Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs From home office doing business and poker

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, my name is Roy and I am from Norway. 43 years old, family man.

Life took a bit unexpected turn about a month ago when the head office decided to shut down the company I have worked for in 6 years. Recently as General Manager and Senior engineer with 90-100K salary.

I have played poker for a long time, and I have periods where I have taken it more seriously. I have actually done 6 max hyper training with Ben, Mariano was also in that group at the time. But I have always had lots of work and familly life distracting me. So in the end doing like 300 Hours on work and poker is hard. And I think learning when you are tired is not a good thing. But I still learned alot.

I think my biggest fault when it comes to poker training is that I sometime have a hard time relating the poker language and fully understand it. Maybe it is because I have never been 110% there when I am studying the theory.

I bought the masterclass a while back and wanted to start. But I said to myself that I am waiting until I get more time and can focus.  I have now decided to start, because now I have time. And I don`t need to think about my job all the time. I still have 3 months left. But I am just there to get my 3 months pay. And I have an home office now. And the tasks I have can eaasily be done quickly.

Regarding the future. I don`t stress with getting a new job. I have full unemployed benefits for 12 months. + I have a income insurance for 12 months. So in total this will give me about 4000 USD paid per month. But offcourse I do apply for interesting jobs. So we will see what happens in that area later on.  I am also looking at the possibillity to work for myself from home, providing my services. And offcourse if I am able to get a income through poker.

Poker:

Go through the content, take notes 1-2 hours every day.
    Make goals based on the topic I am learning from. Look through my database and find situations that I can compare the study with. Both where I did good and more where I failed.
    Create a grinding plan
    Review the grinding sessions and marked hands. Compare them with the goals I set.
    Keep an organized list of all buy ins etc,
    Cold shower before grinding ( I`ll test if that wakes me up and gives me an energy boost)
    Set goals for what I want to do with poker both live and online.
    +++++

Personal life:

Start diet to loose weight
    Start training to loose weight and get more energy.
    Get good routines for scheduling what my week should look like. Both sleep, familly, poker, job etc.

I have attached all MTTs I have played in 2019. I have been playing randomly throughout the year and I have played 257 MTTs before November. I started now last friday and did about 21 hours of poker during the weekend. So the list for November is included. If reviewing everything I should continue with Bountys. So I may need to buy the Bounty training after I have done the mastercourse :)

I`ll try to update this blog as often as I can. But no promises as I am not much of a blogger.

Cheers

Attachments:
    charlie_runkle
    Participant

update:

After a bit stressfull day and being tired after a long session last night I took a 30 min nap in the afternoon. And then a shower where I ended it with cold water on my head for 1 min. I actually felt quite fresh afterwards.

Went through some situations I had yesterday for 15 min. And started some tables.

This is the results today. Got 20th on Big 109 18K and 161 in 109 Bounty Builder. A bit dissapointed with the big 109 as I did a big mistake from SB. instead of jamming 14 bigs I let BB in when I had A5 and flop AJ3 3 clubs. and I jam and he calls wit Kc5h and the 4th club comes.

04.11.2019 Results

rye_mariano5

Hey Roy, what’s up man!?

Long time since we have heard from each other!

I’m glad you’re on here now looking to take your game to new levels.

Be sure to join the discord app as well. It’s essential for studying purposes. I’d recommend trying to be very active on there. It may be a little scary at first, but everyone is nice and you’ll get so much value out of posting hands and engaging in other’s hands.

Good luck with the journey!

charlie_runkle
    Participant

Hey Roy, what’s up man!?

Long time since we have heard from each other!

I’m glad you’re on here now looking to take your game to new levels.

Be sure to join the discord app as well. It’s essential for studying purposes. I’d recommend trying to be very active on there. It may be a little scary at first, but everyone is nice and you’ll get so much value out of posting hands and engaging in other’s hands.

Good luck with the journey!

Hi. Yeah its a few years ago. Im happy that you are a part of this team. From what I remember and have seen you have a monsterious work ethic.

Yeah I have high belief in the content that Ben / RYE offers and I heard only good things about it. So finally I am able to think more about myself and not thinking about my day to day job 18 hours pr.day.

Im already in the discord group so i`ll be more active when Im going through the topics.

Cheers, take care

charlie_runkle
    Participant

Brief update. Mastercourse training is progressing really slow because I am on a heater in the MTTs. But I try to think more on stats etc on my HUD. And I set up a simple HUD that are not overwhelming me with info.But off course I have a relatively small database in MTTs so I need to concider that.

My plan for today is to do some work for the company. Get an hour sleep, and prepare for doing the next video in the course. Then some hand reviews and some ICMIZER calculations on some hands from yesterdays grind. I am not sure if I will play at all today as it was late night/morning before my last tournament ended. I will see how my head is and maybe either go to a live local tourney to hang out with friends and maybe thake a shot at the 109 bounty at the same time. Or just relax and watch TV :)

All in all November has started really good. Could have been better if I would be able to get a couple of spots higher where the really big payouts are. But hopefuly I will be able to catch one of those top prices sooner then later.

I play relatively high up to 109 but the strange thing is that 109 bounty is the tournament I overall have the best results in. It could be several reasons. Im more focused, opponents suits me and my style better is a couple of things I have been thinking of.

Play wize: I feel I am progressing. I had a really good late stage part in the 109 bounty yesterday. Where I put lots of pressure and managed to get to FT with chiplead. But a couple of early losses in the FT and being card dead got me to 4th place. Also had a Deep run in the Super Tuesday 109, where I was in the lead from 50 and dwon to about 28, then I played relatively poorly. One big mistake I noticed is that I cBet flop way to much. Both IP and OOP instead of getting free turn or sometimes river with my premium hands I have to fold for large 3 Bets. So I got a dissapointing 17th place in that one. I also sometimes let people get to river cheap / free in late stages with my weaker holdings where I hit flop.

My results so far attached:

Attachments:
    dreamstrike13
    Participant

Interesting blog!

The balance of family life/poker/fitness/social/investing is an interesting challenge. I recently retired as a trader and its so nice to have a time again. Looking forward to reading your updates. Amazing to see the insurance you get from company/government. Having that breathing space to make moves is really important. GL mate!

charlie_runkle
    Participant

Interesting blog!

The balance of family life/poker/fitness/social/investing is an interesting challenge. I recently retired as a trader and its so nice to have a time again. Looking forward to reading your updates. Amazing to see the insurance you get from company/government. Having that breathing space to make moves is really important. GL mate!

Thx dreamstrike13. Yeah we have quite good welfare system here in Norway, but offcourse its not good to drop from a high salary to the unemployment benefits. For my case its like dropping down to half my salary. But luckily I signed this insurance which gets me up to about 85% of my previous salary for a year. So then it is quite good.

I have been working for 25-26 years now since I was 17, so I feel that it would be good to do what I want for a year. Take a chance in life :)

GL to you also.

charlie_runkle
    Participant

Brief update.

I have been doing the mastercourse better this last days. Taking notes, Trying not to take on to much and to nderstand the theory before I move on.

I have been playing quite alot. But I am so close several times, but I struggle in the later stages in Bountys. Also added a side project with Sitn go hypers, as there is a 5000 point challenge on Pokerstars which would give me $400 and Im travelling to UK for 9 days at the end of the month, so by doing hypers I can bring in some more points, and hopefully profit.

I dont really follow any strict bankroll management yet. As I am taking shots to try and boost my roll. But If it goes down to 3K I will start to play lower buy ins and only sats to 55-109.

Here are my numbers:

Attachments:
    rye_mariano5

I would be very careful with such an aggressive bankroll management approach that you’re using. I’m not sure if you are able to redeposit easily, but if you have less than like 100-200 buys in for a level the chances of busting your roll will be very high imo. The variance is just too tough.

charlie_runkle
    Participant

I would be very careful with such an aggressive bankroll management approach that you’re using. I’m not sure if you are able to redeposit easily, but if you have less than like 100-200 buys in for a level the chances of busting your roll will be very high imo. The variance is just too tough.

Hi Mariano. Yeah I do agree. I do have possibillity for redeposit. So if I get down to 3K I will for sure do a more proper adjustment and have at least 100 Buy ins for the level I am playing.

Cheers
    Roy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.