Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Never Settle – My studying blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey Community

My name is Emir, I’m 23 years old and from Switzerland. I’ve been playing Poker since 2015 and started around 2017 to really study the game on/off. Originally, I started with Cash Games and transitioned to SNGs/MTTs where I’m currently playing up to 1.5$ SNGs, mostly Standard and Turbo Format. On the weekend I like to throw in some MTTs as well.

Poker is a passion of mine, which I would like to handle in a more professional manner. In my opinion, to come close to Poker Mastery, it is absolutely necessary to follow a collaborative approach and discuss it with fellow grinders, which I feel was lacking for me and seems to be a big part of the RYE community.

I don’t have any particular goals or a structure for this blog, but think of it as a supporting tool to keep track of my studying and findings.. hopefully it also keeps me somewhat accountable to keep the grind up in every way everyday – play-wise, as study-wise I’m putting the emphasis on studying (75/25 study-play ratio), as I think it is more important at the start and lets me work toward a sound theory-fundament from which I can navigate further.

These are my poker-related goals which I’ll keep track of right now.. maybe I’ll include personal goals in future as well.

Weekly Goals

• Journaling at least once a week (which doesn’t mean it can’t be more)
    • Have at least 7 marked hands analyzed per end of the week
    • Study one RYE-video per week (apply said concepts during the same weeks play)
    • Visit hand-discussions in forums for 3.5h per week (thats 30min per day and should be feasible for someone who hasnt been active in forums at all)

Monthly Goals

• Revisit topics which were studied after a month and see if it manifested in the unconscious play, if necessary re-study

Timely not defined goals

• Find/Form a study group to discuss hands or theory
    • Actively engage in Forums / Discord

My forum activitiy is formulated passively on purpose for the moment, as I don’t think I have a sound base yet to provide value to others. Furthermore, there are a lot of topics waiting to be studied Maybe this thought is wrong and someone has a different perspective, I’m curious – let me know! #changemymind

I think thats all for now .. happy grinding, family!

bencb
    Keymaster

Hey buddy, welcome on board :)

Looking forward to reading about updates and progress in your journey! Lets GO

f1nexx
    Participant

Edit: Mistakenly double-posted

f1nexx
    Participant

Hey buddy, welcome on board ?

Cheers Ben!

HAND-ANALYSIS

Already excited to see how my approach for hand analysis is going to change within the next weeks and months as I’m learning about more and different concepts. I’ve analyzed two hands but missed to keep track of the findings and integrate them into this post, so in future I will change that. For today there will be only two hands which don’t and cannot really include deep analysis, as the play goes multiway in one and the other one is a basic push/fold spot.

Hand 1:

PokerStars – 25/50 Ante 6 NL – Holdem – 9 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+2: 26.12 BB (VPIP: 34.62, PFR: 19.23, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 26)
    CO: 35.08 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    BTN: 28.54 BB (VPIP: 26.67, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 15)
    SB: 26.72 BB (VPIP: 25.22, PFR: 23.77, 3Bet Preflop: 14.66, Hands: 1,127)
    BB: 28.58 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    Hero (UTG): 41.54 BB
    UTG+1: 31.9 BB (VPIP: 20.20, PFR: 11.46, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 100)
    MP: 19.7 BB (VPIP: 46.15, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
    MP+1: 31.82 BB (VPIP: 14.44, PFR: 9.30, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 91)

9 players post ante of 0 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.58 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:spade:

Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (9.08 BB, 3 players) 8:spade: 9:spade: 8:heart:
    BB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 4.64 BB, BB raises to 9.28 BB, fold, fold,

Although our equity is vulnerable against FDs, OESD and Gutshots, I had the intention to x/shove against button who I perceived to be a bit more aggressive. I expect him to over c-bet next to his TP and FD-Overcards, which he would then most likely commit to with me shoving. However with BBs min-raise, I don’t think we have the best hand that often.. I would treat a shove differently and commit most likely, but min-raising on this board with his stack-size seems too 8x heavy, as I expect toppairs and draws to shove. In hindsight, I would have liked to bet this board – it may be GTO-wise the best combo to check here, but I might miss value from draws that are checked back and the sample on BU isn’t big enough to justify my assumptions.

Hand 2:

PokerStars – 60/120 Ante 15 NL – Holdem – 7 players

BB: 17.23 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    UTG: 8.97 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    UTG+1: 22.97 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    MP: 7.58 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 27.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
    CO: 18.67 BB (VPIP: 20.37, PFR: 14.22, 3Bet Preflop: 10.81, Hands: 218)
    Hero (BTN): 23.84 BB
    SB: 12.21 BB (VPIP: 8.00, PFR: 4.35, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 25)

7 players post ante of 0 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.37 BB) Hero has A:diamond: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.15 BB, fold, BB raises to 7 BB, Hero calls 4.85 BB

Flop: (15.37 BB, 2 players) 5:heart: K:spade: 9:heart:
    BB bets 10.11 BB and is all-in, fold,

This one felt weird, where the BB 3-bet half his stack with 17 BB and I held AQo. I would have snap called a shove but against this raise size I’m not sure. I thought his range is weighted towards the stronger side and decided to call and shove with onepair+. Looking back, I would like to either shove or fold, leaning more towards shoving. His sizing seems to be large for inducing and I think he´d go smaller if he wanted to keep me in the pot. Maybe I´m overcomplicating and should just see it as it is – 17bb and AQo is a mandatory shove against a 3-bet, even against such 3-bets.

Lessons learned

Get away from fancy play such as inducing or balancing in simple and vulnerable spots such as Hand 1
    Don’t be afraid to commit with strong hands against readless opponents. In the long run, it should work out
    Comments

What I notice and I think this is something that not a lot of people like to work on, is that a lot of plays are simply based on intuition instead of true knowledge of why it is profitable. If you’d ask me in Hand 1 which exact hands I’m trying to get value from in villains range and which percentage these hands make out of villains range, I couldn’t tell you. Maybe approximately and after a thorough thinking session, but thats not how it should be in my opinion. I believe this should come automatically, unconsciously and faster. We should have an idea for why we bet and when.

Therefore, I will most likely implement some deliberate practice where I’m going to write down the holdings, what percentage that makes, what percentage I’m targeting when betting/bluffing, etc. Afterwards I can analyze my assumptions and intuitive approaches with studying tools (Flopzilla, CardRunnersEV) and see if they’re correct. If I’m encountering any big differences, I can write them down and perform drills on them. This sounds really fancy and is easy to type, but I’m already dreading the next studying session If I shouldn’t see any improvements within lets say this year, I will turn down this approach and simplify it. I guess simply hammering calculations and running different equity calculations will do then as well.

For this week, I plan to revisit the openraise-topics and analyze my opening range for different effective stack sizes. This way, I should be able to then start next week with Flatcalling & 3-betting.

f1nexx
    Participant

Hey buddy, welcome on board ?

Cheers Ben!

HAND-ANALYSIS

Already excited to see how my approach for hand analysis is going to change within the next weeks and months as I’m learning about more and different concepts. I’ve analyzed two hands but missed to keep track of the findings and integrate them into this post, so in future I will change that. For today there will be only two hands which don’t and cannot really include deep analysis, as the play goes multiway in one and the other one is a basic push/fold spot.

Hand 1:

PokerStars – 25/50 Ante 6 NL – Holdem – 9 players

MP+2: 26.12 BB (VPIP: 34.62, PFR: 19.23, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 26)
    CO: 35.08 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    BTN: 28.54 BB (VPIP: 26.67, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 15)
    SB: 26.72 BB (VPIP: 25.22, PFR: 23.77, 3Bet Preflop: 14.66, Hands: 1,127)
    BB: 28.58 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    Hero (UTG): 41.54 BB
    UTG+1: 31.9 BB (VPIP: 20.20, PFR: 11.46, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 100)
    MP: 19.7 BB (VPIP: 46.15, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
    MP+1: 31.82 BB (VPIP: 14.44, PFR: 9.30, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 91)

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.58 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:spade:

Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (9.08 BB, 3 players) 8:spade: 9:spade: 8:heart:
    BB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets 4.64 BB, BB raises to 9.28 BB, fold, fold,

Although our equity is vulnerable against FDs, OESD and Gutshots, I had the intention to x/shove against button who I perceived to be a bit more aggressive. I expect him to over c-bet next to his TP and FD-Overcards, which he would then most likely commit to with me shoving. However with BBs min-raise, I don’t think we have the best hand that often.. I would treat a shove differently and commit most likely, but min-raising on this board with his stack-size seems too 8x heavy, as I expect toppairs and draws to shove. In hindsight, I would have liked to bet this board – it may be GTO-wise the best combo to check here, but I might miss value from draws that are checked back and the sample on BU isn’t big enough to justify my assumptions.

Hand 2:

PokerStars – 60/120 Ante 15 NL – Holdem – 7 players

BB: 17.23 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    UTG: 8.97 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    UTG+1: 22.97 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
    MP: 7.58 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 27.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
    CO: 18.67 BB (VPIP: 20.37, PFR: 14.22, 3Bet Preflop: 10.81, Hands: 218)
    Hero (BTN): 23.84 BB
    SB: 12.21 BB (VPIP: 8.00, PFR: 4.35, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 25)

7 players post ante of 0 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.37 BB) Hero has A:diamond: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.15 BB, fold, BB raises to 7 BB, Hero calls 4.85 BB

Flop: (15.37 BB, 2 players) 5:heart: K:spade: 9:heart:
    BB bets 10.11 BB and is all-in, fold,

This one felt weird, where the BB 3-bet half his stack with 17 BB and I held AQo. I would have snap called a shove but against this raise size I’m not sure. I thought his range is weighted towards the stronger side and decided to call and shove with onepair+. Looking back, I would like to either shove or fold, leaning more towards shoving. His sizing seems to be large for inducing and I think he´d go smaller if he wanted to keep me in the pot. Maybe I´m overcomplicating and should just see it as it is – 17bb and AQo is a mandatory shove against a 3-bet, even against such 3-bets.

Lessons learned

Get away from fancy play such as inducing or balancing in simple and vulnerable spots such as Hand 1
    Don’t be afraid to commit with strong hands against readless opponents. In the long run, it should work out
    Comments

What I notice and I think this is something that not a lot of people like to work on, is that a lot of plays are simply based on intuition instead of true knowledge of why it is profitable. If you’d ask me in Hand 1 which exact hands I’m trying to get value from in villains range and which percentage these hands make out of villains range, I couldn’t tell you. Maybe approximately and after a thorough thinking session, but thats not how it should be in my opinion. I believe this should come automatically, unconsciously and faster. We should have an idea for why we bet and when.

Therefore, I will most likely implement some deliberate practice where I’m going to write down the holdings, what percentage that makes, what percentage I’m targeting when betting/bluffing, etc. Afterwards I can analyze my assumptions and intuitive approaches with studying tools (Flopzilla, CardRunnersEV) and see if they’re correct. If I’m encountering any big differences, I can write them down and perform drills on them. This sounds really fancy and is easy to type, but I’m already dreading the next studying session If I shouldn’t see any improvements within lets say this year, I will turn down this approach and simplify it. I guess simply hammering calculations and running different equity calculations will do then as well.

For this week, I plan to revisit the openraise-topics and analyze my opening range for different effective stack sizes. This way, I should be able to then start next week with Flatcalling & 3-betting

Till next time folks!

f1nexx
    Participant

HAND-ANALYSIS

So I took action this morning and wanted to contribute to a hand-discussion on another forum. Unfortunately, it somehow didn’t work out with pasting my images and left me desperate, so I’ll just post the hand with my analysis here in case someone wants to contribute to it or challenge the assumptions I made.

Situation: Apparently nowhere near the bubble, no reads on villain

PokerStars, $0.98 + $0.12 – Hold’em No Limit – 100/200 (25 ante) – 9 players

(UTG): 5,409 (27 bb)
    (UTG+1): 18,597 (93 bb)
    (MP): 4,452 (22 bb)
    (MP+1): 13,844 (69 bb)
    (LP): 17,726 (89 bb)
    (CO): 3,203 (16 bb)
    (BU): 7,194 (36 bb)
    (SB): 9,005 (45 bb)
    (BB): 16,550 (83 bb)

Pre-Flop: (525) Hero is UTG with Q♠ Q♦
    (UTG) raises to 680, 3 players fold, (LP) 3-bets to 1,999, 4 players fold, (UTG) calls 1,319

Flop: (4,523) T♣ 6♣ J♦ (2 players)
    (UTG) bets 3,385 (all-in), (LP) calls 3,385

Turn: (11,293) 9♣ (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (11,293) 7♣ (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 11,293

Due to the different responses whether to shove preflop or call, I decided to simulate this in CardRunnersEV with the following assumptions:

• Heros range is: 66+,A2-A5s,A9s+,AJo+,KQo 12.82%
    • Villains 3-betting range, which is pretty tight but his 3-bet looks extremely strong against UTGs EP-raise: QQ+,AKo,AQs+ 2.87%
    • This is situation is ChipEV, meaning no ICM involved yet

Shoving over his open

Assumption:

• Villain doesn’t fold any part of his range due to his strong range. I think that the population tendency isn’t weighed towards taking advantage of light EP opens and 3-bet bluff in such spots, but to do it mainly for value. And against EP open, I expect his range to be strong and not folding against a 4-bet.

Shoving over his open is only profitable with the following hands (in Chip EV):

Calling and then shoving

Here, I had to make some more assumptions:

• If we call, we commit with at least TP or a strong flushdraw (2nd nut-flushdraw at least) and shove flop, we check the rest
    • If we shove, villain commits with at least TP or flushdraw as well and folds rest
    • If we check, villain shoves most of his range to put pressure on us

Here are the profitable hands you can do that with (in ChipEV):

So in conclusion, it seems to be more profitable to call this bet and ensure a safe flop which you can shove with instead of shoving with QQ (almost break-even), which sort of makes sense in my opinion – we don’t have any fold-equity with our 4-bet shove if villain has a strong 3-betting range and we make sure to give ourselves the best circumstances to get it in.

Obviously, this will vary depending on the assumptions you make, but I think this should resemble microstakes tendencies and is still on the tight side, as most would also commit with middling pocket-pairs with a SPR of 1 (which AKs could then be included as well).

rye_mariano5

His open size is unnecessarily big off that stack. just for the min raise.

I also think the opp could be 3 betting some TT and JJ sometimes especially at these stakes. So I think just 4 bet shoving will be fine. Flatting is okay, but it also allows you to get bluffed off the best hand sometimes and also lose value vs his worse hands on bad flops.

f1nexx
    Participant

His open size is unnecessarily big off that stack. just for the min raise. I also think the opp could be 3 betting some TT and JJ sometimes especially at these stakes. So I think just 4 bet shoving will be fine. Flatting is okay, but it also allows you to get bluffed off the best hand sometimes and also lose value vs his worse hands on bad flops.

Didn’t even notice the almost 3x opener. But yeah I agree, I would never take the calling-fold line on missed flops against a suspected aggressive player. Thanks for the input.

Session recap of 30th June 2018

So I had a grinding session for close to 4 hours saturday afternoon and would like to recap a few things which went well and some which went bad.

• I usually pay attention at the tables but somewhen like to peek into a forum or YouTube for a quick minute while playing. Although the length doesn’t seem to bad, I think it can quite interrupt the flow of your game and it should be avoided. It went however great this time and I think it was due to a new music which accompanied my play. Normally, I’d listen to binaural beats which should stimulate your brain (there should be a playlist on Spotify if anyone is curious) but it is a bit too boring for me as a person. I found a 24/7 lofi hip-hop playlist which keeps me in the correct mood (especially required with the after-effects of a pre-workout supplement )

• On a few occasions, I seem to really draw unproven conclusions from small HUD-samples. Thats really dangerous and I will have my HUD reworked till Thursday for the next grinding session to contain less information. This will force me to not rely on random numbers when thinking about a decisions, but think in a more sound way and to only take the HUD if necessary. Seems also if I justify some plays according to it. Heres the current one:

• Although I’m reading a book about patience (The Powe of Patience by M. J. Ryan), I could use more of it at a final table. I proceeded to shove with 10bb and T30 into a looser player in the BB. Apparently endless-folding, some imaginary-ICM conclusions and other assumptions can sometimes create strange things.

• Play quality overall was quite well I suppose, I was happy with my decisions apart from one spot which I’m going to analyze thoroughly in a latter post together with the T3o shoving hand. I hope to reduce such issues by first of all learning better and second the same that comes when posting such hands here.

Resulting Action list

• Reduce HUD stats
    • Keep the study on to dodge spots such as the Final table punt

Studying today

So today I studied some Push-Fold spots and of 10 studied spots was amazed to see how wide we can push even with 20bb from the button:

BU (20bb), nash
    35.5%, 22+ Ax K4s+ KTo+ Q6s+ QTo+ J7s+ JTo T7s+ T9o 96s+ 86s+ 76s 65s

BU (20bb), adapted
    24.0%, 22+ A2s+ A3o+ K9s+ KJo+ QTs+ J9s+ T9s

I adapted the Range according to Bens comment in Discord on which Edge to take when analyzing such Push/Fold spots:

<10bb slightly -ev
    10-12bb any +ev spot
    12-15bb 5% of AA EV
    15-20bb 7-10% of AA EV

I was really happy to find this information, as I was often unsure which edge to exactly take when pushing and it also makes sense – to go a bit tighter when the risk is higher, but loosen up with less and sometimes also go a bit into negative -EV!

Studying outlook for the week

I will probably analyze the last marked hands tomorrow and go through the OpenRaising-Theory again before continuing with the Flatting/3-betting Video on Wednesday. This will give me also some time to engage in forum discussions (probably should also do so in Discord soon, seems to be great there as well)

See you guys!

f1nexx
    Participant

Due to preparations for the upcoming holidays, visit from abroad and other events I wasn’t really able to put in the necessary hours for this week. I started with the Flatting/3-Betting video, but only finished half of it on Wednesday. I will see how this week plans out and decide if my attention will go to general books (Patience, Think and Grow Rich) or still include poker studies, as I will be gone for a week afterwards.

Nevertheless, my studies will definitely continue with full force from the end of July on (30th, possibly earlier). I’m excited to be then back with loaded energy and tackle my poker goals again.

Talk to you guys soon.

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey. In the 20 bb spot on the BTN. I think this is not a push or fold spot. You can jam some hands here which are super profitable jams but you dont want be raise/calling like 22/33/44. But then you should also have a raising range in which you have raise/calls as well as raise/folds. So basically the principle is to raise the best and worst parts of you range and jam the ones in the middle. Especially when you get even shorter then 20bb.

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy your holiday

Weezy

f1nexx
    Participant

Hey. In the 20 bb spot on the BTN. I think this is not a push or fold spot. You can jam some hands here which are super profitable jams but you dont want be raise/calling like 22/33/44. But then you should also have a raising range in which you have raise/calls as well as raise/folds. So basically the principle is to raise the best and worst parts of you range and jam the ones in the middle. Especially when you get even shorter then 20bb.

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy your holiday

Weezy

Hey Weezy, cheers for your input. I was just surprised, seeing how wide we can go on the BU in a Push/Fold scenario and it still being profitable. I wouldn’t jam 20bb with T9s f.e. .. have you taken this from the OpenRaising-Lecture or does this come up later within the Pushing-Lecture?

f1nexx
    Participant

UPDATE

So, holidays are over and with somewhat fully loaded batteries I’m eager to get back on the grind. However, I’m not currently on 100% but more like 75%, as I’ve gotten sick towards end of holidays and currently trying to get rid of some stomach issues, which are going on for two weeks (seeing the doctor tomorrow, so I will hopefully be completely fine by end of the week). To be honest though, I still believe that my state could be enough to start with studying again, but I want to start strong and altogether with my old habits (exercising, meditating, nutrition, etc.). The reason I came back on this Forum though is because I want to share a story though which happened a few days before my vacation and could be valuable for a lot of people:

Now to start off, I’m absolutely not engaged in Politics and have basically no or little clue about it, so my explanation here might be flawed – Ill try though: In Switzerland, a few months ago the voting was going on and it was also decided if gambling should be regulated and going through local operators. It was accepted with around 70ish %, which means Online Poker will be restricted greatly in Switzerland in the foreseeable future.

It was said that this will take effect start or mid of 2019, but then I received a message from a friend saying “Yo, can you login to PokerStars? My friend says its blocked for him”. At the first moment, I wasn’t that concerned. “Maybe no connection, shady account whatever, it can’t affect anyone yet, can it..” I thought, but within the same second “… but what if thats it?”. I wouldn’t be able to pursue my hobby the same way as before, would have to rely on moving to a different country, relying on other sites (ACR) if I wanted to keep doing it. I felt something I haven’t felt in a long time.

Regret.

Why didn’t I keep pushing the last week before holidays (like it mattered)? Why didn’t I put more hours in? Why did I take this for granted? I wish I could have captured the feeling for some of you, because it is obviously hard to emphasize with this by purely reading, if you haven’t felt regret like me in a long time. So afterwards I quickly tried on my laptop and quickly saw that PokerStars still worked and this was only a temporary issue. Nevertheless, it will be reality in half a year and I will somehow have to cope with it. You can either give up, or embrace change and rise greater. In my case, I could start travellling more and transitioning slowly to live events, moving or incorporating a few sites which I could still play on (ACR f.e.) in future. I haven’t fully made up my plan yet, but I will definitely embrace the changing circumstances.

For the reader, my TLDR or takeaways would be:

• Don’t take things for granted (action plan could be to practice gratitude in the morning when meditating, which I’ve heard to impact general happines a lot).
    • Avoid Regret. Seeing it logically, to me Regret is a difference in what you have done and what you could have done. If I had done enough, I wouldn’t have felt regret. I’d be a bit sad, but hey, I gave it all. Question yourself If you’d feel regret, if from tomorrow on all Online Poker for your country was banned. It may reveal your true potential.
    • Embrace change, prepare for the worst, come back greater.

I will talk to you soon. Until then, happy grinding.

f1nexx
    Participant

STUDYING RECAP CW 32

So I’ve slowly got back into grinding this week and studying. I’ve completed the Flatting/3-betting video, but haven’t really put any exercises into it, so I won’t move on the following week with other topics. This will also keep me accountable in future to look at topics properly, else I will just lose time if I don’t.

Therefore, my findings this week are not many, but I have one interesting hand analyzed which I’d like to share with you. First of all though, action list for next week will be:

• Put in practice for the flatting/3-betting theory with personal database (or record session with thoughts explained as Ben suggested)
    • Reduce the descriptions in my HUD. I’ve found that my HUD may look a bit messy due to the prefixes I’ve configured (Such as “STL: 85” for Steal instead of just “85” with a specific color). I will reevaluate that this week
    • Create Template for hand analysis, so I can simply copy paste it for this blog after studying
    • Get back into my old studying habits with forums, hand discussions, etc.

HAND ANALYSIS

PokerStars – 10/20 Ante 3 NL – Holdem – 9 players

CO: 74.85 BB (VPIP: 15.13, PFR: 12.07, 3Bet Preflop: 2.50, Hands: 121)
    BTN: 74.35 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
    SB: 72.85 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 7.14, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
    BB: 67.85 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
    UTG: 74.85 BB (VPIP: 16.95, PFR: 14.52, 3Bet Preflop: 3.25, Hands: 408)
    UTG+1: 85.7 BB (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 21.82, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 56)
    MP: 74.85 BB (VPIP: 19.57, PFR: 15.67, 3Bet Preflop: 16.98, Hands: 138)
    Hero (MP+1): 74.85 BB
    MP+2: 74.85 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.85 BB) Hero has A:diamond: A:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls 1 BB, fold, Hero raises to 3.75 BB, fold, fold, BTN calls 3.75 BB, fold, BB calls 2.75 BB, fold

Flop: (14.1 BB, 3 players) 3:heart: 8:spade: 9:spade:
    BB checks, Hero bets 9.45 BB, BTN calls 9.45 BB, fold

Turn: (33 BB, 2 players) 8:heart:
    Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (33 BB, 2 players) T:diamond:
    Hero bets 12.5 BB, BTN raises to 37.5 BB, fold,

Preflop: Preflop I think is fine. I was only questioning maybe raising bigger, but I think close to 4 BB should be fine with a limper.

Flop: On the flop we have a clear bet, I decided to go large as there are a lot of hands (MP, TP, FD and OESD, Gutshots) we wan’t to get value from. I give villain the following range before and after villains call:

Before call: 99-22,AJs-A2s,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,97s+,86s+,76s,KQo

After call: K9s,Q9s,J9s+,T9s,87s,76s,KsQs,KsJs,QsJs,KsTs,QsTs

Turn: I dislike the Check on the Turn. Yes, villain has a few 8s in his range, but there are more draws that we can get value from. I’ve put this hand into GTO+ and it also recommended to check back AA as overpairs on this turn. I didn’t really know why it would do that and compared it to other Overpairs, which we should bet more often (TT-KK). I’m no expert to why that is, but I believe it has to do with me holding the As, which reduces the potential combos for Ax-flushdraws in his range and therefore increases the likelihood for a pair-hand. Maybe therefore the software chose to balance with AsAx. However, balance shouldn’t be our concern with this readless villain and on microstakes. Vil. checks back and I assume he’d bet his trips, so I remove these out of his range:

K9s,Q9s,J9s+,T9s,76s,KsQs,KsJs,QsJs,KsTs,QsTs

River: I bet on the smaller side to give him incentives to call with 9x or a turned TP after turn action. Vil raised and I don’t think he would do this as a bluff. Yes, he has many missed draws apart from his gutshot now, but I doubt he turns them into a bluff, especially with this sizing (he still had 20bb behind). On the other hand, he also only reps 76 and QJ in this spot with my assumption.. but yeah, I’m glad with my decision. I could see myself calling against other more aggressive opponents, but not with readless vil.

Thats it for this week, talk to you soon, happy grinding.

rye_mariano5

Yeah, I don’t see a ton of bluffs in his range on the river there. But you’re also way up in your range. Still though, I don’t expect you’ll get exploited there. Your hand looks like an overpair and I don’t think people will be expecting you to fold it. If you want to have some calls, you can also defend with hands like JJ, QQ, which block straights, and also KK and AA without a spade sometimes as they don’t block his missed FDs. They’ll work better than this combo.

f1nexx
    Participant

STUDYING RECAP CW 33

The studying continued and following tasks were accomplished this week:

Put in practice for the flatting/3-betting theory with personal database (or record session with thoughts explained as Ben suggested)
    Reduce the descriptions in my HUD.
    Create Template for hand analysis, so I can simply copy paste it for this blog after studying
    Get back into my old studying habits with forums, hand discussions, etc.
    I did some minor anaylsis, however I lacked behind with started habit of going to forums and discussing hands. I’ll have to get this sorted asap, as I think this is a major thing to improve faster. Also this weekend I was bit more busy than I thought I’d be and didn’t make it to the template or some good hand analysis, however, this will also get taken care of.

I really liked that I invested one more week into analyzing the flatting and 3-betting spots through my DB, as it revealed some crucial mistakes. This is to be honest the first time I thoroughly analyzed my database with specific filters, as I else mostly analyze marked hands, and it makes a big difference. Im planning to incorporate openraise/flatting/3-betting analysis at the end of the week, but will have to see how it fits my schedule and which spots (most likely BB,SB and LP).

These were my findings this week:

• I’m folding too much and could be including more calls against a lot of opponents (especially vs. EP)
    • Use AQo  as 3bet/fold in MP vs EP, unless <30bb, then we can flat or jam <25bb, not calling
    • Fold lower PPs more often in MP against EP open when readless table (not soft)
    • Neglect to call suited aces if table is not fishy (MP vs EP)
    • Jam more in BB with suited broadways, 3-bet more against BTN open in BB shortstacked (I tend to call more with suited hands that flop well)

I will post below the notes I’ve made so I can look them up again if necessary.

Apart from that, happy new week and grinding!

NOTES

<!–more–>

Monday 13.08.2018
    EPvsEP

– Flatting with hands such as KQs, AJs,99 (, QJs if soft) even though 20bb short

– We dont flat with xTs broadway cards EP vs EP, apart from ATs maybe

– EP vs EP AQo is a 3-bet instead of flat

50bb: Seems good, although called a smaller PP once

MPvsEP

– 50bb: AQo as 3bet/f instead of C, all suited aces and PP call when soft table

– 30-40bb: AJo/KQocan be called/3bet, AQo <30bb AI or 3b bluff, lower PPs only with 35bb+

– 20bb: 99-88 call, call with QJs, KJs,KQs,AJs,ATs (usually folded these)

40-50bb: Called 22 once, but should only call 55-JJ (if no fish only 77-JJ)

MPvsEP Flatting

Summary: Use AQo  as 3bet/fold in MP vs EP, unless <30bb, then we can flat or jam <25bb

Fold lower PPs more often in MP against EP open when readless table (not soft)

Neglect to call suited aces if table is not fishy

MPvsEP 3-betting

Summary

Middlestacked with around 30bb, not flatting with TT but GII

Middlestacked with higher PPs (99-77), we mostly shove over an open for FE -> DB Analysis how that fares for us

Tuesday 14.08.2018
    MPvsMP

LPvsEP

Flatting really wide (K5s,J8s,Q8s,T8s if soft) against EP open

Seems fine DB-analysis wise, but I believe I’m overfolding in this spot.

Wednesday 15.08.2018
    LPvsMP

50bb+: Flat AJo,AQo,KJo,KQo, pick more suited broadways as 3-bets. Dont go too far down with SC

30-40bb: Shoving 30bb with higher PP is okay against MP/LP, but not against EP, rather flat it

20bb: Can jam any PP <25bb, 22-88, pick suited aces as a bluff, not other suited broadway cards

LPvsLP

50bb+: 3-betting with AJo,AQo,KQs,AJs, SC, suited broadways and some aces. Flatting down to KTo (JTo if soft)

30-40bb: <30bb PPs down to 66 can be rejammed, some SC and suited aces as 3b/f, still flating KTo,

20bb: Jam with any PP, from 99 for value, AQo,AKo,KQo,KQs,KJs. Flat down to T9s, higher suited aces can be jammed as well. Lower suited aces, weakest broadway and SC as bluffs.

Analysis altogether with DB: I overfold in some spots, where there are tighter players with stronger ranges, which is fine.

However, I’m folding too much and could be including more calls against a lot of opponents. This entire topic will be considered for weekly reviewing together with the Opening Raises.

Thursday 16.08.2018
    SBvsEP

50bb+: Call down to x9s broadways, SC down to 54s, call all PPs, 3bet/call with {TT,JJ,KQs,AQs,AJs} and 3b/f with AQo,AJo,suited broadways, SC

30-40bb: Call with AQo,AJo,KQo, include only lower SC and some suited x8s if 35bb+, all in with 99,TT <30bb, call AQs, call all suited aces

20bb: Flat only with JTs,QTs,QJs,KTs if table is soft and KJs (<25bb). Else all in 88+,AQo+,KQs,ATs+. Bluff with lower suited aces

SBvsMP

50bb+: Flatting down to suited x9s broadways, 4-bet range (TT-QQ,KQs,AJs,AQs), some higher suited aces as bluff, SC and unsuited higher Ax (AQo,AJo, also KQo)

30-40bb: 3b/f more Aces (A6s-A7s, and 50% with ATo,AJo,KJo,KQo) or broadways not SCs

20bb: All PPs can be reshoved, {JTs-ATs,QJs,KJs,KQs,T9s} can be 3b/j or flatted with 25-30bb, 3b/f with A2s-A5s, AI Range: 22-TT,AJo+,KQo,AJs,J9s-K9s

SBvsLP

50bb+: 3b/c range {AJo,AQo,88-TT,KJs,KQs,ATs-AQs,A6s-A7s}, flatting to suited 7x broadways and JTo against BU. Some SC, offsuit Broadways and suited broadways as bluffs

30-40bb: AI (<35bb) is 66-99,AJs,AJo, flat down to x8 suited broadways

20bb: AI with {22-99,A9o+,KT+,QJo,A8s-AJs,K5s-KQs,Q8s-QJs,J8s-JTs,T8s-T9s,98s,78s,76s,65s,54s}, bluffing with A7o-A8o 20-25bb and A2s-A7s with 25bb+, else jam them

Analysis:

Wider calls with 30-40bb speaking of suited broadways, why is that?

Definitely keep reviewing, especially the offsuit broadways and suited cards.

Friday 17.08.2018
    50-30bb BBvsSB/BTN

20bb vs SB BTN CO MP UTG

BBvsSB (mostly 100% call, apart from 20% lower percent if it isnt a minraise. No broadway bluffs)

50bb+: 3b {ATo+,KQo,99+,KJs+,ATs+},

30-40bb: All in all PPs up to 88 <30bb else flat

20bb: AI Range 22-77, suited broadways x9,87s+,J8s,T8s. 3b AJo-AKo,KQs,ATs,AJs,88,99 for value

BBvsBTN

50bb+: 80% flatting if minraise, 3-bet wider (AJo+,KQo,KJs+,ATs+

30-40bb: Widen AI Range (22-99,ATo+,A9s+) from what is (TT+,AQo+,KQs,AJs+) for value

20bb: <20bb jam Ax,KTo,QJo,K2s+,Q8s+,J8s+,T8s+,97s+,87s, all-in with A9o-AJo,KJo,KQo,22-99,QJs,KJs,A2s-ATs

BBvsCO

20bb: <20bb jam Ax,KJo+,A2s-A7s,K5s-Kjs,Q8s+,J8s+,T8s+,97s+,86s+,75s+,65s,call down to x8o broadway (not min)

BBvsMP

20bb: 3j/f20bb+ is AT-AJo.KJo+,QJo,A2s-A9s,K8s+,QTs+,JTs

BBvsUTG

20bb: Flat and jam only higher Axo, jam all Axs, Call most of broadways except for KQs which is jam, all lower PPs shove <20bb,3b/f with lower Axo

Summary: Jam more in BB with suited broadways, 3-bet more against BTN open in BB (I tend to call more with suited hands that flop well)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.