Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Low to Mid Stakes Grinding with McBone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello!

(This first post will be about myself.  The next post will be a quantitative post of my recent results)

I am a 30 year old Texan that has devoted a lot of studying this year to increase my poker skills.  I’m looking for a poker community and was suggested (through Reddit) to join this website!

My father introduced me to the game of poker.  He was a recreational online player during the mid 2000s.  My parents love to gamble.  My parents took me to Vegas when I turned 21 and my Dad and I played NL Pot Limit at the Golden Nugget.  I met a buddy through work who liked to play poker and was couple years younger to me.  None of my friends had a real interest in the game, neither did I.  It wasn’t until a few years ago I decided to sign up for an Ignition Account.  I was a casual player that played mostly cash games and the occasional MTT.  Overall, I’ve been a losing poker player.  However, this year, I decided to get serious about bettering my game.  I also wanted to dedicate time towards SNGs/MTTs versus cash.

I purchased Jonathan Little’s Online Courses from floattheturn.com.  I saw a significant improvement in my skills, knowledge, and foundation for the game from an SNG/MTT perspective.  I’ve probably watched over 30 hours of his content, going over hand histories, talking about spots.  I would watch these videos, take notes, absorb the content, and really take it all in.  I also watch a lot of YouTube poker content.

About a month ago.  I decided to invest in a brand new (but cheap) laptop and execute my go-to-market poker plan.  I bought PokerTracker4, Ignition Card Catcher, and deposited $60 into my Ignition Account.  I’m treating this like my side business with a long term approach.  I have “business” goals, and “poker goals.”

My Go-To Market Strategy:

-grind up my bankroll through low to mid stakes SNG/MTTs

-play an aggressive style of poker with confidence

-understand my leaks and tendencies

-short term goal of $1000 profit

-stay disciplined in my process

I want to stick to low stakes is to keep my tilt and emotions to a minimum.  Once I see a good return, I will gradually increase my stakes.  Ultimately, I want to develop great online habits to start playing live tournaments.

My Poker Goals:

-be more confident post flop

-table presences and clues

-get the courage to play live tournaments

-be a better cash player

-start getting my feet wet with low stakes PLO

SNG results will be the backbone of my poker bankroll.  I will continue to fine tune my game in other areas.

The next step in my journey is to find an online community to discuss my successes and losses.  I’m open to all feedback and hope to share some positive contributions with all of you.  I’ll list my results from the previous three weeks in a following post.  I’ll try and update this thread weekly!

Stallone

stallonemcbone
    Participant

Started my account with $60 bucks.  I’m currently at $510.42

*I was at $850ish… then I decided to play a couple tournaments out of my bankroll.  On the previous Sunday, I lost a $150, $50, & $15 entry MTT tournaments .  I broke my rule of staying disciplined lol.  I was craving the chance.

SNG + MTT Results

Combined SNG + MTT Results

SNG Results

SNG Results

MTT Results

-I feel like I’m being nitty in MTT

-however, I won $465 in a MTT turbo ($10 Buy In).  Placed third.

MTT Results

Cash Results

-still sorting the kinks out for more accurate cash results with ignition.  clearly this hasn’t been profitable for me.  I play .02/05, 6 players.  I mix in PLO every now and then.

Cash Results

rye_mariano5

Hey Stallone welcome to the RYE community! Thanks for joining!

I wouldn’t focus on results too much at this moment as those samples you’ve provided are so tiny. As I’m sure you know poke is such  a long term game. So keep your focus on volume and study.

Make sure to join the discord app as well if you haven’t. It’s a really good place to study and network with other players. Creating a study group can be super fun and beneficial for your game. Try reaching out to other players in the “content-meet-ups” section. And try to post hands and give feedback in the other sections if possible! The more active you are with your study the better!

good luck with your journey and keep us posted..

stallonemcbone
    Participant

I’m going to try and update this every Monday.  I have a lot to talk about today.  Of course, when I post all my stats and results… I go on a downswing :(.

Weekly Results

Obviously some bad decision making is the cause of this, and I will touch on that later.  I decided to stray away from my normal games, and play a handful of $50 Buy-In tournaments.  I played a couple of Turbo MTTs and a 3-4 Hold Em SNGs.  I went back to the lower stakes and continued my losing streak.

One thing that concerns me is that I lose a lot of money from the blinds.  I’m going to try and review some blinds play.  Is it typical to be losing this much from the blinds?

Overall, I was very disappointed in my results this week.  I think everything was poor – bankroll mgmt, discipline, tilt.  I wanted to share with you this hand.  These hands are the ones I marked under the “tilt” category in PT4.

**Not sure the best way to share hand histories… I wrote this out**

Turbo MTT (About 500+ entries) / $50 Buy In

UTG + 1 (50/100)

[AhQs]  I’ve had a very conservative image (11 VPIP / 6 PFR).  I open with a 3bb raise.  I get two callers in MP & LP.  Pot is 1050.

Flop [3d/Jd/9c].  I’m first to act and c-bet 725 into the pot.  MP folds, LP calls.  Pot is 2500.  This was a HUGE mistake.  I have top pair, top kicker.  There’s a couple of draws out there.  I should’ve bet 1-1.5x the pot to end the hand and scoop the pot.  I offered him a good price to see the turn.

Turn [8d].  I remember getting so mad and tilting at that very moment.  So what do i do?  I bet!  Half pot.  The enemy just calls.  The river was a brick, but i doesnt’ matter, because I decided to shove, he calls, I bust out.  Enemy had [Ad4d].

What a f**king DONK move!!  What I’ve learned from this is to be more aggressive in this situation with a textured board.  AND, if I do get a caller, and the turn completes a flush/straight… just let it go.

Hold Em Triple Up SNG / $25 Buy In

UTG + 1 (15/30)

[Kc/Tc]  I had 62.5 BB in my stack.  I bet 3bb.  I get one caller.  SB folds, BB raises 12.5bb.  The pot is at 555.  My immediate reaction is I’m being bluffed right now.  BB has 35.5 bb left.  I had the BB covered and  I decided to fight aggression with aggression and jam.  BB calls.  Enemy has [Ac/Qc]…. f*ck.

How to proceed with the hand when the blinds 3-bet?  Should I respect their 3-bet most of the time?

Should I think what hands will they fold to with a shove?  Which hands will they call with?

Putting too much value in A-x.

Self-explanatory, but true.  I need to study up on this hand and be disciplined enough to not let my tournament fate be decided on this hand.  I busted out out a few times with this hand.  I tried to use these as bluffs in the early stages of my SNGs, but failed tremendously.

My takeaways from this week are to still firm up my discipline and bankroll.  I’m going to solely play $25 SNG Triple Ups.  The remaining 3 cash out equally.  10-minute blind levels.  I’m going to analyze my play and results and keep the tournament the same.  I’m going to stay away from all cash games and MTTs.  The goal of this it to build up my bank roll to play in more $50 SNG Turbos.  I want to be able to have at least 30 Buy Ins (including rake).

I’m going to try and devote more time to studying this week and analyzing my PT4 results.  I’ve actually picked up Dan Harrington’s book for the second time and I’m going to read that in addition to his second volume.

Also any feedback on downswings is appreciated and how to keep the positivity up!

busterchair
    Participant

Hey welcome to the community!

Regarding the hand you can use weaktight.com or any other hand converter, that’s the way we’ve been using it and people are used to it.

Looking forward to new updates =)

pendul7
    Participant

Hey mate, welcome and good luck for your journey!

A small advice if I may about bankroll management. I might have missed something but it seems honestly to me that you are playing far off the limits of your bankroll. To me, playing anything for which you don’t have at the very least 100 buy-ins is pretty much suicidal.

Bankroll management is most certainly a underrated subject yet a key element of any successful poker player.

Hope this helps, cheers!

stallonemcbone
    Participant

Pendul – thanks for the feedback.  I’ve been nursing a $60 deposit into my online account.  I think you are referring to my goal of playing the $50 Buy-Ins.  The problem is, it’s difficult for me to find a $25 Turbo SNG.  I feel like $10 is too low and I don’t take it seriously.  I will definitely re-consider my strategy.  However, i’m pretty set on my Triple Up plan at the moment.

stallonemcbone
    Participant

I’ve been studying the past couple of days.  I even tinkered around with the HUD settings recently.  Wanted to play one casual game just now to see how it works.  So I entered a $25 Triple Up.  I told myself I was going to play very tight.  I begin the SNG on the button.  Don’t get decent cards and I play Zero Hands, go through the blinds, and now I’m…

UTG (15/30)

[AcJc]

I raise 4 bbs.  The pot is at 165.  The next opponent… RAISES to 300!!!  I’m not sure if the stats matter at this point, they probably don’t.  But I’m putting this guy on a pair, maybe 10’s or better.  Did he not notice, I didn’t play an entire hand that orbit?  Actions fold to the button.  The button calls.  Now, I think to myself – should I call, or should I jam.  I’m out of position, I think I can get my opponents to fold, but I don’t want to be up against a premium pair.  I’m not willing to risk my whole stack yet.  I elect to call.  The pot is at 945.

Flop [6cJc9c].  The same exact situation I wrote about a couple days ago!  I have Top Pair, Top Kicker, there’s a flush and straight draw out there.  I’m first to act, and I’m getting AGGRESSIVE!  I shove.  The 3-bettor calls.  The 3-bettor has 1010 behind.  The button folds.

The 3-bettor shoved 1010 into a pot of 1955.  I was a 61% favorite on the flop.

Turn [8h]

River[Kc]

Enemy has [KsQd]  Wow.  He 3-bets me UTG + 1 with KQ offsuit?

I’m unsure what happened:

-did he have the right pot odds to call?  did I make the right play(s)?

-why am I always writing about my bad hands when I’m UTG/UTG+1

stallonemcbone
    Participant

Hey guys – back reporting, would love some feedback.   PT4 has been keeping track of my poker results since 5/17/19.  I posted my first results last month and I was pretty proud.  I thought I figured it out.  Then the downswing happened.

Overall MTT/SNG Results

I’m really frustrated.  I got so frustrated that I ended up working on my cash skills and started playing .25/10 6 Handed cash games more often.  I’ve had more success there turning a 14 bb/100 win rate over 1000 hands.  It has gotten to the point where I firmly believe Ignition is rigged.  I don’t mind if there’s collusion at the table, but the runouts I see against me and other opponents is REAL swingy.  I’m not going to get into that and make excuses (lol), but here are some things I want to discuss.

The beauty of ignition is that I can go hand and see my opponent’s hands.  I’ve made a notes to a lot of hands to remind myself to go back and log their hands which is what I have done.

What spots should I be looking for?

I’ve also managed to do a lot of studying!  Read Jonathan Little’s Excelling at No Limit Hold Em and the Theory of Poker by Sklansky.  About to read four more.

Attachments:
    rye_mariano5

Hey man it seems you’re focusing on and placing your confidence/self assessment on very small samples. 1000 hands in cash is literally nothing, nor is like 300 tourneys. And really don’t bother with the “rigged” talk. I’m not saying this shoot you down. It’s about getting these thoughts completely out of your head.

It’s great you’re doing more studying! As far as spots you should be looking for I would say to focus on the spots where you feel most unsure about. Realistically you’ll want to have other people to study with/look at your game. Have you been posting in discord regularly? If not I would highly suggest doing so. Try to get active on there and then you will start to see what type of leaks you have and then can proceed from there. Asking “what spots should I be looking for?” is too vague.

good luck and keep us updated!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.