Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs Getting out of 6-max Hyper Microstakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys!

I am an 18-year-old Dutch student that grinded out a bankroll of 1.8k from scratch. Lifetime I am up more, but I cashed out some of it to invest in software and in improving my game. For example, I have an ICMIZER subscription and I also invested in the full 6 max hyper course on this site.

Poker background

I started playing on 888 poker 2 years ago, grinding out a roll playing 1$ Sit n go’s. After having some rungood in these and in some MTT’s, I was able to start playing more and bigger field MTT’s. I also increased the numbers of tables I played at the same time to 6. My results at the 1-3$ tournaments were decent, however, things didn’t seem to work on the 5$+ tournaments.

Traffic on 888 poker is not always great, so I decided to move a part of my roll to Pokerstars in order to clear (a part of) the $600 first deposit bonus playing 6-max hypers on Stars. I was able to up my volume to playing 18 tables simultaneously and to still grind out a 4% ROI at the $1.50. When I first tried to move up to the $3.50’s, I had a 35 buy in instant downswing in like 75 games….. Dropped back to the $1.50’s, won that back, tried some other shots and now I am up close to 80 buy ins over 1500 games in the $3.50 (with the first downswing included). My ROI in this stake is 5.5% so far, playing 8 tables simultaneously.

A few weeks ago, I invested in the 6-max Hyper course on this site. While studying and removing leaks, I try to move up the $7 limits. I have played just 200 of them so far, but at least I am 18 buy-ins up so far and I feel like I have an edge.

Things I have difficulties with and want to improve

There are a few things that I really want to improve in order to become a successful poker player.

Playing too conservative

Although this might seem like a good trait for poker players, I feel like this holds me back in my progression. Instead of moving up limits, I have played 8k $1.50 hypers playing overrolled (like more than 1k buy ins). This is too conservative in my opinion. However, when taking shots at higher limits, I feel terribly uncomfortable. It might not affect my game directly, but I don’t enjoy playing that uncomfortably. For the past few weeks I have been trying too improve this by playing the $7 hypers. This goes fine so far, but when the downswings strikes, I will have difficulties with this (more than the average person probably.

Playing too money oriented

Although I do not tilt after loosing money in a session, it still affects the profit I make. After watching bad results I can’t influence short term, I don’t tilt. Instead of that, I quit my session. This prevents me from tilting, but also costs me money due too playing a lower amount of hours.

Not playing an ideal amount of tables

When playing the $1.50’s, I was able to play 18 tables profitable playing Nash. However, I missed a lot of value because I did not exploit my opponents enough. I am improving that at the moment with the things I learn from the six max hyper guide. If I play 18 tables, I am not playing my A game. Chances are I will barely make profit playing $7 hypers like that. Now I just play 4 tables at the $7 playing my A-game, but I feel like I miss out on volume…. It is difficult to find a sweet spot. I am also not sure if I should tile or stack the tables (even though  I know the advantages and disadvantages on both….).

Goals for the nearby future

I won’t be able to play on a consistent base (due too university stuff), so setting volume goals is quite difficult.  I still came up with the next goals:

• Establishing myself at the 7$ hypers (Includes moving down in stakes when feeling uncomfortable or loosing to much, increasing volume over time to 8-10 tables.
    • Improving my game on the table (By exploiting player tendencies, making notes on opponents, tagging spots I am uncomfortable in)
    • Improving my game away from the table (by reviewing hands I tagged during gameplay in ICMIZER, spending time in the 6-max hyper course, searching for common opponents on sharkscope)

I feel like focusing on these goals will make me feel more comfortable at higher stakes and  that they solve a part of my difficulties over time.

Thanks for reading this! I will keep you up to date with how things are going over the next months.  Tips for improving and reaching my goals are appreciated.

With kind regards,

Tom ‘tommie_to’

tommie_to
    Participant

My goal(s) for the next month

My goal for the next month is to play a 1000 $7 6-max hypers while 4-tabling. My current bankroll is $1892 . Beside I will try to not look at my results for this 1000 hypers and to really focus on making the optimal decisions, focusing on exploiting other players inaccuracies.

I will be doing research on sharkscope on all players I play against, I will make notes (mainly about their shoving and calling ranges compared to nash) and I will also tag situations which I do not feel comfortable in (mainly ICM spots) and review them afterwards or before the next session.

How I proceed afterwards, depends on my results:

• If I loose more than 350$, I will drop down to the 3.50’s$ and both make back the money I lost  and get my confidence back.
    • If my results are between -350$ and -150$,  I will play more $7 dollar tournaments while keeping track of my results.
    • If my results are between -150$ and 210$, I will play another 1000 tournaments while not looking at my results.
    • If I win more than 210$ over the 1000 tournament sample, I will play another 1000 tournaments, 5-tabling instead of 4-tabling.

My confidence after these 1000 games also influences my decisions on proceeding. However, I am pretty confident in my play at the moment and while 4-tabling, I can really focus on making my best decisions.

Looking forward to sharing my results to you after playing the 1000 sit n go’s!

With kind regards,

Tom ‘tommie_to’

tommie_to
    Participant

So I had a rough session today. I watched at results and it turns out I lost like 25 buy-ins at the $7 dollar level in 60 games. So I will move back to the $3.50 and start winning this back before taking another shot.

With kind regards,

Tom ‘tommie_to’

rye_mariano5

What’s up Tom! Welcome to the RYE community. You’ve come to the right place to learn for sure, and regarding hyper SNGs the content available is priceless. Make sure you join the discord app also. There’s an SNG section in there where I would advise you post as many tough spots as possible to get feedback.

Regarding the nitty BRM, I personally like that approach. Of course you don’t want to be too conservative, but for long term growth I think it’s the way to go as you don’t have to deal with big swings, and the stress that goes along with them, and you can put in lots of volume while ensuring you’re learning at a good pace before moving up. It’s easy to waste a ton of time moving up and down stakes repeatedly and ending up in the same place 2-3 years down the road because you kept blowing your profits in bigger games. The slow road is the smart road IMO.

Good luck with the monthly goals also. I wouldn’t worry too much about the results as 1000 games at the hypers is such a tiny sample. Hopefully you crush obv, but if you have a rough stretch, just focus on playing well and studying. It seems like you have that mentality anyways which is great.

take care!

aceftriver
    Participant

Hey Tom,

sounds great! Definitely in here!!

Can you share your 8k 1,50$ Hyper Graph with me? Im there atm and would like to have some1 to talk about some things also.

Good Luck in establishing at the 7$!!

Greetings

tommie_to
    Participant

@aceftriver No problem! Just message me on Discord and we can talk about it.

aceftriver
    Participant

cool! whats your name @ discord? – found already. 

choyeah
    Participant

hey Tom, glad that you moved up limits we were playing a bit on the 1.5$ hypers(my nickname is choyeah) I just noticed that you are member here. Hope that you can start crushing 7$ soon. Not sure if setting such goals for big volumes is not a bit of a risk since it puts a lot of pressure when taking shots at higher stakes. My approach would be to play my normal limit and then when I feel that I have my A game will open tables from the next level (and ofc when I have the bankroll) to take a shot without any goals to play x amount of tournaments. But that`s my point of view at the moment maybe you feel better when you set exact goal and this is pushing you forward.

Good luck!

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey @choyeah, thanks for the response! I started out winning 20 buy-ins at the 7$, but I ended up loosing this profit. Although I am still breakeven on the 7’s lifetime, I actually moved down to the $3.50’s again. Just do not feel comfortable with the swings at the 7’s.

So for the next months I will try to grind out a decent sample of $3.50’s. So far, I am up 100 BI’s after playing 2.5k of these. 2,5k games is such a low sample and does not say much about my level of skill. So I will try to play a decent sample of these over the next months and I will move up when my bankroll is bigger and when I feel more comfortable in my skills.

With kind regards,

Tom ‘Tommie_to”

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey there!

So over the past few weeks,  I have been taking some shots at the $7 hypers. One of them worked out, and currently I am up 25 BI after 500 games (lifetime stats). My EV line is even twice as high. A low sample of course, but still nice. Very happy with how I play and due to studying and reviewing, I am also getting more confidence in my game.

On top of that, I played a session of MTT’s. Had a few big runs and a decent 260$ score in a $4.40 PSKO. Adding this all up, my current bankroll is 2.3k.  Very happy with that.

Really like playing the $7’s hypers. However, there are some decent other players playing on there too playing a lot of tables. So at some times during the day, the hypers are filled with at least 4 players that I consider good players. Is it still worth playing when you have 1 fish on the table? I am aware of the big impact that playing with winning players has on your ROI….

For the next month, I wanna get in more volume at the 7’s while playing my absolute A game. On top of that, I might add in some more MTT sessions in the weekends.

With kind regards,

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_tomy
    Participant

Hey Tom! Nice to hear that you are climbing the ladder. 2.3k roll is more than enough for 7’s, if you feel ready play just 7’s and dont worry about 30bi swings. They happen to me almost every day when i was playing hypers! So very very normal. If you see 4 regs already registerd i would recomend you to skip that one, no need to play with only one fish at 7’s. Just make sure you properly mark them, because if there is one or two bad regs in the mix (and on 7’s they are believe me) i would register anyway.

Just dont look on short term results, focus on playing your A game, study and you are good to go 

Gl at the tables and keep us updated!

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey guys!

Over the past month, I have been grinding out some more MTT’s and some more $7 hypers. I have one $300-ish score in MTT’s but also had something like 200$ in buy ins, so nothing too special there.

In the hypers however, I had some nice rungood. Lifetime, I am up 65 buy-ins over 1250 games (= 5.1% ROI). This does not mean much because of the low sample, but still very nice. My current bankroll is 2670$. When I reach 3000$, I will try to take some very small shots at the $15 ones of like 5 buy-ins.

See you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

rye_mariano5

Nice work man! I like the idea of taking shots at $15s when you get to $3000. I would recommend trying to grind them anytime you’re above 3000 and if you drop below just go back to $7s. If you hit a good run in the 15s you could likely stick there and be able be able to grind them out for a while and hopefully keep moving up.

good luck!

tommie_to
    Participant

@rye_mariano5 Thanks for the recommendation. I will try that for sure!

rye_tomy
    Participant

Hey. 1.2k is very very small sample and you have very little experiance playing on 7s right? I would really not recommend you to jump into 15s, first make sample on 7s like 5k games, then you will see how you stand and go from there. Im just not that type of a guy who would jump higher for 5 buyins to see how it goes. Because first of all you may play a little bit scared, and second you will involve emotions on every single 15$ sng. After few shots you may have then mental block to play them…. just my two cents ☺

And also here is not about br ( because you have enough money to start to play only 15s) but about skill level. If you feel comftable about 15s ok then you can take shots. Its up to you i just like to crush one limit with decent sample first and then play higher with knowing that i have enough skills to prob beat that too.

Anyway gl at the tables!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.