Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs Getting out of 6-max Hyper Microstakes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@rye_mariano5 Thanks for the tips, I will try that.

@bencb Regarding my bankroll management: My current bankroll is 4.0k, and I just moved up to the 15$ 6 max hypers after playing 7$ 6 max hypers. I used to play too conservative (500-1k buy ins for 6 max hypers ).

rye_tomy
    Participant

More than enough big roll to play at 15’s! Glad to hear you moved up and glgl!!

patme85
    Participant

Hey tommie_to,

nice blog an congrats for moving up and improving your game!

You´re grinding sng´s every day? and how much time can you afford for poker on a daily?

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey patme85,

I wish I could grind every day haha! I do play some almost everyday, but most of those sessions are relatively short (2 hours max). Because I am in university, there are also weeks where I barely or don’t play, so it is different every day. But on average I make time for myself to play 1.5 hours a day and study poker an hour a day.

With kind regards,

Tom “tommie_to”

i_dare_u
    Participant

Hey tommie_to ! Thank you for checking my poker blog mate ! Seems like you’re doing really well in Low Hyper SNGs ! I’m definitely not an expert in SNGs, and in Hypers, (well I’m not an expert at anything tbh )  but i will gladly follow your blog and your way up to higher limits ! I’m really impressed by your organisation and you’re self-awareness being only 18 years old ! I should take a leaf out of your book ! I’ll happily check your updates and try to make my contribution to the building as often as possible ! GL in your journey in poker as well as in your studies  !

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing" Socrates

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey there! Nice to have you here @i_dare_u

A quick update:

So far this year I have been having good results. For the last 2 weeks I have been playing 6-10 tables stacked instead of 4-6 tables tiling, and although I really enjoy it, I think I might miss out on some reads. My EV is lower than usual. I know this does not say much over a low sample, but I think I will 4-6 table tile again for the next period of time to see if the EV improves.

Did not get in much volume in January because of holiday and exams, so that is why the volume is relatively low. I got in a decent chunk this week though .

This graph contains both 7$ hypers and 15$ hypers. Lifetime I am up 100+ BI at the 7’s and 65+ BI at the 15’s, so it seems like I have established myself at the 15’s. Current bankroll is 4670$. When I have about 6k-6.5k, I will start thinking about taking shots at the 30’s. My EV at the 15’s is not that good though (around +1%), so I will probably spend more time than usual reviewing my hands and taking notes in game.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

the_koorn
    Participant

Having the results creep in too your mind is definitely something I can relate to. But everyday you work on your game will give you more confidence in your ability to make +EV decisions. And the more confident you are in your game (without getting overconfident of course), the less important short term results become. You got to really make peace with variance. But that’s not too hard if you just remember that variance is what lets you profit: it is what keeps recreational players or worse regs in the game! And if you keep a sensible BR for your games, the small up and downs really don’t matter.

And remember: If you just get a little better every day, you will be a lot better after not too long!

Hope too see you soon at the tables:-) (still grinding 3,5$ tables though)

rye_tomy
    Participant

Cool graph! Always nice to run good :) I would just establish myself at 15’s before taking shots at 30’s, even tho you may reach 6k br soon.

GL at the tables!

the_koorn
    Participant

I’m coming for you in the SNG Coach 6max Hyper leaderboard:-) Just two places ahead of me now^^ Only going to do a few more days of full time training there though since I really need to put in a lot more time into the rest of my game. Not too much players around at 3,50$ I could even consider playing Nash against. In your experience, how much does that change when going up the limits?

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey @the_koorn ! Good job at the SNG Coach leaderboards! Solid nash shoving and calling ranges will get you very far and  I am quite sure you will be playing profitable when using these at the 7’s as well. However, you will leave too much value on the table and your ROI will be quite low then, which will result in even bigger swings than you can expect in hypers.

In my experience, there are only a few players you can actually call nash against at the 7’s and 15’s, because most players simply do not shove wide enough. The main difference between the 7’s and the 15’s is that the winning regs and decent players be just a bit better (shoving closer to nash, better openraise strategies), but the weaker players will stay as weak as in the 3,50’s. Just be sure to make notes about who you see shove (close to) nash and who you see call (close to) nash.

Also be sure to know your nash ranges, but it is also important (if not more important) to adapt to opponents and to use solid limping strategies and open raise strategies. If you have not already, I strongly recommend buying the hyper course. Before buying the course, I used to 18 table 1.50’s with a decent ROI playing just nash (also calling of nash, which is a huge mistake against fish!), but without all the leaks I had back then, I think my expected ROI would have be twice as high.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

the_koorn
    Participant

thx for the long answer, very interesting stuff. Often when doing hand reviews I put in a few different ranges for villains just to get a feeling for how my ranges would change against different players. And yeah I do have the full hyper course, not very far into it though. Not doing more than one vid a week and then try to put the stuff into use. Takes some time to get all the details right. Didn’t have a limping strategy at all before (and so much more ofc^^).

give me some months and we might see each other:-)

good luck

mythicalbeast
    Participant

You should start using pokerdope’s tournament variance calculator (http://pokerdope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/)

Insert your current data figures in there and you can discover a lot, such as how accurate your current ROI is, how large can your biggest downswings be and so forth. I’ve been using this site quite a bit now. It can help you build a stronger BRM structure and you’ll also understand variance better. You can also enter your average daily #SnG’s and find out your probability of loss, standard deviation…

I wouldn’t personally raise stakes until I had 5+ % ROI over at least 5k sample size.  In the $30, people are playing very good already and your ROI will drop a few percentages for sure. I think taking your time before the $30s is a good idea. Having 5k+ sample size of $15s is very useful for both your ROI accuracy, your skill and your confidence. Right now looking at your latest stats, you would be a very slightly winning player in the $30s or a losing player and with $30 buy-ins, the downswings can be very nasty. Even if you are on 5% ROI on that buy-in, $1,000 downswings can easily occur.

I think your progress has been super great and $15s buy-ins are quite large already. I’d recommend you to focus on $15 buy-ins right now, build around 10k sample size, study more, especially the bubble, people can make very large -$EV mistakes there. I hope you have folded JJ a couple of times already 3 ways with 10bb in a spot where your opponent is shoving any 2 and AK a lot of the times. Also, try adding some more tables as well, if you are feeling comfortable. I think that 6-8 tables shouldn’t really be an issue in the future as most spots you have been in before and you don’t need to overthink these spots.

Good luck for the future!

rye_tomy
    Participant

Any update? How is turbo sngs going?

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey guys, sorry for not updating, but nothing significant happened really. Did not have much time to play. I have just played 200ish 15$ turbos over the past few weeks with a roi of 12%, but that really does not say much. I also got in some hyper turbos (both 7’s and 15’s), but results are breakevenish. Also mixed in 2 days of MTT’s but nothing worth mentioning there.

I am on my biggest downswing so far in $’s, but when looking at amount of buy ins it is nothing special. My peak bankroll was 5500$, but now it is 4900$.  At least I am pretty happy that ‘losing’ the money does not feel that bad. I would have expected it to feel worse, so I am quite happy with that.

For the next weeks I will try to get in at least 800 more 15$ turbos while 6 tabling. My side goal is to not look at results during the session (which I have been succeeding in lately) and if I can resist, I might not wanna look at it a few sessions in a row.

I will update again when I have played 1k 15$ turbos in total.

With kind regards,

Tom “tommie_to”

bencb
    Keymaster

Yeah I would also advice to stay on 7s until you have reached 5k games. Variance is brutal, in BOTH directions, in hyper 6max. 100-200 buy in downswings are easily possible. Believe me, Mariano and I know what we are talking about ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.