Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Never Settle – My studying blog

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hey man! Awesome work ethics, you are crushing it buddy.

Regarding your QQ hand, be careful with your assumptions, you are barely giving him any bluffs and with eff ~30bb I can def see him having a few bluffs and also TT/JJ as well as AQ and you might not getting his full stack if he is not hitting. Or when he has JJ/TT and the board is K or A high you are not getting his entire stack.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

f1nexx
    Participant

Hey man! Awesome work ethics, you are crushing it buddy.

Regarding your QQ hand, be careful with your assumptions, you are barely giving him any bluffs and with eff ~30bb I can def see him having a few bluffs and also TT/JJ as well as AQ and you might not getting his full stack if he is not hitting. Or when he has JJ/TT and the board is K or A high you are not getting his entire stack.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thanks Ben! Yeah I think the assumptions from me sometimes are a bit on the edge or plain wrong, but I’m working on it. I don’t take these calculations by heart and just do them cause I find it interesting. Once Im going through the course and my experience is greater, I think my assumptions will also improve, to a point where I would implement this knowledge.

CW 34 – UPDATE

So I’ve recorded my first session last Thursday (although, only 30min and played with no-recordings after that), and really liked it. It makes you think more clearly about the hand, as you try to articulate your thoughts, which will hopely improve. Sometimes I just play along and forget to talk what Im thinking about But was really good.

If anyone is keen to watching and wants the most important bits, I’ve written out the most important timestamps. Also, I’ve included the link to the post where I analyze the hand thoroughly in this forum. Check it out and let me know about any feedback you might have for the recording (speaking up, recording settings, etc.)

VIDEO-LINK

07:06 99 bottom left
    10:23 99 bottom left
    12:50 AA bottom left Turn volume down, as I loled into the mic on showdown
    14:51 K9s top left
    18:37 JTs top right
    21:18 T9s bottom left

Mistakes
    09:15 T7o is not a flat in BB EP multiway (not that I have learned it yet, but pre-peeked in the range viewer)
    13:57 A3s would have been a flat

Talk to you soon, happy grinding!

EDIT: Apart of some hand analysis, there weren’t any major studies going on for the “Passive Defending” topic. Also within my playing hours, there weren’t any major BBvsX spots where the topic could have come handy. So I will do some range and DB exercises till mid of the week, before continuing with the next topic.

f1nexx
    Participant

CW 35 – UPDATE

I’ve completed the Passive Defending Course mid-week and after some hand-analysis continued with the next “Playing vs 3bets & 4betting” video. Some HCM work was done considering shoving and reshoving, but not any major hand analysis. I decided to focus the past days a bit on volume and through that gathered some valuable spots I’ll happily analyze in the upcoming days and share with you. Furthermore, I will also do the homework for the last video-lesson. I think that will be enough work for this week but in case I still have time left, there is a spare recording from this week I can also review.

I’m excited for the upcoming weeks, as I will be starting to stream Poker, which should give me more awareness about certain decisions and further accountability. Nevertheless, I’m dreading the law to take effect from 2019 in Switzerland which prohibits Online-Poker, so I will also have to get started with some Live Tourneys and setting up my account on Americas Cardroom before. This should be done by October though.

Talk to you next week, happy grinding!

f1nexx
    Participant

Update 2019

Here we are, almost one year later.. the “talk to you next week” took a bit longer. :) I don’t want to make it too long, so I’m just going to summarize quickly what happened during the time till now:

• I haven’t stopped playing Poker. If so, it has even become a bit more and consistent. It just seems that the time for forum posting apparently switched to streaming and content creation and I wanted to prioritize those habits.
    • I played and created content till about April normally, till it was apparent that my last uni semester required my full attention. So start of April I stopped fully and after successfully finishing uni (yay) along with holidays, the law for online gambling regulation took effect in Switzerland at the 2nd of July.
    • Meanwhile, I’ve quit my job effective at the end of August and want to travel a bit, as well to taste Poker if it suits me if I’d do it more regularly. So I’m currently staying at my aunts place in Bosnia and can play Online Poker again. WiFi isn’t as strong as I would like (for streaming purposes), but that isn’t my goal anyway. I’ve basically just set up a table in the middle of her living room and thats it – grind on.

And if you’re wondering – the background shows auntie when she was a bit younger. Badass! :D

So since two days ago my routine mainly consists of studying in the morning and in the afternoon getting the volume in. I love to get up early and get productively going – so I’m excited to see how that routine works with more frequent Poker sessions and if I still find enjoyment with the game. So why am I back?

I think I’ve already mentioned in my first post that I see an amazing accountability factor with posting my goals and progress in this forum. If not only for that, I can hopefully also provide value to someone reading this or make connections, which is a great bonus! This should help me to maximize my studying results, which keeps me sharp for the playing sessions. These kind of accountability factors can be a forum in my case or what even works better are coaches or friends. Ben also explained a great one, where he gives share of most of his tourneys to one of his buddies, which keeps him accountable to perform at his best. A book I’ve just finished reading (The One Thing) mentioned a study where goal-achievement under students was measured and those with accountability partners / factors were shown to be 76% more likely to reach their stated goals! So if you haven’t already done so and you’re serious about improvement, get on it.

As far as studying goes, I was already somewhat around 36% into the course, but ranges have adapted and most likely, certain concepts were also forgotten under my almost half-year break. My normal studying plan consists of rereading the notes I’ve made for each video and decide if I’m comfortable with the topic to move to more important things or relearn a topic. Example: Openraising ranges for EP are mainly static and feel easy to navigate, so rereading the notes was enough. However, MP/LP ranges can already switch, which is why I got started with studying the MP/HJ Opening Ranges today. From this topic I’ll start and navigate to LP opening, flatting/3betting, etc.

07.09.2019 – MP&HJ Opening Ranges (15bb, 20bb, 30bb, 40bb, 60bb)

To break down my studying approach for Range exercises, that goes as follows:

• I have an Excel where it randomly generates my position, stacksize and hand (for this learning topic, I’ve fixed the position to MP and HJ though). I will then generate around 100 of them and I put in my decision along with what I would do if I get 3bet. For these positions, I can automatically declare around 67% of all spots easily as folds, but the rest requires often more thinking (unless its premium holdings).

• Of these, I’ve generated 300 today, so I almost got in 100 different spots specifically for these ranges. I would then type in my answer, look up the ranges and see where I did mistakes to mark them (also the date, to be able to differentiate older hands when reviewing progress or something like that). If someone is really keen on this sheet, I’ll gladly share it or explain it in detail.
    • I topped that off with some PokerTracker DB Analysis to see how I’ve performed so far and added that information to the notes I got out of the 100 spots. Looks something like this:

OR HJ notes
    15bb: Shove with T9s,44-66, A8s/A5s. Minraise AKo, KQs, A9s+ and 77+
    20bb: AJo is R/J not R/C v 3b, A9s/KTs/QJs/JTs are R/C. KJ even commits v BU-BB
    30bb: Good hands such as AQs+, AQo+, 77+, A5s can be R/J or R/C. Make it opponent dependant (postflop aggressiveness probably)
    40bb: A3s+, ATo, AJo and all 9xs broadway hands are R/C. Even stronger middling SC/OneGappers
    60bb: A3s+, K8s, middling SC (54s+) / OneGappers (86s+) are R/C

OR MP Notes
    15bb: Think about stronger range (77+, AKo, KQs, AJs+) balancing the weaker MR/Fold range. Down to K7s, offsuit broadways
    20bb: Lower PPs are folded, A9o can be opened, suited 8xs (98s upwards), broadway hands
    30bb: Call more with the higher suited BW hands v 3b
    40bb: PPs can be opened and called v 3bets (44+ mainly, unless v BB)
    60bb: Slowplay with QQ+, AK v BB 3b, call with most lower AXs against 3b (A6s, A2s only v OOP/SB). OR 65s+, K6s+

I then got into my playing session and specifically paid attention to those two positions and felt the improvement in confidence also. That was cool and I definitely gained clarity around some unsure holdings. I was surprised to see how wide we can open from those middling positions (esp. starting from 40bb, down to 65s in HJ and even with lower stack sizes the offsuit broadway hands).

Goals for tomorrow, the 08.09.2019

• Excel-Practice late position opens (BU / CO) and use the knowledge for my first proper Sunday grind, lets go!
    • I want to at least play for 6h tomorrow. Might not seem like much to someone, but I had mainly 3-4h runs and want to stretch my comfort zone a bit. So focus is mainly on grinding.
    • Get some cardio in to balance off weight lifting
    • Put a post up here about the most important notes from the book “The One Thing”. I’m all about Poker, but need some other leisure acitivies next to sport to keep me sane, so I might share more book information .. or not, I don’t know yet.

Until next time, good luck at the tables!

f1nexx
    Participant

Goal overview

• Excel-Practice late position opens (BU / CO) and use the knowledge for my first proper Sunday grind, lets go! done
    • I want to at least play for 6h tomorrow. Might not seem like much to someone, but I had mainly 3-4h runs and want to stretch my comfort zone a bit. So focus is mainly on grinding Somewhat done … I got in a bit more than five hours. I had a delayed start with the grind, since I went for some cardio after lunch and then had an awkward schedule where 3-4 hours were left before my stomach kicks in. So for future grinds I’ll definitely make sure to schedule my sport activities in the early morning if possible plus make sure something is precooked.
    • Get some cardio in to balance off weight lifting done
    • Put a post up here about the most important notes from the book “The One Thing”. I’m all about Poker, but need some other leisure acitivies next to sport to keep me sane, so I might share more book information .. or not, I don’t know yet. Not yet.. but will be done with this post :)

Studying – LP&BU Opening Ranges (15bb, 20bb, 30bb, 40bb, 60bb)

What I changed in my studying approach is to include building the ranges myself first and then compare them afterwards to amend them where necessary. This should also help to get familiar with them. Apart from them I’ve done the similar Excel exercise.

Notes

===============

CO

Rangebuilding notes

60bb: Less SC as 4b bluffs, more high cards (worst Axo, Kxo, middling Kxs and middling Axs). Not all Ax are opened, broadway down to x9o. Call AA/KK v Blinds.

40bb: More jam spots with KQs, 99 and AQo. Call more 3b with broadways (ATo, KJo+, QJo). Middling PP can be jammed v. aggro 3bettor. Don’t call BB-3b with lowest PP, middling SC and lowest Kxs. Call more with middling GS and low SC OOP v 3b. Lowest Axs v BU 3b can be shoved. Open down to A5o.

30bb: 3b/Jam up to 55+, AJo+, AJs+, Kjs+, A9s, A7s, A5s. Call lower Axs and connected broadway hands (K8s, Q9s, J9s, T9s, 98s) v BB and BU. BU also includes worst Axo/Kxo, along with middle SC.

20bb: Seemingly tighter, but range has only switched – more offsuit aces, less suited broadways (down to x7s, for K its K4s+) and lower SC. Lot more folding than calling. Worst PPs are jammed.

15bb: Jam is 88+, AQo+, A8s+. Only KJo+ and A7o+ are jams, lower is minraise/f and can be extended depending on villain. All other Axs are jams. Extend suited broadway range by one hand in case the opponent is weak

Exercise notes

60bb: Although we can open wide, not too wide (f 95s f.e.)

40bb: We cannot open all Ax (A5o+).

30bb: Didn’t generate as many useful spots, included afterwards some and made no mistakes

20bb-15bb: Shortstacked I did the most mistakes by being too loose, going for opens with 64s and other SC.

Think that has come out of amending ranges through the tight players in my SNGs, but I should definitely tone it down, as I have surely also opened such hands against regs.

BU

Rangebuilding notes

60bb: Lot more flatting of the lower suited BW, down to x6s apart from J. Calling QTo, Q4s-Q5s, T6s, 85s, 64s v SB.

40bb: Still loose down to x5s, Q2s+, J3s+, T4s+. Flatting some offsuit broadways (KTo+, QJo, A8o+). Lower Axs can be jammed and hands such as J7s,K4s,K3s,54s called v SB.

30bb: J3s+, T4s+, any 5xs still an open. Not much difference, mainly offsuit BW are opened less. Call 3b down to any 8xs and K4s+. 3b/j range is 55+, AJo+, Kqs, ATs+

20bb: Tighten up considerably on the suited site, any 6xs, J5s+, Q4s+, K3s+ is now opened. A8o, A7o, A3s, A2s can be jammed along with worst PP. Broke range is 55+, A4s+, KTs+, Qjs, KQo

15bb: MR/AI is 66+, A7s+, KTs+, QJs, KQo. Shove all other Ax. KTo, QJo and T8s can also be gone all in with. Exploitatively opening range are 8x BW and K6o+. In general, we still minraise all 6xs

Exercise notes

60bb: No mistakes.

40bb: No significant mistakes apart from folding 75s to a 3bet

30bb: All good.

20bb-15bb: Most mistakes, as I was again, too loose with this stacksize. 30bb to 20bb loses some hands.

===============

I didn’t plan any major grinding tomorrow and may take the evening off to not overdo it (I used to play twice weekly before, so maybe I should change the playing frequency in smaller steps). However, its not fixed and I will still put in some study about the spots that occured today and also repeat the learnings from the previous two days. I felt a lot more comfortable at the tables through the studying, but feel like I need some more time to really get the spots in. So I will foreseeably continue with the next topics (SB Opens) on the 10th or 11th of September.

The One Thing

The One Thing is a book which talks about how you can get extraordinary results. Imo, it offers a lot of practical insights and I’ve encountered topics from various other different articles / books including some new ones. Here are my most important takeaways:

• Learn to determine the most important thing when learning something. Not everything needs to be done and prioritization is key (read up on the 80/20 principle). The author mentions to use the 80/20 principle multiple times, which will help you to understand what is the most important thing.
    • To-Do List includes points that don’t have to be necessarily done. Create a success list instead, which takes the prioritization into consideration.
    • Willpower can be drained by the day, which is why you should aim to do the most important stuff in the morning. An example was given of a study of judges that were dealing with cases and the longer morning went on, the more the judges tend to go to their default decision instead of effectively dealing with a case. Once the glucose filled up after lunch, they treated the cases fairly again (same knowledge can be used for meal-prepping smoothies during the grind, to ensure you stay sharp).
    • Although productivity is key, the author stresses that the personal needs should also be considered and cannot be regarded as “either work or personal” – both fields are seperate and need to be taken care of!
    • Ask the question “What is the ONE Thing I can do such that by doing everything else will be easier or unneccessary?” to determine what the most important thing is that can be done.
      • Either for bigger, strategic insight: What is my ONE Thing?
      • Smaller, short-term: What is my ONE Thing right now? Ask this question every morning/day!
    • Someday-goal / Five year goal / One year goal / One Month / One Week / One Day / Now
      • Describe the one Thing for each one of those phases and act accordingly. This will help you to guide towards the bigger picture.
        Write the goals down. Keep em close.
      • Visualize the process, not the end result only. This will help to succeed with your plan.
    • Block the time for your ONE Thing to make sure you actually make the time to do it. If absolutely not possible, reschedule the block immediately.
      • Weekly plan the blocks for your ONE Thing and plan/monitor comparing to your goals youve set above.
    • Mastery means being master of what is behind us and being apprentices what is in front of us
      • Commit to be your best. Thats the only way to achieve extraordinary results
      • Be purposeful – try things that don’t feel natural (new skills, new relationships, new thinking).
      • Find a coach – or if not coach, accountability partner to get started. Share your progress and goals
    • Watch out for “Thieves” that may endanger your productivity
      • Say No more often
      • Chaos is bound to happen when we concentrate on one thing, learn to be at peace with it
      • Lack of energy, manage it. Take care of your body, exercise, eat healthy

Thats all for now, folks! Hope someone finds this helpful. Overall, I really enjoyed the read and would recommend it to anyone interested in achieving mastery but lacking the practical knowledge on how to go about it.

Happy grinding!

f1nexx
    Participant

The last two days I did some Openraise reviews from SB, however, it was pretty overwhelming for the first day. In comparison to other ranges it included a lot more limping strategies which differ pretty considerably over different stacksizes and I’m still not that confident with SB.

Thats why I will be continuing to practice the last reviewed Opening Ranges (esp. SB) for at least one day before advancing to other topics.

These are my notes so far:

SB Rangebuilding Notes (darker fields show mistakes)

60bb:
    https://gyazo.com/df84bd068d917c99608a746b8d997b77

Offsuit BW more limped and lower ones are R/F (dt T7s).
    Protect L/C range with L/C K9s, KQo, KJo, ATo, A9o, ATs sometimes.
    Worst suited BW from R/C range as R/4b Bluff, one combo better as L/RR Fold.
    R/C Range is tighter than imagined: A5s+,K6s+,Q8s+,J8s+,T8s+,98s,87s,65s,54s,AJo,AQo
    All lower PP (22-66) are L/C.

40bb:
    https://gyazo.com/479f2a398a833f384fc6f779f827faed

Offsuit part of the range widened and a lot more raise/folding! Less protective of L/C Range, value range extends there (A8o-ATo, KTo+, QJo)
    Middling PPs (55-88 [99,TT 50%] played as limp/jams, same as AJo-AKo
    Almost all suited hands are called after limped, rarely folded
    For R/F on the suited site, use some wheel Axs, middling JXs, worst Txs, 9xs and 5xs.

30bb
    https://gyazo.com/bdb62c86e5396cb937a490c918a1f881

Lot less raising in the offsuit part, l/c down to A4o, K7o, Q8o, J8o, 87o.
    R/C Range heavily decreases, we only R/C A7s-A8s,KTs-KJs,QJs,JTs,T9s,88,65s,54s,A8o-A9o,Kto+,QJo.
    A lot more R/F hands taken from weaker suited Jx, Tx, 9x and 8x.
    L/J extends to A9o+,A5o,22-77,K9s.

20bb
    https://gyazo.com/f5d6c8a8e0840e41bd8c628f84590996

The only R/broke range we have are our best hands, 99+, A6s+, Kts+, Qjs, everything else L/C
    Jam-Range are lowest PPs, A5o-Ajo, KJo+, 87s, 98s, 97s
    L/J Range changes to 66-88,AQo+,A4o,ATs-AQs,A2s,K2s-K3s
    We call the stronger part of our L/F range only v 3x (K3o-K60,Q7o,97o,97o,almost everything from lower suited bracket)

15bb
    https://gyazo.com/ffc5dc9ccc7b8e0bb428fd61d2ea5429

There is a limp/call v R/Allin range, AA,K7s-Kts,Q9s-Qjs,JTs (best suited stuff of jam range incl. AA)
    There is a limp/allin range 88-KK, A3s-A6s, ATs+,
    AKo,KQo,KJs,A8s,A9s are R/C
    A lot is being jammed, up to AQo.
    Raise/Fold range is considerably smaller, K2o,K3o,64s,75s,85s,96s

Results-wise I’m experiencing a downswing right now, so not the ideal circumstances are given to be more confident about my potential improvement last days. However, I think I’m doing pretty good and notice that most of my decisions are infact correct and the studying made me more comfortable around certain spots.

Goals for tomorrow

• Generate 150 Spots for MP/LP/SB for exercise
    • Rebuild ranges where obvious leaks are shown
    • Review hands from todays and yesterdays session (ideally doing so by engaging more in the Discord group)
    • No volume goals, as I’m not available in the evening. However, the gameplan is to get some playing in

Until then, happy grinding!

f1nexx
    Participant

• Generate 150 Spots for MP/LP/SB for exercise Did 200 for each spot
    • Rebuild ranges where obvious leaks are shown There were no significant mistakes apart from SB, no Range rebuilding though
    • Review hands from todays and yesterdays session (ideally doing so by engaging more in the Discord group) I did review all strategic spots myself and came to a conclusion on my own, so that I don’t think the input of others was needed. Regardless, I could look a bit more into the Discord group to help/engage with the analysis of other hands. Left some spots for tomorrow as a warm up to the session.
    • No volume goals, as I’m not available in the evening. However, the gameplan is to get some playing in The plan for the evening got rescheduled for tomorrow and left me in a pretty awkward time schedule where no longer grinding was possible. Could have probably gone for an hour to two hour grind, but couldn’t make it and decided to chill a bit in the evening. I’ll definitely make sure to avoid this trap in future and put in any amount of hands regardless.

From now on, I will drop the range exercises for MP/LP and mainly focus on daily SB exercises while I continue with the flatting topic now. I may casually do some DB analysis of said spots to see how if my learnings actually reflect in the gameplay.

Excited to start with BB considering Flatting/3betting topic, since this is one of the most essential spots, especially defending against LP.

My set of goals will look like this for tomorrow

• SB Analysis of 100 Spots (incl. Range Rebuilding at least for 30bb stacksize and lower)
    • Review notes on Flatting/3betting, maybe rewatching the TMC Video
    • Studying BB Flatting/3betting v EP
    • Find a way to include a nice outdoor-workout while still getting a good grind in until 6-6:30pm.

Happy grinding!

f1nexx
    Participant

Unfortunately I couldn’t get to study BBvEP flatting/3betting yesterday as SB analysis took somehow over and I rebuilt the entire ranges again. I will probably reduce the daily SB exercise by the range building, so simply generating spots, solving them and comparing with the ranges.

• SB Analysis of 100 Spots (incl. Range Rebuilding at least for 30bb stacksize and lower) done
    • Review notes on Flatting/3betting, maybe rewatching the TMC Video done.. what I need to pay attention to is to squeeze less on my limits. Feasible against regish players, but there are enough fish and in that case we should mostly call our hand
    • Studying BB Flatting/3betting v EP Done today, notes below
    • Find a way to include a nice outdoor-workout while still getting a good grind in until 6-6:30pm. There is a nice calisthenics park a few tram stations away, so that worked out good along with a short but sweet grind.

What I have noticed since my studying sessions is that I am probably better in around 75% of all studied spots, I feel more confident to know when I’m committed with a hand, know the true value of my hand, etc. However, I’ve also noticed for the other 25% that I’m prone to go for some closer (in fact, sometimes too close or marginal) spots that I haven’t gone before. They would be reasonable against more experienced players and regs, but may not work out against tighter opponents, which is what is more the norm on Micro Stakes (or at least my SNG tourneys). F.e., I opened 55 for 20bb in MP and after BB rejammed, I confidently called it of, because I have also learned this according to the ranges. However, the profitability of this call also assumes that the BB knows to rejam with suited BW hands, which would certainly be called by the average opponent I’m facing. As 55 resembles the bottom of my call-off range, I should have adapted and tightened up for said call.

As I’m getting to flatting/3betting, I will now  pay attention to the percentages also that the 3bet makes out to understand what the implications are for my previous studies. After all, this is how it should be – know in which cases I follow the strategy according to ranges and when I have to adapt.

Notes BBvEP Flatting/3betting

50bb

https://gyazo.com/3772912f0193f4191d69e9080a4003b5

– Almost everything can be flatted on suited site

– Pick good SC as 3b bluffs, down to 65s, along with AXs, ATo and some strong Kxs

– With 2x, we can flat any Kx, Q4o+, J5o+, T6o+, 96o+, 85o+, 74o+, 63o+, 53o, 43o

– Against reg size, K9o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T8o,54o and A4o+ will be flatted

40bb

https://gyazo.com/cec0f4a4ee66f4f5bb08c616d7af8708

– Considerably tighter in the offsuit part of the range (-50%), K9o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T8o,54o and some Ax (A7o+,A5o,A4o) will be flatted

– Fewer bluffs, middling SC and strongish Kxs (K9s,K8s), as well ATo

– TT,JJ,AK are 3b/c, while QQ+ and AKs are 3b/c or 3b/j

30bb

https://gyazo.com/5f730b92a3a0a4d277feacd9955cf131

– Flatting range wides, all A2o+, K7o+, Q9o+, J9+, 54o+. One to two combos widened if minraise

– Everything suited is flatted

– For 3b/f, we pick hands that don’t block his folding range but block the rejamming range (K5s, A9o) including lower SC and 97s

– Jamming with 99-TT and AK occasionally

20bb

https://gyazo.com/c34350077add7e49b598d0b3eaa7557d

– Jamming from 55+, not AJs though but A5s. Some strong suited BW (KTs, QJs, JTs and QTs st),

– Flatting increased to K5o+, Q8o+, J8o+, T7o, 97o, 86o, 75o, 54o+

15bb rejam range

https://gyazo.com/eef3e83238b3c05d03ebd9de88eeeb2b

– All suited BW can be jammed along with PPs for 20bb

– 15bb includes ATo, KQo, A8s

The Switch to MTTs

I have previously mainly grinded SNGs going up to the $2.50 180mans. However, I see myself in future as a MTT player and after a good input from a study buddy, I’ve decided to match the bankroll of my Stars account ($600) on other sites to go for a different tournament schedule of other regular MTTs and Turbos. Reasons:

• Micro SNG Stakes such as mine should be played in bigger volume (9-15 tables I heard, but not sure on that), but I’m somewhat limited in that sense as for my playing time, they pop up every 45min and the ROI therefore isn’t as good as it could be. I pop some $1.50 45mans meanwhile, but don’t feel like grinding those anymore.. they’re good, but a bit boring. Once its evening, the $2.50’s pop up a lot more often, but I wouldn’t want to sacrifice my early mornings for that
    • Grinding MTTs will allow me to diversify site-wise and to test myself in longer lasting formats. This comes also with a lower amount of flexibility, that I’ve learned to enjoy with SNGs :( But yeah, whatever it takes – lets try it out!

Goals for tomorrow

• Generate 100 Spots for SB for exercise
    • Look at BBvMP Flatting/3Betting
    • Get up early and in case muscle fatigue isn’t too bad, go for a workout after lunch or cardio in the morning to free up time space in the afternoon
    • Commence with the first MTT grind in the early afternoon

Until then, happy grinding!

f1nexx
    Participant

Previous goals

• Generate 100 Spots for SB for exercise Missed this exercise on the 15th, so I generated 200 SB Spots and solved them yesterday to compensate for it
    • Look at BBvMP Flatting/3Betting I looked at BBvMP flatting on the 15th, but noticed that there were somewhen adaptations for HJ which I didnt look at originally, but then also studied a bit yesterday
    • Get up early and in case muscle fatigue isn’t too bad, go for a workout after lunch or cardio in the morning to free up time space in the afternoon Went pretty good, started with the grind around 2pm and grinded it out till 8:30 pm, so a solid time considering I was previously mainly grinding 3-4h and feeling fatigued
    • Commence with the first MTT grind in the early afternoon Im mainly going for regular tourneys on Stars now, when evening slows down a bit I tend to put in some Turbo SNGs along with other tournaments

Here’s a little insight to how I work – if my daily routine isn’t somehow interrupted, I have no problem to get my shit through. No problemo. However, if I should wake up only one hour later or something else comes up during the original studying time, my body quickly goes “Oh welp, time wasted, not worth it, entire day is fucked”.. perfectionism so to speak. I absolutely hate this trait of me and I know its a weakness that needs to be fixed. Its like losing a small pot in a tourney and then sitting out for the rest of it. I became more aware of this issue in the past months and I guess I’m seeing some progress.

For example today, I was busy setting up a VPS (Virtual Private Server) I’ve rented for some solver work, and couldn’t get any noteworthy study in in the morning, nor did I go on the treadmill – so you’d think those are bad circumstances and I wouldn’t get some volume in, but still ended up with a solid 6h session today. Plus, with occassional food during break time, I actually withstood the fatigue I usually experienced. So I like it!

Although Im currently in Bosnia mainly to poker, at the moment a few relatives are visiting and my cousin is also finishing Uni. So I’m not going to be able to rigorously follow my routine, but will also enjoy a bit of spare time with ’em. Thats how it should be. My plan over the next days is to mainly cover BBvLP and then to setup some learning cards for all spots so far considering flatting/3betting with the ranges, opening frequencies from villain, etc to study. Although I looked at the BBvEP/MP ranges and stuff, it is not bullet-proof and I want to repeat it again – no rush. The other time will be allocated to hand analysis and grinding. First I want to do the analysis by hand, before doing solver work and analyzing it thoroughly (also interact more in Discord for that).

Goals for tomorrow

• 100SB Spots
    • Look at BBvLP, ideally being able to set up cards for that and all other positions so far
    • Allocate rest to hand analysis, post the most interesting one in Discord
    • Life in general: Get some cardio in, hit town during the day with my cousin

Till next time, happy grinding!

f1nexx
    Participant

Today was a day off to test how this works for me. Usually I only took days off playing-wise but still studied, so yeah. Ive meanwhile created the learning cards for all studied flatting positions so far and will continue tomorrow with BBvEP flatting repetition.

Overall, I want to improve my studying when it comes to postflop. I want and I will now analyze one hand per day at a minimum next to the regular studying, as I want to familiarize myself more with postflop ranges to have a better sense ingame.

But back tomorrow, lets do this.

Goals for 24.09.2019

• Analyze 100 generated SB Spots
    • Study BBvMP learning cards, DB analysis
    • Allocate rest of time to hand analysis before playing

f1nexx
    Participant

So meanwhile I’ve progressed as far to have completed BBvX spots, I’ve created the learning cards and have got to SBvMP including learning cards. I got to put in some volume, although not to the level I’d have liked to since I got visit this week. To be fair it may also have been due to the downswingy results I got in the past weeks, since I lost nearly half my roll and have meanwhile moved down to grind some lower buyin SNGs than usual before dipping my toes into the usual buyins for tournaments/SNGs again.

I will be visiting some relatives from this evening till start of next week, so its like a mini vacation and will most likely also help to get the mind straight and rekindle the passion for the game again after the poor results. Something that was on my mind is to try some cash games also during my time here, to see how those would fit my needs. It would certainly complicate the learning path, if not erase it having to learn new ranges, but I see big potential for me, since it would:

• Mean less variance than tournaments, could build up a bankroll more quickly
    • Help to get in more hands and focus more on deep postflop play (which to be fair also happens during tourneys, but in the end its mostly profitably reshoving within the tournaments that I play) -> will improve quicker and get more familiar with ranges quickly

This would be at the cost of:

• Cash Games being not as thrilling as tournaments (to me atleast, I like to chase the win, but I could probably include some tourneys on weekends)
    • Tougher fields

So overall, I don’t see too many downsides apart from losing some of the time invested into the learning so far for tournament play, but I’ll see – if that is the only thing and cash games, which I’ve started with, turn out to be remotely as fun as tournaments, I assume it would be huge for my longterm improvement as a poker player.

Till next time, happy grinding!

dreamstrike13
    Participant

Love the idea of study cards for specific spots! Will have to try and implement that in my training. Cheers mate.

rye_mariano5

Diving into some cash study/play will def benefit your game a lot longterm so I would recommend it.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.