Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs Getting out of 6-max Hyper Microstakes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys!

A quick update:

I am currently experiencing my first runbad at the 7$ hypers, which is pretty rough. I feel like I am playing well though, and my EV line is very good. So just gotta focus on that and grind out a higher sample. Before this runbad, I took a small shot at the 15’s. I ended winning 5 BI over 50 games. It does not mean much, but still nice to start of winning at the 15’s.

But for the nearby future I wanna get in a higher sample (5k at least) at the 7’s, because I am not ready for these swings at the 15’s yet.  Maybe I wanna have a bigger bankroll before moving up too. My current bankroll is $2780.

I will keep you updated and I might even add some spots in this forum for review.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_mariano5

Solid graph!  Those swings are def tiny in comparison to what can happen, so keep grinding and you will get accustomed to them pretty fast.

good luck!

rye_tomy
    Participant

Nice graph yes. Just don’t forget and post here also your homework i gave you.

Gl at the tables!

sozick123
    Participant

Good graph Tommie. Keep up the good work

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey guys!

First of all, thanks for all the responses!  I really appreciate them!

Currently I still 4-table $7’s, but I am looking to start adding a table step by step in the future. I took my first shot at the $15’s, winning close to 4 buy-ins over a 60 game sample. Always nice to start of winning when taking shots . Not moving to those limits yet though, because I think I cannot handle the swings mentally (yet), despite my $2940 bankroll.  I will also start adding more hands for review in the nearby future.

I have difficulties with this spot. Maybe you can give your thoughts about it!

According to nash, the EV is -0.01. However, I often find people shoving wider than nash with 2.5BB, For example, in this spot you have to fold K2o-K5o and J7o en J8o, which I also might not fold there probably. Adding these hands to the range makes calling +0.09. So should I call in this spot?

Why I would call here:

• The opponent might shove wider than Nash, which makes a call +EV
    • Winning a few big blinds in this spot gives me a decent position at the table, and I can use that stack to put pressure on the big stack that is directly on my left in SB vs BB situations.

Why I would not call here:

• Loosing 2 more big blinds in this spot leaves me behind with 6 big binds, even less if the blinds move up next hand (so I almost loose fold equity)
    • +0.09 might still be too marginal in this spot to call, considering the risk of loosing 2 big blinds.

In game I ended up folding, but now I think I would call in this spot.

What would you do? Looking forward to receiving your answers.

With kind regards,

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_tomy
    Participant

I think here is the spot we dont want calling his allin. Rather we re-jam or fold, expect we can call with some monsters (QQ-AA). I would fold this hand, because we have 8bb and all orbit before we hit bb so i think better spots will show up.

For sure try and add some tables and i also think you can move up to 15’s. But like you said if you dont feel comftable just stay at 7’s, add tables and over time start playing 15’s. Good work!

Gl at the tables!

tommie_to
    Participant

My bad! With calling I actually meant shoving. Is it okay to also shove QQ – AA there, even against passive fish? Some cards might kill the action postflop.

rye_mariano5

With QQ-AA against passive fish we want to keep them in so it’s better to just call. We want them to get a good price pre and catch something post. Action killing flops don’t play a factor because if they have a relatively strong hand pre they’re just going to shove over your call anyways.

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey, time for a quick update!

Played close to 3k 7$ hypers now. ROI of 2.6%, but EV is higher, so cannot complain. Had my first successful shot at the 15’s this week, and I am up 20BI lifetime in those now (after being down 20 BI in shots). This is just over 400 games though. Bankroll grew a bit, it is 3620$ now.

So I will be 6 tabling 15’s for the nearby future, unless I loose 40 BI. Then I move down to 7’s again. I might also add some 7’s if not enough 15’s are running.

I am starting to care about the money less, which seems like a good thing in my case (I used to have bankroll management that is way too conservative). I think this is because I have experienced my biggest downswings so far moneywise over the past two months and I know better what to expect than before.

When looking back at my initial goals, I think I succeeded in all of them. I established myself at the 7’s, I am happy about how much I have learned over the past few months, and I finally found my sweet spot for now playing 6 tables simultaneously.  So time to set some new goals now:

• Establishing myself at the 15’s (which in my case means playing 15’s till I lost 40BI, getting to know regs at the limits)
    • Spending more time studying mainly limping strats and postflop plays (I will post some in the STT chat in Discord I hope)

No volume goal this time, because I am not sure how much time I will have in the nearby future. But I will be sure to play when I do have time.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_mariano5

Good luck in February buddy!

mahlzahn
    Participant

Hey man, nice blog and solid development you show here so far. I will keep following here :)

And good luck!

bencb
    Keymaster

congrats to your great results and good luck for February !

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey guys, thanks for the support!

This week I have a rare holiday in which I can play poker all week. However, I keep running into the same mental issue, which has to do with variance and is has been a long term problem unfortunately.

I struggle with variance such in a way that I keep looking at my graphs and total profit besides focusing at my decisions. It does not influence my play, I do not tilt when running bad, I do not start making weird plays when running good, I am not scared of the money I play with, etc…. . However, I sometimes end up quitting sessions quite early after winning or loosing because of my bankroll balance. I know it does not make sense to quit sessions early when still playing your A game, because the actual bankroll number you cannot influence and as long as you keep playing well it is profitable. But it just happens and it sucks.

The main consequences of it I experience are:

• Not getting in the volume I initially wanted
    • Moving down limits, even after a winning session at the higher limits (I know this seems quite strange!), which makes me play too conservative (which seems like a kind of time wasting).
    • Spending too much time studying and reviewing, which is not that bad, but I do it a lot already and I should just get in more volume….

How I tried to solve this already (which does not seem to work):

• Trying to not look at graphs/results
    • Telling myself I should just keep grinding and focusing on the decisions
    • Telling myself that it is part of poker
    • Telling myself I should not be a pussy 

I know there is no magic pill to fix this, but I do not really seem to be able to fix it. Even more, for the last 2 months I have been having the biggest upswing in my life (both EV and $ wise), doubling my bankroll, but I seem to have issues with this now more than ever…

It is something I really wanna fix and which I really should fix, I just do not know how. Do you have any tips for me?

With kind regards,

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_mariano5

Yes this is a tough thing to overcome. I think the best thing to do is to not look at results throughout the weeks or month. don’t look at your bankroll during your sessions either! Just really focus on the volume aspect. Set realistic goals, and make sure you’re getting enough sleep and exercise to maintain focus throughout.

good luck!

bencb
    Keymaster

Seems like your bankroll management is quite poor and the money affects you more than it should. What BRM are you following?
    You should probably move down and play more conservative.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.