Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs From Bloody Hands to Poker Hands by Sir_Djun

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thank you!

I got tons of very nice and warm reactions on (Dutch) Discord. I must say it does help to get some support from my poker buddies.

2 years riding a motorcycle through the middle of nowhere gives you time to think about life. We lived with only a few panniers and small bags with all our possessions and you really see that you don’t need that much to be happy.

Freedom is key.

Still working on my masterplan aka “Project Maverick’ Will post it as soon as I am satisfied with the overall plan.

Education is important, but riding a motorcycle is importanter

sir_djun
    Participant

Project Maverick

Since my decision I have been working on Project Maverick, my masterplan for the coming year. Last year when I started this blog I had some plans and long term goals. These are still very similar, but I will use all the things I have learnt in this year and more important now I really have the time to focus on Poker.

To help me achieving these goals and to provide me with a better structure, I have bought Klarheit after hearing all the good reviews. I will start with my project and journal on 1st of july.

One of the things I have learnt from last year is that I need some sort of daily schedule to organize my life and to help me with planning and being more effective. It was very nice to be free, not to have a regular job, but it just makes it very easy to be lazy and to spend time on unimportant things in life.

It looks very rigid, but I see it as a guideline, a daily plan, not an exact agenda for each day.

Within a few days I got offered a new job as a medical advisor. I am not sure yet if this is something for me, but it is a few hours per week in my field of expertise with good pay, so it might be very useful to have next to Poker.

This month I will also think how to update my blog. Most likely I will update it once a month with a review of the past month and plans for the coming month. I am aware this blog is mostly for myself, but the warm and unexpected reactions to my previous post showed that it might be interesting for others as well.

My main goal is a cliche but very very true. I want to be/stay happy in life, really enjoy all the special moments especially together with my wife. In time have a family and travel for a few years again and do whatever feels good to do at that moment and circumstance. If this means being successful in Poker that would be great, but this is more a means than the goal itself.

I have a 700 euro bankroll so with some help I made this Grind schedule. I will start with an average buyinn of 2.5$.

Main focus is MTTSNG and small field MTTs with maxium 6 tables at the same time.

Goals for July:

– Start my daily schedule – daily yoga, meditation, cold showers

– Write my journal everyday

– Stick to my Grind schedule, volume goal ±100 tournaments / week

– At least 15 days with minimum 1 hour of exercise / sports

– Study goal: minimum 10 hours per week

– No sweets, cookies or other snacks!

– Loose 1-2 kg of weight

attoliniboss
    Participant

~Great job bro, yeah a base income next to your poker, in the beginning, is a great way to keep the pressure off as well. Really recommend that.

Great job on your daily routine it’s very important. I lack it too at times and it makes the day messy.

Suggest installing 888 as well fields are soft and small compared to party / stars.

Good luck in your journey m8

rye_mariano5

I would recommend taking the work on the side as well. Especially at the beginning. It will help your mental state a lot imo not having to worry much about constant bills etc eating your bankroll.

sir_djun
    Participant

Project Maverick 

Review month 1 – July

Overall very happy with my decision and focus on Poker. Needed a bit of time to get used to the schedule and also still had a lot of things already in the agenda which made it harder to stick to the schedule. For 3 weeks we moved to the house of the family to watch the house and the cats. I also had to put in some hours for my new job. I already expected this so no excuses, but I find it more difficult to focus on Poker when I have other things to think about as well. Klarheit really helped me a lot with planning and structuring my week.

Goals review:

– Start my daily schedule – daily yoga, meditation, cold showers ✅ – I already changed my first schedule a bit after my experiences of the first 2 weeks. In the beginning I skipped meditation and yoga occasionally.

– Write my journal everyday ✅

– Stick to my Grind schedule, volume goal ±100 tournaments / week ✅  412 tournaments in july. Also adapted the schedule a bit.

– At least 15 days with minimum 1 hour of exercise / sports ✅ I managed to spend about 1 hour on exercise basically everyday

– Study goal: minimum 10 hours per week ✅ I spent about 16 hours on poker off table per week.

– No sweets, cookies or other snacks! ✅ Within reason I did not eat unhealthy. Some exception; parties, festivals aside

– Loose 1-2 kg of weight ✅ Lost 1.6 kg in july.

So when we are back home it will be easier to go back to my daily routine. I will also start my new job this month and make some money with that. I will spent about 10-12 hours per week on this especially in the beginning.

I am still studying some basics of the game. I made a study schedule as well to give me some direction of what and when to study. There is so much to do and learn !

Also this month I will finally be able to ride my motorbike again. I rebuilt is from scratch so I am excited if it runs and to be back on the road again.

Goals for August:

• Volume: 110 tourneys / week
    • Start with The Mental Game of Poker I
    • Start Intermitted Fasting
    • Start my job as Medical Advisor
    • Stick to my daily and week schedule even better
    • Keep the amount of exercise – 3 times / week fitness
    • Loose another 1 kg
    • Do some coaching sessions to find major leaks

rye_mariano5

Wow, nice work with the recent goals man! keep it going!

attoliniboss
    Participant

Looks like you have a great structured week. It will pay out for sure. Good luck man!

sir_djun
    Participant

Project Maverick 

Review month 1 – August

Still going well. We stayed a few weeks housesitting and caring for the cats. My new friend Flip was very nice, but the change of environment did take some toll on my daily schedule.

Also started my company and medical advice. Which is kind of the perfect job for me in this situation, but starting up does take a lot of (unpaid) time.

We started running sims with a small group of dedicated pokerplayers from around the globe. I created an Excel sheet to give an overview of the output of these sims and to help study certain spots and boards easier. Still working on it, but it gets better and easier to use every time.

I had some success in massive fields which contributes to the positive variance, but overall I am happy with the focus, the volume and I have the feeling I improve every week. But off course good results are always nice!

Review goals Augustus:

Volume: 110 tourneys / week ✅  573 tournaments this month

Start with The Mental Game of Poker I – ✅  Started (re) reading it

Start Intermitted Fasting – ✅

Start my job as Medical Advisor ✅  Made my first few hours!

Stick to my daily and week schedule even better –  Not really

Keep the amount of exercise – 3 times / week fitness –  Coul be better.

Loose another 1 kg ✅ – 86.4 kg now

Do some coaching sessions to find major leaks ✅  Did one good coaching session

Goals for September:

• Volume ±120 tourneys per week – play low buy-inn Galactic and WCOOP
    • Work ± 40 hours as medical advisor
    • Solve and study with GTO Wizards – finish all 20 and 30BB Sims and study 2 different 20 BB spots (184 flops)
    • Loose ±1 kg and continue with IM – eating between 12.30 and 21.00
    • Finish the Mental Game of Poker – with notes and exercises.

sir_djun
    Participant

Project Maverick 

As expected with the extra variance in WCOOP and the Galactic series I had a big downswing this month. I also was more busy than expected with my new job so I could not spend as much time as I wanted on poker. But overall still happy with my progress.

We had a nice International Poker meeting in my home town of Utrecht. Some guys from abroad who we have been talking and studying with for some time now, came over to Holland.

Review Goals for September:

Volume ±120 tourneys per week – play low buy-inn Galactic and WCOOP ❌  I played only 320 tournaments in september – One reason is  I played higher buy-inns for the series and tried to play 6 tables max most of the time.

Work ± 40 hours as medical advisor ✅

Although I worked a bit more than that and only half of it will be paid, cause I am still learning the job.  So the 40 hours pure as a medical advisor is not realistic, but I am happy with my progress.

Solve and study with GTO Wizards – finish all 20 and 30BB Sims and study 2 different 20 BB spots (184 flops) ❌

Well we are doing good work and slowly building our database wits sims. However we had some issues with the ranges and had to rerun some sims and we have some memory problems for some sims. Might need to rent a server for this.

Loose ±1 kg and continue with IM – eating between 12.30 and 21.00 ❌

The Intermitted Fasting is going great. Occasionally I still eat some snacks or chocolate. I stayed at 86.7 kg

Finish the Mental Game of Poker – with notes and exercises. ❌

I am reading it, but for many reasons I am slowly getting through the book. 

So most goals not really reached, but like I said I am still positive of the way things go and my progress. A lot of people showed interest in my ‘studytool’ for Sims, so I decided to make it a little project. I called the program FlipFlops and it is getting better and better. I am going to sell it for a small fee to the interested pokerbuddies on Discord.

Since I did not reach all my goals for september I wil keep the same / similar goals.

Goals for October:

Volume ±120 tourneys per week
    Work ± 25 hours as medical advisor (paid)
    Solve and study with GTO Wizards – finish all 20 and 35BB Sims and do 2 studysessions with the Wizards
    Loose ±1 kg and continue with IM – eating between 12.30 and 21.00
    Finish the Mental Game of Poker – with notes and exercises.

rvo2410
    Participant

Must have been an amazing experience to meet Christoph Vogelsang!:o

To bad you didn’t complete most of your goals, but at least you have the feeling of making progress, so that’s good! GL with your goals for this month bud!

sir_djun
    Participant

Project Maverick 

October was a very good month. As you will see I did not completed all of my goals 100%, but in general I am happy. This month I had a little less time for poker, cause I also had to work. Still learning the new job and I had some courses where I had to teach. But more important I found a good balance of working (as a doctor) and studying and playing poker.

I made some minor changes to my daily schedule, which works better. I am stil struggling with yoga. Well, not with the yoga itself but with actually doing it at least 5 times a day. I decided to give it another try this month. If it doesn’t work, I will take it out of my schedule.

Although my volume was not great, the results were pretty good with an ROI of 30%. But this was mainly positive variance at the end of the month. However I moved up a little bit in stakes. Playing 3.5r and 7 turbo on PS and luckily I won on the first 3.5r.

In december we will go to South Africa for a wedding and travel, so less poker or work in December.

Review Goals for October:

Volume ±120 tourneys per week ❌ – Played 260 tourneys.

Work ± 25 hours as medical advisor (paid) ✅  Worked for ±26 hours as a medical advisor

Solve and study with GTO Wizards – finish all 20 and 35BB Sims and do 2 studysessions with the Wizards ✅

Loose ±1 kg and continue with IM – eating between 12.30 and 21.00 ✅ Lost about ±1kg.

Finish the Mental Game of Poker – with notes and exercises.❌  Did not finish it, but reading it and doing all the exercizes / writing thing down, so not an issue at all.

Goals November:

• Play ±120 tourneys per week (let’s do this)
    • Start rewatching the RYE videos and take notes.
    • Continue (and possible finish) Mental Game of Poker
    • <85kg before we leave to South Africa
    • ±4 hours of coaching

sir_djun
    Participant

Project Maverick

Another pretty good month in general. Unfortunately I was a bit ill for the last week, at least not fit enough to play and study.
    As planned I did a lot of work to make some money for our trip to South Africa. Since a very long time I bought a Poker book again to read in the plane and on our trip. A few of my pokerbuddies recommended it to me.

So the next weeks we are back what we do best: Roadtrippin. This time in a car (boring) and we will go to the wedding of our friends in Hermanus.

Off course with Christmas coming up we will spend some time with family as well. But other than that, after our trip the focus will be on Poker.

Review goals November:

Play ±120 tourneys per week ❌ – Well I was perfect on schedule and the I got sick. So no problemo.

Start rewatching the RYE videos and take notes. ✅

Watched a lot of RYE videos and did the tests obviously :)

Continue (and possible finish) Mental Game of Poker ✅

I am really reading and working with the book. This is a very good book in my opinion and not something you just read in a few days. I stop reading think about it and do the ‘exercises’ before I continu.

<85kg before we leave to South Africa ❌ – almost. No excuses but with 1 more week of exercise I honestly think I got there. Now ±85.6 kg. My diet is good, but chocolate and especially marzipan is a problem on social occasions. I can’t not eat it…

±4 hours of coaching ❌  I got some coaching but I decided to postpone the planned (and paid) coaching to after my trip. I didn’t feel to well and I though it would be better to do the coachings at a moment when I could implement the thing I learn immediately.

So didn’t achieve all my goals. But I am not worries about it. It is what it is.

Goals for december :

Enjoy South Africa and our time with friends and family. Take the time to reflect on myself and my life.

rye_mariano5

Good luck this month! That modern theory of poker book is really good imo.  I’m not sure if you’re using a solver but I’d highly recommend getting into them if not. It’s a long process but will increase your understanding of theory immensely and help a ton as time goes by.

let’s go!

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.