Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs From Bloody Hands to Poker Hands by Sir_Djun

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Small Update

Been very busy with our new home. After 3 years on the road, visiting the most beautiful places in the world, it is also really nice to have our own place again.

Obviously not much time for poker or studying but this was all scheduled. I now have my own Poker Room, so I am slowly building the ideal setup for study and grind.

New Setup

I continu to focus on the on-demand Sit N Go s. This resulted in 3 wins and numerous final tables, with a steady winrate. However I still do not really look at the results, more important I see and feel I am improving every day.

Next week I will be in Armenia, but after this short mission I will be back on full time Poker.

Education is important, but riding a motorcycle is importanter

sir_djun
    Participant

End of november. No big changes in my poker life.

Been busy with work since Armenia. Since I am (still) not a full time pro, I do have to work…. I had to teach a Trauma course in the Netherlands, and I decided to take this opportunity to really study again.

This automatically meant I had no time and brainspace for Poker. But since this weekend I am back on Poker. I study every day and play almost every day. We are more or less settled in our new home and I really enjoy my ‘schedule’

I go to the gym 2-3 a week, every other day I do a run in the park, slowly increasing my distance and speed.

In 2 weeks I will be in China and North Korea. A very interesting opportunity. I am checking what I am allowed to bring, so I can continu to study poker in my free hours.

sir_djun
    Participant

Another small update..

The last few weeks I have been traveling a lot to China and North Korea for work and just came back from skiing. I am very happy that because of my improved focus and discipline, I managed to spend time on poker, both studying and playing almost daily. But honestly it can be even better !!

Unfortunately I had some physical problems with (old) football injuries. I decided to stop running and change my workout schedule to cycling and fitness. I still want to reduce some weight and continu to eat healthy.

I started to read the New Earth by Echhart Tolle. Although not an easy read by any means, a very interesting book.  

Next week I am traveling again to Thailand. After 2 weeks my wife will join me and we will stay a week on an island, where I will concentrate on poker only.

Poker 

I got myself an account on Pokerstars.es and enjoy playing there. Slightly smaller fields and different tournaments. Unfortunately the study group died because of inactivity as so many do. I will try to be active on discord myself to learn but also to help others if possible.

Short term poker goals:

• Restart my warmup routine before playing
    • Focus on 6-9 tables max at the same time
    • Volume: play about 100 MTT/ 180 SnG per week
    • Rewatch and summarize all the postflop RYE videos
    • Improve my CO and BTN RFI to 32% and 45%
    • Work on my BB defense, I play too passive now
    • Study and improve my Cbetting
    • Making some call down analyses with a fellow pokerbuddy

For my ingame improvements, I will focus on 1 thing at the same time only. After 6-8 weeks I will review my goals and maybe even form new short term goals..

Game on.

skaanbarry69
    Participant

Hi mate! I am Belgian ( Dutch speaking ) so always ready to talk about poker and hands!

scooba troopa
    Participant

Good luck mate! ;)

niels001
    Participant

Improve my CO and BTN RFI to 32% and 45%
    Work on my BB defense, I play too passive now
    Study and improve my Cbetting

GL GL mate!

As a tip I’d suggest you have a critical look at your goals to see how you can make your goals more specific/concrete. Especially these are quite general and the first question that immediately pops into mind is… how?!

sir_djun
    Participant

Hi mate! I am Belgian ( Dutch speaking ) so always ready to talk about poker and hands!

Nice! We have a Dutch Poker Discord. Look me up on Discord. Sir_Djun

@Niels. Ok fair enough. Tried to make them specific. See below

Restart my warmup routine before playing 

I have a warm up routine. Sometimes I skip it, because of several reasons. I want to do this every time I start playing poker

Focus on 6-9 tables max at the same time

Clear enough I guess. I noticed I play better when I do not have too many tables open

Volume: play about 100 MTT/ 180 SnG per week

I think a reasonable volume goal. I want to play about 20 tournaments per/day

Rewatch and summarize all the postflop RYE videos

I am taking notes and asking questions about unclarities on Discord

Improve my CO and BTN RFI to 32% and 45%

My RFI now is too low. I want to increase it. I study the RYE ranges and implement them in game. I review (deep) runs and look specific at these spots

Work on my BB defense, I play too passive now – Study and improve my Cbetting

I guess this is not super specific. It means I am going to (re)watch the RYE videos on these subjects. Think/work on these things offline. Examine spots with Equilab and review hands or sessions on Discord. After that, I think I will have more specific goals on these subjects.

Making some call down analyses with a fellow pokerbuddy

Today I am going to work together with MM on a few homework assignments and discuss poker.

Thanks for the feedback!

sir_djun
    Participant

Hi from Tajikistan!

An update just before I go to Thailand for 4 weeks to focus on poker. We have a nice bungalow with good internet (same as in january) and the owner promised to built a table for my poker setup.

Looking back on my goals I have to say that I did not bad, but since my last update I spent at least 8 weeks on other things then poker. So I can’t really give an honest review of my goals.

I have been on missions to Jordan, Kazahstan, Turkmenstan and Tajikistan. I try to do some offline work during these missions, but it is not the same as a normal ‘pokerweek’ obvious

I also spent a lot of time working on my bike aka ‘The Beast’ . After 2 years on the road and spending the winter alone in a shed he needed some attention.

So time to switch focus to poker! I bought a new laptop for Thailand, went back to Window PC. Will be hard in the beginning I think, but easier for poker-software to run on.

I will study and play poker 6 days a week and will find a new daily routine, a combination of poker and exercise.

My goals for May:

– Play 120 MTT/MTTSnG per week

– Review all push/fold spots the morning after a session

– Review 1-2 hands in dept with software and hand-analyses on Discord

– Continu (re)watching RYE and doing all the homework! ~30-45 min per/day

– Focus on 4.5 SnG on demand and ‘capped’ tournaments, maximum buy-inn 5$

– Focus on 4 tables at the same time on average, with a maximum of 6 tables

– Two good swims in the sea, 20 minutes of yoga and 15 minutes of HeadSpace every day.

Sawatdi Khap!

attoliniboss
    Participant

Nice update, yeah 4 weeks focusing on poker is really nice. 120 MTT a week is quite a high volume. Make sure quality is above quantity. We can always increase volume if our knowledge is becoming more part of our unconscious competence! Nice travels!

fewmoments
    Participant

Thank you for sharing your information with us! I’m following!

sir_djun
    Participant

Nice update, yeah 4 weeks focusing on poker is really nice. 120 MTT a week is quite a high volume. Make sure quality is above quantity. We can always increase volume if our knowledge is becoming more part of our unconscious competence! Nice travels!

Should be 100. Had some issues with uploading /editing.

I will focus on quality first and will try to play about 15 tournaments per day. I will play 4 tables, sometimes maximum 6 to have time for every decision.

sir_djun
    Participant

Time for small update and look back on 1 month of Thailand. 

Overall happy with the time I could spend on poker, both studying and the grind. Result wise it was not the best month. But I decided before the trip to play some SCOOP events even on a small bankroll, so I was at least anticipated.

Our bungalow, internet and pokersetup was good.

We probably go back in the end of the year.

My goals for May:

– Play 100 MTT/MTTSnG per week ✅    Volume: 326 tournaments in 3.5 weeks

– Review all push/fold spots the morning after a session ✅  I made folders with all the tagged hands per day to review them

– Review 1-2 hands in dept with software and hand-analyses on Discord ✅

– Continu (re)watching RYE and doing all the homework! ~30-45 min per/day ✅  I spent on average 1.5 hours per day studying

– Focus on 4.5 SnG on demand and ‘capped’ tournaments, maximum buy-inn 5$ ✅ With the exception of the SCOOP tournaments

– Focus on 4 tables at the same time on average, with a maximum of 6 tables ✅ I usually played a maximum of 6 tables, mostly 4. A few days I had 8 tables open occasionally

– Two good swims in the sea, 20 minutes of yoga and 15 minutes of HeadSpace every day. ❌ The water was too low for a good swim. I did do yoga a bit and meditation more often but somehow was not able to get into my daily schedule

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————

June will be a weird month. I am back in the Netherlands, but I have a lot of stuff and work to do. The first of july I am going to Nigeria for a surgical mission for 6 weeks. I expect not to grind during these weeks, but I will try to study as often as possible.

Since I lost my full bankroll, I will have to start over again. I will start with micro buyinn MTTSNG and small fields, to try to build back my bankroll. The coming 2 months will be very important for my future and decisions for the next few years. Poker plays an important factor in this, and I am thinking of a way to keep combining both my professional career and poker. More on that later!

Since swimming was difficult this time of year in Thailand, I did some running, but it was just to bloody hot. Back here, I am already started to exercise daily which feels good. I will maintain my healthy diet. This combination will result in some weight loss I expect.

More clear Poker and life goals in my next post, when I have a better overview of my upcoming 2 months.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment or give advice!

rye_mariano5

Nice work with the goals for May! Sounds like it was a fun month

sir_djun
    Participant

Update:

This week I have made a very important and difficult decision. Only time will tell it was the right one.

I made the decision not to go on a surgical mission to Nigeria. Although the situation in Nigeria and especially the safety played a role in this decision, this was not the only issue. This basically means I give up my surgical career.

A few years ago when I made the decision together with my wife to ride our motorbikes from Sydney to the Netherlands I more or less gave up my normal surgical career. This was a major decision as well, but I have no regrets at all. This epic trip has been the best years of my life.

During and after this trip I kept working for the International Red Cross; short teaching missions in conflict areas. This gave me both an income and a way to keep in touch with my profession. I also work occasionally in a clinic here in the Netherlands, where I do small operations.

Last week when I was operating I got this weird feeling inside me and in the days after that, slowly everything became clear to me.

I have always been living my life exactly how I wanted. Some people say Carpe Diemall the time, but never really do it. I think I really made an effort. I made some arguable decisions, but I have no regrets. I gave up very good jobs in the Netherlands for adventures in the Caribbean and in Australia. Both times without having a new job there. After working very hard for years and saving a lot of money, we quit our jobs in Sydney rode our motorcycles across Asia for 2 years.

Not all those who wander are lost

Without becoming sentimental, I think this has a lot to do with my mother dying at a very young age. It is a reminder for me that it can all be over soon.

The last few days I have been thinking and talking a lot with friends, family and especially with my wife. It became clear to me that I didn’t want to work as a surgeon anymore. Not in conflict areas not in a hospital in the Netherlands. I have always loved my work and have spent 100+ hours a week in the hospital, but I strongly feel now that this is not what I really want to do for the rest of my life.

Once I was a surgeon now I am myself

The last 1-2 years I have been taking poker seriously, but with all the work and missions, I never really could focus only on poker for a few months in a row. I have learned a lot, met many interesting people and improved my game. More important, however, enjoy every minute of it. I enjoy studying the game, talk about hands, play for hours online and live.  So I decided to focus on poker for at least a year.

Since this decision will have a major impact both personally and financially I am very happy that my wife fully supports me. To make this possible, I will have some small jobs on the side, but 5-6 days a week it will be poker only.

I will take a few days to think about my masterplan and I will post it here when it is ready.

Wish me luck and lets crush !

rye_mariano5

Wow, that’s a huge decision and shift! I have a ton of respect for your honesty and willingness to go after something that you desire. It sounds like you’ve already lead a very interesting life and the fact that you’re willing to switch things up, even at a big financial cost(at least temporarily) speaks a lot to your ability to adapt and not worry too much about what others would say or the possible pitfalls. I’m positive there are a ton of people who feel trapped in their career (not saying you felt this), but aren’t brave enough, or don’t have the means to try to change things up.

Good luck with the journey as always! keep us posted for sure!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.