Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Just put in the hours

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

first of all, sorry for my english. My name is schmistyle and i am from Germany. I started playing poker during my university time about 15 years ago. I played only with friends in homegames or online.

I have been a very very tight recreational for years. My principle was no deposit for poker at all. I played only freerolls and MTTs/SitnGos for buyins less than 1$. I made little bankrolls on different poker rooms (~ 50$). Unfortunately I never saw the very big option for my life in playing poker. That was the reason to quit poker after I finished my studies. I played online poker only a few days a year for fun.

Now my thinking has changed. My dayjob is ok. The earnings are on average compared to others here. But the problem is, i have no perspective at all. I live in an very expensive area in Germany. I am a father of two boys (1 and 4 years). My boys have to share a room of 10 square metres until they are grown up and in future my wife and I will only be able to pay the rent, food and insurance with the very small pension we can achieve with our jobs. And that with a university degree and a senior job. In my opinion, it can not be a life goal to keep going as usual.

Therefore I have the only option to earn additional money beside my day job. I was thinking a lot about this shit for the last years. I developed a few ideas, but every time the implementation was to expensive or to difficult. Best case would be a job, that you can do online independently of your homebase.

The whole time I was thinking that poker could be this option. On the long run there could be a decent return on invest, if i am following strict bankroll management, improving my game and the invest is very cheap. You can start with 100$ compared to f.e. the cost of renting a warehouse or buying a foodtruck. And the most important thing – it makes a lot of fun.

Ok, i tried it in the beginning of 2018 and made my first deposit – dont laugh ;) – of 50$ on party poker. I backed it up with a few poker books and the content of pokerstrategy.com. The results were not that big. One year later I had built up my bankroll to over 150$ by playing approximately once a week. Nevertheless I had the feeling of still being to thight and working with old learning dossier.

And then this strange day was coming in January 2019. I played online at my friends house and in addition we watched the PSPC at the Bahamas on stream, which Bencb was commentating. At this time i didnt know bencb, twitch and pokerstreams. I had only watched very few videos on youtube. I was wondering why Bencb stopped commentating the stream after a few hours, because he said he had to „record some videos“. I started to watch RYE youtube-videos and the stream of xflixx. What should I say, it changed everything. But i had the feeling the price of the TMC was still to high for my (micro-)level (in fact it was not) and I bought the SitnGo course. Two months later I started with a 1$ feeder at party and finished as final table bubble boy in a 33$ PKO mixmax for 350$. The next week my head forced me to buy the TMC.

Since this day I put every minute of free time in studying this course, training and grinding – but there is not very much free time with two childs and a wife, but I am giving my best. A few hours every day is alway possible. Finally I found something that makes a lot of fun and has a perspective for the future that is worth to put in the hours. My game is improving day by day and I am satisfied with the progress. I strictly follow the principle of macropatience and microspeed. In addition I stopped smoking, try to workout more and eat healty. Bencb is telling too many motivating things. You cant keep sitting on your ass and doing nothing. It would feel to bad. But nonetheless I hate cold showers!

Ok, now the next step is, „come out of your comfort zone“ and get in contact with other players. It is not so easy for me. I feel that my english is limited and that is the reason for not being active in discord. This blog is the first step to change this. And in addition if there are a few german speaking guys, who want to discuss topics of the masterclass or initiate a study group, i would love to join.

I detected my biggest leaks in Shortstack, Postflop and 3bet/flatting. This blog will be mainly focused on this topics.

Let’s start!!!

schmistyle
    Participant

I will add my daily 360° Analysis in this blog.

My first contribution is analysing Pushing / Calling SB vs BB:

Situation:

12,5% Ante – 9 Players

SB 15bb & BB ~30bb

Situation 12,5% ante - 9 Players

What can SB push?

BB = Nash Calling Range (42%)

BB = Nash Calling Range (42%)

SB can push (>0,2ev):

Ax, Kx, Q7o+, J8o+, T8o+, 98o, 22+, 54s, 64s+, 75s+, 85s+, 96s+, T6s+, J5s+ Q2s+ (52,9%)

BB = Calling Range adjusted 35,4% (-6,6% compared to Nash)

calling range bb 35,4%

SB can push (>0,2ev):

Ax, Kx, Q4o+, J7o+, T6o+, 96o+, 86o+, 75o+, 65o, 54o, 22+, 42s+, 52s+, 63s+, 73s+, 83s+, 92s+, T2s+, Q2s+ (71,3%)

–> BB calls 6,6% tighter than Nash suggests = SB can push 18,4% looser

BB = Calling Range adjusted 33,9% (-8,1% compared to Nash)

BB = Calling Range adjusted 33,9% (-8,1% compared to Nash)

SB can push (>0,2ev):

Ax, Kx, Q3o+, J5o+, T6o+, 95o+, 85o+, 75o+, 64o+, 54o+, 22+, every suited Combo (78,3%)

–>BB calls 8,1% tighter than Nash suggests = SB can push 25,4% looser

–>BB calls 33,9% instead of 35,4% = SB can push 7% looser

Conclusion:

I should at least push 53% from SB against loose players from BB with Calling Range of around 40%

Against tight players (34-36% Calling Range from BB) i can push looser 70% to 80% and against players with less than 30% it goes in the direction of pushing any2.

What can BB call?

SB = Nash Pushing Range

bb callt vs sb

With 15bb: BB should call 3 hands less than nash suggests or >=0,8ev:

Ax, K6o+, Q9o+, JTo+, 22+, T9s, J9s+, Q8s+, K3s+ (35,4%)

Later i am going to change the stacksizes and post the results.

spicyp
    Participant

Hi Schmistyle,

First of all. Respect to starting your blog. For most people it is not very easy to open up to others (strangers) and discuss life related topics. I hope that writing will fulfill you in some ways and that it helps you reach goals.

It sounds very tough, that you can barely afford the rent even with an academic degree and both partners working their jobs. But I agree, if you want to better that situation you have to either find a cheaper place to live, or earn more money.

Now, I don’t think poker is the easiest way to earn the extra dollar, because of the huge amounts of work you have to put in to get to the point where the return exceeds a “regular” job. Also the variance makes income inconsistent to some degree.

But I am sure that if you put in the work and improve consistently, then you can reach the highest stakes and also financial independence and success.

I wish you good luck on your journey and I am eager to follow your updates ;)

schmistyle
    Participant

@spicyp: Thanks for your words! I totally agree, poker is not the easiest way but if i dont try i would ask me in future why i didnt tried it. And in addition i like poker so much. It doesnt feel like work – even studying and training.

I was setting a few 10-year-goals and one of these goals is trying poker. If I am a break even player in 10 years, i will take my bankroll and try something else.

And dont get me wrong – we can pay all costs now and we have a good life, but this will change when I am retired. A lot of people in germany will recognize this in 20-30 years but then it is too late for them to change anything.

schmistyle
    Participant

Pushing / Calling SB vs BB:

Same Situation like above but SB has 12bb

What can SB push?

BB = Nash Calling Range (48,5%)

BB calls 48%

SB pushes >0,2ev:

Ax, Kx, Q4o+, J8o+, T8o+, 98o, 87o, 22+, 53s+, 64s+, 74s+, 85s+, 95s+, T5s+, J3s+, Q2s+ (58,4%)

BB = Calling Range adjusted 40,3% (-8,2% compared to Nash)

bb calls 40%

SB pushes >0,2ev:

Ax, Kx, Qx, J4o+, T6o+, 95o+, 85o+, 75o+, 64o+, 53o+, 22+, any suited Combo (81%)

BB calls 8,2% tighter than Nash suggests = SB can push 22,6% looser

BB = Calling Range adjusted 36% (-12,5% compared to Nash)

bb calls 36%

SB pushes >0,2ev:

Any2 Spot

BB calls 12,5% tighter than Nash suggests = SB can push ~40% looser

BB calls 36% instead of 40% = SB can push ~18% looser

Conclusion:

Against loose opponents i can push ~60%

Against tight opponents i can push ~100%

I can push 8-20% looser (depending on the player type) with 12bb compared to 15bb

What can BB call?

SB = Nash Pushing Range

bb calls vs SB

10bb – 15bb against Regs: at least 2 hands tighter than Nash suggests or >=0,8ev

Ax, K4o+, Q8o+, J9o+, 22+, T9s, J8s+, Q5s+, K2s+ (40,6%)

10bb – 15bb against Recs: 3 hands tighter than Nash suggests or >=0,8ev

Ax, K4o+, Q8o+, JTo, 22+, T9s+, J8s+, Q6s+, K2s+ (39,4%)

rye_mariano5

What’s up man! Nice first post there. Glad to see you’re already in discord and ready to get active with study and engagement. Try to post hands on there as much as possible and also give feedback on others’ hands too.

good luck with the journey! Stay patient and keep working hard. That’s all you can control….

schmistyle
    Participant

@mariano: Thank you! I will do so.

schmistyle
    Participant

Pushing / Callin SB vs BB:

Same Situation like above but SB has 9bb

What can SB push?

BB = Nash Calling Range (59,1%)

bb calls 59%

SB pushes >0,19ev:

Ax, Kx, Qx, J5o+, T7o+, 97o+, 87o, 22+, 53s+, 64s+, 74s+, 85s+, 95s+, T3s+, J2s+ (65,6%)

BB = Calling Range adjusted 55,1% (-4% compared to Nash)

bb calls 55%

SB pushes >0,19ev:

Ax, Kx, Qx, J4o+, T6o+, 96o+, 86o+, 76o, 22+, 43s, 53s+, 74s+, 84s+, 93s+, T2s+, J2s+ ( 72,9%)

BB calls 4% tighter than Nash suggests = SB can push 7,3% looser

BB = Calling Range adjusted 49,3% (-9,8% compared to Nash)

bb calls 49%

SB pushes >0,2ev:

Ax, Kx, Qx, Jx, T4o+, 95o+, 85o+, 74o+, 64o+, 54o, 22+, any suited Combo (84,6%)

BB calls 9,8% tighter than Nash suggests = SB can push 19% looser

BB calls 49% instead of 55% = SB can push ~12% looser

Conclusion:

Against loose opponents i can push ~65% (5% looser compared to 12bb)

Against tight opponents (calling Range <50%) i can push ~100%

What can BB call?

SB = Nash Pushing Range

bb calls vs sb

<10bb: stay at Nash or maybe 1 hand less than Nash suggests

Ax, Kx, Q3o+, J7o+, T8o+, 98o, 22+, 87s, 97s+, T6s+, J3s+, Q2s+ ( 55,7%)

spicyp
    Participant

Are these Sit & Go or MTT spots?

Also, do you take ICM thoughts into consideration?

And what are the stakes you are analyzing (there should be different ranges depending which stakes you are playing imo / maybe even population reads)?

schmistyle
    Participant

Hi spicyp,

These are only MTT Spots.

I took no ICM into consideration.

stakes = microstakes <=$5. Is there a big difference between 5$ and 10$?

spicyp
    Participant

I like the analysis. It helps to get an understanding of how these pushing ranges work, and how to use them against a variety of opponents.

Now, do those ranges change when it comes down to bubble play or significant pay jumps?

I tend to see micro stakes regs call these shoves a bit too tight, when they are in the BB. But on the other hand there are more fun players, who don’t think about their hand strength at all. With higher stakes, regulars get to be more range aware and call closer to nash.

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey, nice analysis. I would always assume that population will be overfolding (like you did) in the BB vs jams and be very aggressive with jamming from the SB. Other way around I would assum that people are also not jamming enough tho I would always be calling way tihghter then nash suggests in those spots. thats why it is so important to always play around with ranges so you can see how they interact and only then you can adjust in game to different player types. I personally wouldnt say that there is a big difference between 5 and 10$ tournaments. Maybe there are more regs in the 114.

Nice work! Good luck on the tables.

schmistyle
    Participant

Hi,

thanks @spicyp & @kweezy14 for your feedback. I very appreciate that. I am gonna post the next analysis the next days.

Had a very interesting week. I got a freeroll ticket and managed to get into MILLIONS Online Satellite [Phase 1]: 10 x $10,300 (worth 109$). I am usually playing micros and my postflop skills are not the best. My plan was to late reg the 109$ ticket with ~20bb. Unfortunately i misclicked and didnt use the ticket and payed the buyin by my bankroll. Ok shit happens i said. Dont let come up bad vibrations ;) and it worked. I could make the next step (MILLIONS Online Satellite Sunday Final: 10 x $10,300 Gtd [No Direct Buy Ins]). Unfortunately i pushed the second last hand KQo < A8o (UTG+2 vs. CO) and reached the tourney with less than 1bb ;). I guess it was an ICM mistake. But i am not sure. I am not experienced in calculating ICM Spot of Sats. I dont know what to put in HRC. Here is the Spot:

preflop

postflop

A few days later I used the “real” ticket but couldnt reach lvl 27 and busted in lvl 20 or 21. In the end it was a very funny experience and gave me the feeling that all in all my shortstack game is not bad anymore. It was very interesting to see the calling and pushing range on a 109$ Sat compared to my micro opponents.

Last friday i managed to turn a freeroll ticket into a 5$ ticket. I used it the same day and finished 3rd for ~175$ (88 < AKs):

5$

Very painful, but I guess it was the right move:

situation

normal

Adjusted Calling Range:

adjusted

It is close. I didnt expect that. But it is +EV and the perspective of getting a better hand is not that big. I would take any Hand >0,2EV. But the other player has the half of my stack only. hmm, i have to start the ICM chapter of TCM soon.

All in all it was a very good week, my bankroll is still growing – despite the misclick i mentioned above. I recognised playing a good shortstack game is one of the keys. The shortstack chapter help my thight ass a lot to make better decisions and i can see it on my stats too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.