Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs Getting out of 6-max Hyper Microstakes

Viewing 12 posts - 136 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Siiick month! Congratz man! 👍 Nice to hear that you will start mixing up turbo sngs. You will see how it goes, but at the beginnings be carefull not too play too many tables like you said (more than 6-7) plus now even mixing hypers and turbos together. Quickly might be overwhelming. Just from my experiance. Anyway gl and im curious what you will say about turbo sngs :)

sir_djun
    Participant

Lekker bezig Tomm!

Ga volgende week ook weer 4 wkn volledige focus op poker! Je coaching en blog zijn een voorbeeld en inspiratie voor velen denk ik. Ga zeker zo door!

Ik zal ook doelen opstellen voor de komende maand en aan het einde hierop terug kijken.

Education is important, but riding a motorcycle is importanter

rye_tomy
    Participant

@sir_djun: only English please that everybody can understand

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey, time for a quick update. I finished my volume goal, but it took a bit longer than expected since I had fewer days to play than planned. I played way more consistently though which I really liked, push/fold spots reviewing worked, reviewed more postflop hands than before. However, I did not watch the RYE I was planning to watch, I improved at not looking at results, but I still looked once every few days and I had one MTT session.

Although I failed a few goals, I am still super happy about how I have been improving. For the next month, I want to push my volume for a bit on the one hand, but on the other hand, I will be really busy with studies and holidays after that and so on. So I won’t set a volume goal for the next period of time, but I will try to push for some good volume anyways. Gl at the tables and I’ll see you around!

lanestars
    Participant

Omg tommie you are so great!!! i wish i was you! Great blog, keep up the good work!

Attachments:
    tommie_to
    Participant

Hey! Since I am back from my holidays, I will have some time for poker again. I played during a few evenings when on holiday, but since I was not allowed to play in all countries I visited due to legislation in some countries and since I wanted to spend time with family and friends as well, I did not play that much. Even when I played, I mixed in some MTTs, turbo STTs, and so on. Despite the low amount of playing, the number of study hours was okay and I have definitely been improving a lot during the holidays.

Over the coming few weeks, I will be able to play more consistently. I have been starting to build a sample on 30s. Although the sample is not large enough yet to draw conclusions, there is a tendency that I am beating these games. My results are okayish, my EV in $ is okayish and the BB/100 in those as well, but I am definitely not crushing yet and some regs definitely have an edge over me. That being said, I have improved a few things strategically this holiday I think, so I am looking forward to getting a bigger sample of results. Even more, I might actually want to start taking shots at the 60s soon, since my results almost allow me to, my bankroll allows me to and it might be the most efficient way up in stakes, even if it is just for the learning experience. Also, games in the 30s run so rarely, that it would take like 2 years to get the sample of games I would actually want to be 100% sure about having an edge based on results.

However, I am struggling with this mental game issue where I am afraid of the potential downswings that can happen when moving up stakes; I had it before and it gets worse and worse since the amount at stake gets higher. When in-game, it is not an issue: I feel like I play my A-game, no matter the stakes. However, it sometimes discourages me from getting in more volume at higher stakes or discourages me from moving up. Since this problem will probably get worse and worse over time if I don’t tackle it, this is something I am gonna be focusing on, since I need to get over it in order to be able to move up to the highest stakes long term, which I want real bad.

I’ll set up a volume goal and study goals for the next 3 weeks:
    -1 hour on an average of studying a day, mainly before playing a session
    -Running scripts and such overnight when sleeping to maximize study efficiency
    -1500 games. (I am gonna decrease volume a bit to focus on implementing new strategies I learnt during the holiday, to be able to deal better with the mental game issue, and so on).
    -No trips to other formats
    -Mixing in 60s when confidence levels are solid

See you around!
    Tom “tommie_to”

sir_djun
    Participant

Welcome back my young padawan. Good goals I think. Downswings are part of the game, but we are all very confident that you can do it and will go back down in stakes when needed. HF!

Education is important, but riding a motorcycle is importanter

rye_tomy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I also have same problems. For me was best that i didnt look what stake it is particular sng, when i was mixing stakes or try to move up. If you have enough br then just dont limit yourself with like 20bi downer, because you know that nobody can get away from that.</p>
    To build up your confidance, you can say into mirror like im the best reg on this stake and i will crush everybody! And then start playing 😁

Anyway gl at 60s and keep us updated! 😉

tommie_to
    Participant

Hi! A quick update:

Over the past few weeks, I have been getting in a bunch of 60s. The sample is still insignificant, especially since games are running rarely, but I felt comfortable at most times playing in the games. Playing them still drained a lot of energy though, but I think this should get better over time.

I succeeded in almost all goal, expect of the trips to another format one. I played a tiny bit of cash games and a few MTTs. However, it did not bother my 6 max hyper growth too much I feel like, so it could be worse.

For the next period of time though, my main focus will be on my university studies (which started a few weeks ago), and because that is draining energy as well, I don’t want to combine it with grinding 60s for now. So for the next few weeks, I will stick to grinding 15s and 30s hypers only. I will have exams in a few weeks though, so in the next period of 4 weeks, there will be 1.5 weeks of no poker probably.

For the next 1.5 months, I will set the following goals:
    -Get in a bare minimum of at least 3k games (preferably more)
    -Doing a 15-30 minute warming up routine before the start of my session
    -Studying 5 hours on topics I am working on.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_tomy
    Participant

Yes better to not bother with 60’s and variance while studying hard for university. GL with exams! :D

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey Man, Just read last page of your blog and just read this: “I am afraid of the potential downswings that can happen when moving up stakes” […] “, it sometimes discourages me from getting in more volume at higher stakes or discourages me from moving up”  and suddenly I noticed that I have the same  mental issue. I wasnt even really aware of it but now I read it in your blog, it is undeniable there! Would you mind sharing what you do to fight it? Do you set yourself volume goals on higher stakes or what do you think helps?

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing this, only  because of it I realised that I have this mental leak and you helped me a lot!

Weezy

tommie_to
    Participant

Hi Weezy! I haven’t really solved it for myself (yet). Not looking at the bankroll during grinding helps as well, but this I have already been doing for a long time. Volume goals at higher stake are kinda tough since if you take shots and you hit a downswing, you might wanna and probably should move down earlier than reaching the volume goal. I will try this thing for the next period of time though:

Creating a kind of “Shot-taking” bankroll. I still have to figure out how I want to construct this bankroll, but it would basically be a bankroll besides my actual bankroll that is 100% for shot-taking for soft games. What I have been thinking of, is letting this bankroll grow with 1/4th of my expected profit per game, build a shot bankroll of let’s say 20 BIs of the higher limit this way, wait for confidence levels to be high enough and to not be in a downswing, and then keep on shot taking until I busted the shot taking bankroll. At a given point, the shots will be successful if I am a winning player and I can do something similar for limits higher than this limit. Also, since the shot bankroll is just 25% of winnings, I will still be up 75% of the profit on average after the shot taking, so my bankroll still grows even if you lose your shots. If 25% turns out to be too passive, I might go for 50%, 67%, 75% for example. I am going to experiment with this :)

Thanks for reading my blog and good luck at the tables.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

Viewing 12 posts - 136 through 147 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.