusing for 15 minutes, no excuses, I can check my phone twice during that time period to see the time and nothing else

5.I found a new student who has the most potential of any of the people I worked with, 6th time is the charm I guess? Although things did not work out with the other students, most on amicable terms, one that made a grave mistake, they did help me formulate systems, teaching methods and a catalogue of resources which I will now employ on him and he is BY FAR the most important one I’ve had.

6.This is the most I’ve played during a series and although it wasn’t perfect or even “great,” it was adequate in the sense that I was putting in 50+ hours weekly, whereas I’d usually play for 4-6 hours per day during a series and then pussy out. Again this wasn’t ideal, but it is technically the MOST and best I’ve played which is something to be proud of on the grand scale of things.

7.I have put myself out there in a variety of new things, made some new contacts and just been having new experiences which although not always great are interesting and do help me come up with creative and genius new ideas as far as dealing with them whether good or bad.

8.This log has been a Godsend in allowing me to think about things more clearly, then write about them and perhaps even meet some new interesting people. I have created a BRM strategy, it has brought out some interesting musings and in the future I have no doubt can be limitless in the good things it will create for others and myself.

9.My workouts have been going very well, I have not jeaprodized myself by doing anything dumb, I have trained around things, I have recovered well and I have been progressing very nicely

10.Although SCOOP has not necessarily gone the way I wanted to, I have to remind myself that literally 4 months ago I was happy with a $350 win putting my BR up to 2.5k which was only up $600 in 3 months lmfao, now I literally play tournies for that win amount. On the overall progress scale, I went from not playing poker 2.5 years ago, playing poker two years ago, losing at poker, slightly winning at poker, crushing low stakes, moving up to mid stakes, crushing mid stakes and begginning to play at high stakes.

Yeah it sucks downswinging and downswinging 3k+, but that is the nature of the beast, this is what I signed up for and this is something I should get used to, a 3k downswing is basically 1 530 w a rebuy, 1 215 w 3 rebuys, 3 109s w 2 rebuys and 12 55s, barely 20 tournies so nothing.

I am beating the games that I am up to, I am continually striving to get better, I am learning from my mistakes which ensures long term growth and even within the vicinity of only 4 months I have made tremendous strides. These are great things not to be taken lightly and I need to appreciate them.

speanuts
    Participant

Thanks for this post mate!
    Really loved reading it

transcendev
    Participant

Thanks for this post mate!

Really loved reading it

Glad you enjoyed it.

Let’s keep the rants going.

Success In Poker; How To Set Good Baselines And Goals

There are genetic baselines, there are genetic ceilings, the important thing is to be REALISTIC and NOT delude ourselves we can do everything and anything, poker is absolutely no different.

The greatest predictor for success in poker is your IQ, yeah I’m sure some people will disagree, but having seen 100+ graphs of people that grind 30+ SNGs nearly everyday for years on end (sick work ethic) and basically getting nowhere, there is obviously more than just “work hard bro.” I’ve realized that IN GENERAL your IQ is the greatest predictor of your success, this isn’t to say it’s the only predictor or that you can’t overcome it in a certain sense, but it’s a very uphill battle.

90-100; This is below average which means you will need to have IMPECCABLE systems in place and be willing to work very hard in terms of information collection, grinding yourself into dust is not something you want to do, what will matter most is the system you have in place for success. Who you study with, what they teach, the information retention, everything you do away from the table will have to be VERY calculated as you have ZERO room for error.

100-110; Average to slightly above average, better than above, but not ideal. Not quite as drastic as above, but it is certainly not as if you have much more room for error.

110-125; Getting into the well above average category, this is a sweet spot for success in poker, although fatal flaws can completely crush you, so can moving up too fast, so can playing too high and so can hubris from actually being smarter.

126 and beyond; Obviously a 35+ inch starting vert is better than a 25+ inch starting vert, but this guarantees nothing at the end of the day.

Now I can already hear the groans, claims about low IQ people succeeding, claims about high IQ people failing. WHAT MATTERS ISN’T OUTLIERS, WHAT MATTERS IS THE STATISTICAL CLUSTER OF DATA OR IN OTHER WORDS, WHAT WE CAN GLEAN FROM A TOTAL DATA SET, NOT JUST INDIVIDUAL NOISES IN THEM. If you’re playing poker and you know population cbets 66%, playing with a player who you have over 1k hands with who only cbets 33% DOES NOT invalidate this.

IQ is an excellent predictor of success, not the only, but knowing your own can give you REALISTIC expectations or even urge you not to pursue something out of your grasp, not even poker in general, but let’s say thinking you can beat the highest stakes when you’re starting at 98 IQ which may be close to impossible or at least very hard without a perfect system and gameplan in place.

So let’s keep going:
    1.IQ

2.The smart work you put in place

3.Mitigation of fatal flaws

If I were starting out again and I could apply what I know, I’d do the following:

1.Learn the basics through whatever method is the most interesting (watching streamers, watching streamer highlights, watching poker on tv etc etc) and by basics I mean rules and basic things like cbetting top pairs, defending pairs in blinds v bets, not opening 27o ever etc.

2.Get Ben’s course (depending on which game I want to crush), get Doug Polk’s HU course and get a RIO membership and depending on where my IQ fell do what it takes to succeed. I would try and study as much as possible within week 1 without playing, but if one did want to play, 2NL and sub $5 MTTs are horrendous, so even with basic basics, you should be G2G. Then I would set aside a certain amount of hours per week to go over the information again and again, the lower one’s IQ, the more review you will need.

3.Start a thread asking “why do people fail in poker” and then use the information gleaned there to monitor myself to ensure I do NOT do those things or if I do that I eventually correct them

4.After all of this, set REALISTIC goals which will keep me motivated, but also not delude me if I don’t have genetic capacity to achieve level “X.”

Fatal flaws. Fatal flaws can kill you, would you eat at an AMAZING and CHEAP restaurant that smelled like literal shit? Would you date a hot woman who cheats on you and treats like you shit? So the point is that fatal flaws can destroy anything, amazing restaurants, hot women etc etc.

This is a marginal utility curve, learn it, let it become your best friend. Marginal utility curves are one of the best concepts one can learn, I’ll give some basic examples so people get the idea:

A.Going to the gym, there is a sweet spot where you put in the amount necessary to make the maximum gains in the field you pursue, but there is too little which means you’re not maximizing gains or too much where you could say although you might exceed someone doing 80-90%, the odds of you injuring yourself increase so greatly it is not worth it

B.Fashion, there are basics of fashion that matter most like fit, feel, complimenting your features that greatly exceed the importance of name brand, but there is also a sweet spot of getting something people will admire the name brand for, but also like the way it looks on you. However, spending $1000 on an individual clothing piece may not be the best thing relative to what you’re trying to accomplish.

C.Poker, in poker I’ll give a personal example, yes I could in theory dedicate myself to grinding 40+ hours weekly, multi tabling and trying to squeeze out EVERY profit that I possibly could from poker. However, the amount of pain and hatred I will feel GREATLY exceeds the “more money” I will make and almost all but ensures either failure (don’t want this), burning out (don’t want this either), dejection despite success (nope) or even feeling like I’m doing a regular job (HATE this).

What matters in terms of marginal utility curve is your praxis or starting principles, there are sweet spots in EVERYTHING, but you need to be clear about what you’re trying to accomplish.

So getting back to fatal flaws, the reason marginal utility curves matter is that you can be sick everywhere, but the utility you suck out in any of the following fatal flaws (not meant to be a total list, just basic basic overview) can DESTROY YOU:

1.Laziness, i.e playing 4-5 tournaments a week

2.Distraction, i.e not focusing at all on the tables you’re playing

3.Tilt, i.e making decisions you KNOW are bad

4.Bankroll management, i.e taking shots you are not ready for

5.NOT doing what you should, i.e disregarding good advice, not being disciplined, not humbling yourself ever

A fatal flaw can kill you NO MATTER YOUR IQ or even if it doesn’t kill you, it can greatly hamper you, so work on either conquering your fatal flaw and just making it a weakness or AT LEAST BE COGNIZANT OF IT. If you want to learn more about fatal flaws read/watch (more leadership based, but with a bit of thought it’s similar in poker):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackzenger/2016/04/07/do-you-have-a-fatal-flaw/#2dc8cbce6569

So let’s sum up:

1.Recognize your genetic potential and recognize that genetic potentials exist and matter. Then set REALISTIC goals based on this.

2.Commit to doing what it takes to succeed, but don’t lust after hard work and grinding yourself into dust, seek to work SMART, remember the Von Manstein matrix and these two quotes;

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-clever-and-lazy-leaders-are-more-efficient-2013-11

Master the best that other people have ever figured out. Don’t just try to dream it all up yourself. Nobody’s that smart.

Reading books is like conversation with the finest minds of past centuries. Or in this case, watching videos from the best crushers in the world is like private coaching from the elite of the elite.

Leverage your self knowledge into a gameplan for information application

3.NO MATTER YOUR FUCKING IQ, DOING INSANE THINGS CAN DESTROY YOU, REALIZE THIS. HUMBLE YOURSELF AND SEEK TO AT LEAST MITIGATE OR DECREASE YOUR WEAKNESS, YOU DON’T HAVE TO TURN IT INTO A STRENGTH (THIS MAY BE IMPOSSIBLE), BUT REMEMBER THIS QUOTE:

If we understand what influences us, we might avoid certain traps and understand why others act like they do. We can’t eliminate mistakes, but we can prevent those that can really hurt us.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed that and got something out of it, as always questions, comments, rebuttals or ideas are always welcome, just keep in mind I will defend my points and if we don’t agree that’s fine too, that’s what spurs others to make up their own minds, a Hegelian dialectic, thesis (what I wrote), anti thesis (what someone else can write back) and synthesis (what the reader of both can decide) and that’s why debates are structured in the way they are. As long as people are respectful, I fully appreciate disagreements as a form of potential growth for me, either in teaching me or edifying and clarifying my own thoughts.

Author’s note: I realize I am very VERY liberal with my use of caps, bold fonts and lists, it is what it is, that’s how I write due to my own preference. Although I can appreciate some people might not like it, it is my right to write how I please and I’m NOT going to stop doing this.

carl91
    Participant

Hey man, enjoying all these updates.

I am still very curious about your MTT schedule. As I understand, you played 41 tournaments throughout the SCOOP series correct? All of which in that 41 tournament sample were Zoom PKO format? Now, you hypothesize that 1 x ZOOM PKO tourney is like playing 4-6 x regular MTTs? So that would equate to somewhere between 160-240 regular MTTs over the SCOOP series? That still just seems low volume wise to me, and you could be sacrificing some EV.

Btw what is your calorie maintenance level?

transcendev
    Participant

I am still very curious about your MTT schedule. As I understand, you played 41 tournaments throughout the SCOOP series correct? All of which in that 41 tournament sample were Zoom PKO format? Now, you hypothesize that 1 x ZOOM PKO tourney is like playing 4-6 x regular MTTs? So that would equate to somewhere between 160-240 regular MTTs over the SCOOP series? That still just seems low volume wise to me, and you could be sacrificing some EV.

Hey Carl thank you for the question, SCOOP is SCOOP, I didn’t focus on zooms although I did play a few, I just played a relatively regular schedule which was actually my biggest and most tournies played during a series.

It’s not a hypothesis, I’ll explain it to you, let’s use 3 as the baseline as that is generally about how many more hands you can play per hour which is self evident as why it would be 3x more tournaments. So let’s say 55 hands per hour v 170 hands per hour. Of the 55 hands, how many do you actually play? Let’s say around 25% total so 13, of the 13 how much maneuverability is there post flop? Let’s say 6, so 6 TRUE hands played post flop where you can generate some sort of advantage.

Now let’s talk the PKO zooms which are mostly 3max and HU, let’s just combine them for sake of ease and say you play 60% hands total (80% hu and 40% 3max), so 102 hands total, these hands are SOLELY hu or 3max, so let’s say because there are no way 4-way or 5 way pots+, we’ll say you’re playing 55% of these hands where you can generate an advantage, let’s just say 54 for sake of ease.

54 v 6 and when you factor in the fact that people are CLUELESS about bounties where they effectively fold aces consistently and every tournament (in terms of hunting), the advantage you can generate in these tournies is really like playing 9+ tournies. I’ll give you an example from yesterday, but this happens ALL the time in these short handed bounty builders, blinds 30/60 3max zoom, button shoves 160 chips and sb FOLDS….yes FOLDS with a 7k stack……he should be calling 100% of his WORST range and it should be a FIST PUMP call (ofc he folds if I do crazy shit), yet he didn’t.

As far as sacrificing EV, I 100% am doing that, but I am not an EV hunter, if you want to know my mindset please read:

https://joshkaufman.net/8020-principle/

https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Koch/e/B001IXPR7Y%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

My basic principles as far as poker goes is:

1.Make it as simple and easy as possible

2.make it as stress free as possible

3.Look for opportunities outside of the table

I’ll be honest, if I can make 35k USD a year playing (10k volume a month or roughly $330 daily w a 29% ROI) and let’s say another 15k staking and coaching, I am LAUGHING and can live a great stress free life. Now this is a very solid baseline and I definitely have the potential for far far more, but I like to set low benchmarks because I am a hyper competitive individual, so I need to make sure I mentally understand what I am allowed to be happy with or I can easily begin to spiral into self pity, negativity or just being extremely hard on myself.

//////

As far as calories go, it depends I am around 165lbs at 5’11, so anywhere from 2.2-2.6k depending on activity level. If I sit around a ton, 2.2k, but I am very active right now so probably closer to 2.6k considering my daily walking is around an hour carrying 15-20lbs. I am currently dieting on 1.4-6k because I’ve lost a lot of weight and I don’t want to diet for another 4+ months, I’d rather just suck it up, suffer hardcore and get it over with and then in perhaps another month I can move my calories up slowly.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your comment.

emsi15
    Participant

Hey man, glad that clicked that link in Twitter. Very interesting read I must say. You said that you intend to start again learning Bulgarian. Does that mean that you are here in Bulgaria? If you are in Sofia and have free time I’ll gladly have a beer or smth, if you are up for it. Have a nice day!

transcendev
    Participant

I answered this and the post apparently went through, I contacted Mariano so if it doesn’t show up, I’ll rewrite it and get back to you, hopefully it does, it was well thought out!

Hey man, glad that clicked that link in Twitter. Very interesting read I must say. You said that you intend to start again learning Bulgarian. Does that mean that you are here in Bulgaria? If you are in Sofia and have free time I’ll gladly have a beer or smth, if you are up for it. Have a nice day!

Yes I am in Sofia as well and I’m down, you can shoot me a message on discord at ZeeWhyZeeZee

https://discordapp.com/channels/301849107943915522/322440825445285918

Or add me on skype, I’m always on @ basednvious

transcendev
    Participant

Alright so I’m bored before my next tournament, I’m hungry af and I need to kill time, so let’s keep this going before I watch Ben’s multi way stuff and go over that info again.

As a note: I’m not trying to make any sort of posts in terms of having a specific goal with these, I just post what I want because I enjoy writing (gets me in flow state like nothing else) and it helps me clarify my own thoughts and improve my own systems, this isn’t an attempt to do anything than post in my own log.

I am not spamming this anywhere, I am not “promoting” anything apart from the ideas put forth, validation is nice and welcome, but so are criticisms OF WHAT I WROTE, not meta criticisms like I shouldn’t write about this for reasons XYZ (actually feel free to do that if you can make a coherent argument), it’s my log remember that, everyone is free to read and NOT read it.

Teaching, Feedback and Best Practices

I recently had some poker students which unfortunately did not go anywhere, but I did learn a ton about teaching.

Teaching is effectively:
    1.How much information you know (assuming it is true information)
    2.How well you are able to distill it to ensure application, retention and understanding

3.Monitoring the student to see where they’re at, I believe a very overlooked aspect of teaching is emphasis, i.e the ultimate reassurance, things like “don’t worry about Y because provided you do X, you should be able to eek out Z levels of success with X alone, although Y is important, focus on X and X ALONE should be enough.”

One thing I found was that I was always finding new ways to add to what I had created before and thus revising my methods in terms of how I went about talking about them, it went something like this:

Create something, ANYTHING, good is good ENOUGH in terms of having ANYTHING, remember that as a teacher you don’t need to take the student from A to Z, you just need to go A to B.

Emphasize the fuck outta the zone necessary for success, for example with Ben’s course, I would emphasize preflop ranges and just playing “solid” to beat the low stakes, this is simply far more than enough, over fold in spots, go light for value and use the ranges and you can’t fail.

Adjust relative to the student, always, ALWAYS make sure to ask questions to where your student gets sick of answering them to ensure they have retained the information, but also ask them if they have questions and ask THEM to explain it to you

Continue to tweak your work as you get more and more feedback and make student based adjustments, but not only tweak it, I believe an excellent session to do would be to do a “jam pack this mofo with as much shit as possible” which is where you simply have your student barf out as much info as possible in an allotted time period and then you can also do a “best of the best” session where you focus on what the student feels is the best and most important information for their success

Record sessions, send notes and have them revise notes if they can or want

At the end of the day teaching is about distilling information, it doesn’t matter if you have 100% of information if you can only distill 10% of it effectively, someone that literally has 50% and can distill 100% of that 50% will have better success than you. This is why the student based feedback and adjustments are so important and necessary, teaching is truly free flowing far more than anything else due to the different personality types, your own demeanor and the motivations of different peoples.

One thing I personally have worked on is that I used to be a very closed off person in a variety of ways, however recently I have made a habit of forcing myself to say yes to far more things and implementing rapid feedback despite my stubborn nature, just going way out of my comfort zone in overhauling things, I’ll leave this post with a few quotes from a book and author I love:

http://48laws-of-power.blogspot.com/2011/05/law-25-recreate-yourself.html

Do not accept the roles that society foists on you. Re-create yourself by forging a new identity, one that commands attention and never bores the audience. Be the master of your own image rather than letting others define it for you. Incorporate dramatic devices into your public gestures and actions—your power will be enhanced and your character will seem larger than life.

3 Ways to Be The Consummate Chameleon

1. You must learn to enlarge your actions through dramatic techniques such as surprise, suspense, the creation of sympathy, and symbolic identification.
    2. You must be constantly aware of your audience—of what will please them and what will bore them.
    3. You must arrange to place yourself at the center, to command attention, and never to be upstaged at any cost.

Steps in the process of self-creation is

1. You must be Self-consciousness
    Being aware of yourself as an actor and taking control of your appearance and emotions.

2. You must learn self-control.
    Adopt the plasticity of the actor, who can mold his or her face to the emotion required.

3. Creation of a memorable character
    A character that compels attention, that stands out above the other players on the stage.

An effective teacher is one that learns.

An effective teacher is one that communicates he is still learning.

An effective teacher not only leads, but leads by example, thus inspiring the student.

An effective teacher seeks to understand, not be understood, meaning that he seeks to get into his student’s mind and work with his student, not impose himself on the student.

transcendev
    Participant

Alright it appears it was lost, looks like I’ll be saving posts before I make them.

SCOOP is just SCOOP, not many zooms to speak of.

It’s not a theory, you play at least 3x as many hands, so minimalistically it is 3x as many regular tournaments, if we bring in turbos and hypers into the equation it moves up to 5+. Furthermore, where is your advantage generated in tournaments? Preflop, postflop, bounties and ICM.

Let’s say you play roughly 55 hands per hour in a regular tournament at 25% of them, so around 13 hands and let’s say there is maneuverability in about 7 of them, per hour you could be playing 7 real hands. Meanwhile let’s talk 3max and hu zoom where you can play 180 hands per hour, let’s say around 65% total (85% hu, 45% 3m), so you have around 120 hands, let’s say 60 of them you can generate an advantage on, so although you could be multi tabling let’s say 5 tables which I think is reasonable for most people to handle, even then you’re barely putting in over half the hourly volume.

This doesn’t factor in the fact that people regularly effectively fold aces by not hunting bounties in certain spots in these tournies and these aren’t 1/100 players, today I played roughly 20 hands where I had a huntable stack and AT LEAST 5 players completely passed up this opportunity, which in terms of equity is actually quite similar to aces as far as win rate.

From a minimalistic standpoint, I feel comfortable making the case for zooms being worth at least 6+ regular tournaments. In reality, if I was to parse though everything it is likely in the low 10s.

As far as EV goes, it really depends:
    Benefits of grinding myself to dust v long term sustainability

Benefits of making slightly more (20-50%) v cost of mental stress increasing far more than the tops ROI

I don’t play poker to work a regular job (I HATE the idea of 40+ hour weeks, not ever, but just as a commitment every week), I play poker to make an easy low cortisol living. I can play a simple zoom schedule into perpetuity as it’s very chill, it’s very profitable and I’m not even really sacrificing volume in reality.

There are only so many Markovistus and Lenas in the world and I know for fact I am not one of them, I will not pretend to be, nor will I pretend it interests me, nothing at all against them, they are fucking legends and God bless them, I could probably write 3+ hours everyday and be very happy which I doubt they could do, so if they love poker and grinding hardcore again I say God bless them, but I don’t personally love regular 8+ hour grinds, in the same way if they were forced to write a ton daily they might hate it too.

This is my philosophy:

https://joshkaufman.net/8020-principle/

Way Seven: The Time-Rich Manager
    Value is not related to time but to ideas, collaboration
    and the power of our intent as human beings to do what
    we do. The further up the value ladder we climb, the
    more this is true. In creative work –– including that of all
    the best managers –– value is hardly related to time at all.
    Once we realize this, we become free. Time itself does not
    create stress. We do, by thinking our value is constrained
    by the amount of time we put in.
    Eight Ways to Become Time Rich
    There are eight steps to working fewer hours and
    achieving better results. But before embarking on them,
    change your attitude. Are you prepared to focus all your
    energy on the vital few and ignore the trivial many? If so,
    • Maximize your freedom to work how you want.
    • Select just one priority each day and tackle it first.
    • Think before you act.
    • Identify the few causes of success in your firm
    or team.
    • Listen to your core customers.
    • Make your team 80/20 managers.
    • Identify the 20 percent of your work that results in 80
    percent of your happiness and effectiveness.
    • Progressively reduce your working hours.
    Becoming time-rich boosts your health and relationships.
    It’s also the way to reach your full potential. But
    don’t think it’ll be easy. In discarding the trivial and focusing
    on the essential, you will have to reject the habits of
    a lifetime.

Two Ways to Manage
    There are two ways to manage. You were probably
    taught the standard way to manage, or maybe you picked
    it up by osmosis:
    • You work hard, often putting in long hours, and are
    highly visible and available.
    • You are continually busy, exhibiting a buzz of activity.
    • You answer inputs in a timely and linear way. If
    someone sends you an email, you respond promptly.
    This seems perfectly natural and no more than good
    manners. However, it is time consuming.
    • You have some discretion about what you’re doing
    and the way it is done, but always within the constraints
    of company policy, teamwork and what your
    bosses want.
    • There is an unspoken rule that you should not be too
    different in style or behavior from the bulk of your
    bosses and other colleagues.
    In practice, this management approach quickly leads to
    overload. You slip behind with your work and never really
    catch up.

////

The other way to manage is much less prevalent, but
    the road less travelled is more peaceful. If you are one of
    these rare managers,
    • You generally put in fewer hours than your colleagues.
    • You are –– unfashionably –– not very action-oriented.
    You spend a lot of time thinking and a considerable
    amount talking face-to-face. Much of your time
    is spent out of the office.
    • You focus on outputs, not inputs. You often do not
    feel the need to respond to incoming emails or texts
    immediately, only answering them at particular times
    of the day. Each morning, you work out the one
    thing you want to accomplish that day. Then, you do
    nothing else until that task is complete.
    • You keep your work simple. You remove or ignore
    the trivial clutter that routinely strangles your colleagues.
    You work primarily on what can be done
    quickly yet will make a big difference. As far as possible,
    you delegate or overlook everything else.

• In a quiet way, you’re a non-conformist. You are still a
    team player, accessible and friendly, but you often say
    things that surprise your colleagues. You can be inconsistent,
    and you ask a lot of questions. You do things
    your way.
    • You feel successful, although your definition of “success”
    may not match anyone else’s!
    • Superficially, you seem quite similar to your colleagues
    because you don’t make a big deal about your differences.
    Only those who know you well realize how
    unusual you are. The biggest difference of all is that
    you are unstressed, unhurried and usually happy.

The top 10 low-�‐value uses of time
    1. Things other people want you to do
    2. Things that have always been done this way
    3. Things you’re not unusually good at doing
    4. Things you don’t enjoy doing
    5. Things that are always interrupted
    6. Things few other people are interested in
    7. Things that have already taken twice as long as you originally expected
    8. Things where your collaborations are unreliable or low quality
    9. Things that have a predictable cycle
    10. Answering the telephone

The top 10 highest-�‐value uses of time
    1. Things that advance your overall purpose in life
    2. Things you have always wanted to do
    3. Things already in the 20/80 relationship of time to results
    4. Innovative ways of doing things that promise to slash the time required and/or multiply the quality
    of results
    5. Things other people tell you can’t be done
    6. Things other people have done successfully in a different arena
    7. Things that use your own creativity
    8. Things that you can get other people to do for you with relatively little effort on your part
    9. Anything with high-�‐quality collaborators who have already transcended the 80/20 rule of time, who
    use time eccentrically and effectively
    10. Things for which it is now or never (161-�‐162)
    When thinking about any potential use of time, ask two questions:
    • Is it unconventional?
    • Does it promise to multiply effectiveness?

The key to earning more and working less is to pick the right thing to do and to do only those things that add the highest value. (188)

10 golden rules for career success
    1. Specialize in a very small niche, develop a core skill
    2. Choose a niche that you enjoy, where you can excel and stand a chance of becoming an
    acknowledged leader
    3. Realize that knowledge is power
    4. Identify your market and your core customers and serve them best
    5. Identify where 20 percent of effort gives 80 percent of returns
    6. Learn from the best
    7. Become self-�‐employed early in your career
    8. Employ as many net value creators as possible
    9. Use outside contractors for everything but your core skill
    10. Exploit capital leverage (194)

The key to making a career out of an enthusiasm is knowledge. Know more about an area than anybody else does. Then work out a way to marketize it, to create a market and a set of loyal customers. (197)

There is no fun in work unless you can achieve a lot with a little. (199)

Put another way, leaders do things differently. Leaders are usually outsiders; they think and feel differently. Those who are best in any sphere do not think and act in similar ways to the average performers. The leaders may not be conscious of what they do differently. Very rarely do they think about it and articulate it. (200)

Emotional intelligence is more crucial for happiness than intellectual intelligence, yet our society places little emphasis on the development of emotional intelligence. (223)

//////////////////////////////////////////

Oh lmao and as far as calories go, I’m 5’11 165 probably around 9% bf, cutting on 1300-1600 calories due to not wanting to diet for another 3+ months at around 2k, my maintenance is 2.2-2.6k depending on activity levels. Yeah calories are low, it is what it is, I’ve done it slow before, while I’m less hungry, at the end of the day I can end up binging just as much due to it taking so damn long and the 10-25% hunger pangs (relative to extremes) over 5+ months are not much better than let’s say 50-75% over a month or two.

Gonna start including some songs with my posts, I love music and listen 5+ hours daily , esp EDM (although the acronym is cringe af)

Off to take a long warm shower (sorry Ben), train legs, go to the mall and look for some things/try on some things and then come back and be productive in going over the masterclass again, read and study.

transcendev
    Participant

Alright so since Stars is updating today and I can’t play tournies until 5 my time (long ways away) and I gotta kill time so I don’t think about food or eating, I’m gonna rant, 2nd part will be about Hockey and my beloved (and behated) Maple Leafs.

Stars Two Day Event: Pure Fucking Stupidity

What exactly is the purpose of this?????

Day 1 was around 7-9 hours, ok so day two will be????? Oh wait it’s LESS!

What exactly was the foundational principle(s) of doing this?

I can TOTALLY get behind a two day event, but what I cannot get behind is a shitty two day event that spreads the disappointment out for most people AND DOESN’T EVEN PLAY LIKE A TWO DAY EVENT SHOULD (DEEP AND LONG no pope ofc).

Just LMFAO @ the 20 minute levels and massive jump, HURR DURR ME NO KNOW WHAT DIS MEANS, ME STUPID.

Here’s how I would do it, 10+ hours on day 1 and if the tourny can be done in 12-13, just do it as a day 1 event and stop pussying around. Anyways, 10-12 hours on day 1 and 8+ on day two. Nothing was as cancerous for me and my bro as being chip leader ending day 1 and then being out in an hour or two due to these god damn ridiculous jumps that barely allowed us to play 100 hands.

GOOD FIRST PRINCIPLES ARE CRUCIAL. If you want long and deep, do it like that, if not just fucking make it a 10-12 minute tourny on day 1 and finish it in 10 hours then FFS, don’t do worst of both worlds which is a cock tease deep at certain points and then normal at points it matters most during. Stars could learn a thing or two from Greg Plitt (RIP)

/////

Incompetence, Coaching and High Level Stupidity

If you don’t know Hockey, it doesn’t matter, you can still answer the following two questions:

1.Should you play your best players the most?

There are two theories of powerplays (when you have an extra man and thus get more chances due to the other team being short handed), most teams have 3-5 great players, either STACK the first powerplay (2 minute in length) and play it roughly 1:20-full two minutes OR spread the 3-5 great players out and go 50-50.

2.So with this in mind, if you stack your first powerplay unit thus making it BY FAR your best unit, should you simply just play it the most if not all 2 minutes?

If you answered yes to both questions, CONGRATS! You have more common sense than the highest paid coach in the NHL (yes this is a real fact).

Being a Leafs fan is torture, only Toronto could be pathetic enough to have by far the most resources in the NHL and produce these mediocre results, nearing 55 years without a cup, unbelievable. We had FOUR chances to close out the Bruins who are in the Stanley Cup Finals (last two teams) and will likely win the cup; being up 1-0 with a chance to go up 2-0 going back home (Bruins weren’t winning 4 in a row), being up 2-1 at home with a chance to go up 3-1 (again not winning 3 in a row) and being up 3-2 with a chance to win at home and then losing game 7.

Some more fun facts about our coach:
    Lost in the first round (NHL playoffs have 4 total) last 3 years IN A ROW

In the previous decade he is something like 7/8 in LOSING IN THE FIRST ROUND

So are we going to fire him?

Nope, he’s back next year (oh and I didn’t even get into the insanity of all his other decisions either so please keep that in mind, it’s not even remotely close to JUST these two things) , who’s decision is that? Our GM who lets players show up to camp 20+lbs overweight after giving them juicy contracts.

Makes me sick thinking about this, I can take losing, I cannot take this complete destruction of common sense, HOW ARE THEY SO DUMB????????

The best part about all of this? The guy that our GM signed to a big contract and showed up overweight was demoted, didn’t get a real good chance with our best players and was relegated to the role of a guy getting paid 2-4 million dollars (he gets paid 7+) by that same coach (he actually is talented, just a bit soft and lazy).

Total fucking gongshow and it goes to show you that what we thought as kids about adults having the world figured out was total BS, incompetence, HIGH HIGH level incompetence exists at the highest levels, so ofc poker is beatable, just show up and be solid. IF WE HAD A COACH AND GM THAT SHOWED UP AND WERE JUST SOLID WE COULD’VE WON THE CUP SMFH, so tilting not gonna lie, I legit might not even watch next year after being a fan for 20 years.

transcendev
    Participant

Alright so since Stars is updating today and I can’t play tournies until 5 my time (long ways away) and I gotta kill time so I don’t think about food or eating, I’m gonna rant, 2nd part will be about Hockey and my beloved (and behated) Maple Leafs.

I can TOTALLY get behind a two day event, but what I cannot get behind is a shitty two day event that spreads the disappointment out for most people AND DOESN’T EVEN PLAY LIKE A TWO DAY EVENT SHOULD (DEEP AND LONG no pope ofc).

Just LMFAO @ the 20 minute levels and massive jump, HURR DURR ME NO KNOW WHAT DIS MEANS, ME STUPID.

Here’s how I would do it, 10+ hours on day 1 and if the tourny can be done in 12-13, just do it as a day 1 event and stop pussying around. Anyways, 10-12 hours on day 1 and 8+ on day two. Nothing was as cancerous for me and my bro as being chip leader ending day 1 and then being out in an hour or two due to these god damn ridiculous jumps that barely allowed us to play 100 hands.

GOOD FIRST PRINCIPLES ARE CRUCIAL. If you want long and deep, do it like that, if not just fucking make it a 10-12 minute tourny on day 1 and finish it in 10 hours then FFS, don’t do worst of both worlds which is a cock tease deep at certain points and then normal at points it matters most during.

Stars could learn a thing or two from Greg Plitt (RIP)

/////

If you don’t know Hockey, it doesn’t matter, you can still answer the following two questions:

There are two theories of powerplays (when you have an extra man and thus get more chances due to the other team being short handed), most teams have 3-5 great players, either STACK the first powerplay (2 minute in length) and play it roughly 1:20-full two minutes OR spread the 3-5 great players out and go 50-50.

2.So with this in mind, if you stack your first powerplay unit thus making it BY FAR your best unit, should you simply just play it the most if not all 2 minutes?

If you answered yes to both questions, CONGRATS! You have more common sense than the highest paid coach in the NHL (yes this is a real fact).

Being a Leafs fan is torture, only Toronto could be pathetic enough to have by far the most resources in the NHL and produce these mediocre results, nearing 55 years without a cup, unbelievable. We had FOUR chances to close out the Bruins who are in the Stanley Cup Finals (last two teams) and will likely win the cup; being up 1-0 with a chance to go up 2 going back home (Bruins weren’t winning 4 in a row), being up 2-1 at home with a chance to go up 3-1 (again not winning 3 in a row) and being up 3-2 with a chance to win at home and then losing game 7.

So are we going to fire him?Nope, he’s back next year (oh and I didn’t even get into the insanity of all his other decisions either so please keep that in mind, it’s not even remotely close to JUST these two things, who’s decision is that? Our GM who lets players show up to camp 20+lbs overweight after giving them juicy contracts.

Makes me sick thinking about this, I can take losing, I cannot take this complete destruction of common sense, HOW ARE THEY SO DUMB????????

The best part about all of this? The guy that our GM signed to a big contract and showed up overweight was demoted, didn’t get a real good chance with our best players and was relegated to the role of a guy getting paid 2-4 million dollars (he gets paid 7+) by that same coach (he actually is talented, just a bit soft and lazy).

Total fucking gongshow and it goes to show you that what we thought as kids about adults having the world figured out was total BS, incompetence, HIGH HIGH level incompetence exists at the highest levels, so ofc poker is beatable, just show up and be solid. IF WE HAD A COACH AND GM THAT SHOWED UP AND WERE JUST SOLID WE COULD’VE WON THE CUP SMFH, so tilting not gonna lie, I legit might not even watch next year after being a fan for 20 years.

transcendev
    Participant

GOOD FIRST PRINCIPLES ARE CRUCIAL. If you want long and deep, do it like that, if not just fucking make it a 10-12 minute tourny on day 1 and finish it in 10 hours then FFS, don’t do worst of both worlds which is a cock tease deep at certain points and then normal at points it matters most during.

/////

Being a Leafs fan is torture, only Toronto could be pathetic enough to have by far the most resources in the NHL and produce these mediocre results, nearing 55 years without a cup, unbelievable. We had FOUR chances to close out the Bruins who are in the Stanley Cup Finals (last two teams) and will likely win the cup; being up 1-0 with a chance to go up 2 going back home (Bruins weren’t winning 4 in a row), being up 2-1 at home with a chance to go up 3-1 (again not winning 3 in a row) and being up 3-2 with a chance to win at home and then losing game 7.

So are we going to fire him?Nope, he’s back next year (oh and I didn’t even get into the insanity of all his other decisions either so please keep that in mind, it’s not even remotely close to JUST these two things, who’s decision is that? Our GM who lets players show up to camp 20+lbs overweight after giving them juicy contracts.

jules_
    Participant

Wow…. Thanks for sharing this.

It’s insane how much of myself I see in these posts. Whether its mistakes Ive made/am making, or systems I have put/am putting into place to excel not just in poker but in life. Really inspiring stuff, extremely relatable.

transcendev
    Participant

Wow…. Thanks for sharing this.

It’s insane how much of myself I see in these posts. Whether its mistakes Ive made/am making, or systems I have put/am putting into place to excel not just in poker but in life. Really inspiring stuff, extremely relatable.

Well then you’re def gonna make it brah!

Good to hear though man, if you have any specific comments, questions or even rebuttals and counters, lemme know I’m all ears!

cool story bro

I didn’t even post the cool story yet, check this one

/////

transcendev
    Participant

Perspective, Downswings And More Career Talk

Writing this has made me consider about perspective, there are many ways to look at the world, within even a singular day, our mood can change so drastically that is insane. Obviously having a log I want to perform and post wins, however since I started posting, well since a section of Scoop I am down 4k or am I…..

Well since the start of Scoop I am actually up 2k or am I…..

Well at my lowest point of Scoop I am now up 4k.

The basis for holistic perspective creation is using overall metrics, if you have 200 hands on someone and they have a 33% cb over 35 hands, 2% xr, 3% 3b, well they’re probably a nit, now if they happen to have 80% probe, this does not invalidate this, they likely just caught something which is entirely possible. This is why OVERALL metrics matter, not just individual ones.

During downswings it is important we reevaluate things:
    1.What is my overall trajectory, yearly, 3 years, 5 years, decade?

2.Have I gotten better or worse at poker in the past 6 months, year, 3+ years?

3.What is my bb/100 and how close in my deep runs was I to drastically altering the downswing?

4.What is your current game like in terms of how you’re feeling day to day, beyond beats, coolers and unavoidable situations? Are you making blunders or just mistakes?  Are your mistakes more frequent?

Downswings are excellent moments in terms of potential instructive learning potential, they can be a great opportunity to avoid more severe ones in the future, seize them!

More Career Talk

High paying is relative because as you’ll see, for all the “money” one earns, there are other things they pay for:

Time invested into getting the job/degree (time debt and money debt)
    Cost of living where you’re at, i.e 80k isn’t 80k from NY to Thailand
    Time traveled to and from work because even IF you maximize that time and do self-improvement via reading/listening to lectures, you ARE still LOCKED in that time (can’t do other activities you’d possibly enjoy, i.e painting/sports/working out/music creation etc)
    Work environment aka not JUST your workers, but customers
    Stress from job, whether it’s just at work or whether it extends beyond that
    Difficulty of getting ahead, politics and how much more duties you get for higher pay (because higher pay can also mean higher taxation), never mind that you might have to step on quite a few toes which can easily bite you in the ass
    Do you get emails or work AFTER work?
    What is your main goal? Helping people? Making money? Following a passion? Does your job grant you the HIGHEST potential for that?
    As opposed to what meaning someone studying for 8+ years, paying back debt for 3-4 years MAY have 300k+ AFTER that, but even someone making 30k will be ahead of him in this time and that is IF they JUST stayed at 30k and didn’t do **** with their lives (not the people I am writing this post for)
    Does it tap into the Hockey stick effect of potential massive long term gains?

I actually wrote this a long time ago (nearly 4 years to be precise), it’s amazing how I ended up pursing poker which is an excellent career for what I’m after.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.