Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs From beginner to winner

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Makro patience vs Micro Speed. Have you heart about it ?

Hey Ben I actually saw the twitch stream where you talked about the topic. I guess I am already following this particular rules and therefore I am not sure what you try to tell my.

Nothing one can explain in a few sentences. A bit topic. One rule which helps you right away. With toppair hands >50bb we call Flop +Turn and fold River. X/R Flop, bet turn, bet River is a line people hardly bluff. SO once he bets/jams the River you can easily let go of your hand.

Okay this is a helpful rule but what about calling a jam on the flop with TPTK >50bb?

Indeed, it looks you are very tight. What hands do you open from SB/BU?

At the end or upfront, give some cliffs. You start your initial post with „Hi guys, big update coming, here some cliffs…“ (and then followed by wall of text ? )

Had to look up the word „cliffs“ in my dictionary and couldn’t find a translation that makes any sense in your sentence. Pretty sure I understood you anyway

Thank you for your kind words, I am trying to improve in every aspect of life not just in poker, it’s annoying that my progress will be slowed down for the next week because of too much work at my part-time job.

Day 20

What a horrbile day at the poker tables, a few things combined this day that made it very tough to play my a-game and I felt like to play a long session would be a bad idea. We talked about this topic lately, escaping from tilt, self awareness and self reflection. This particular day it was the best solution to take a break and shorten the session. The session ended up being just 2h 48m long, afterwards I really think I made the right decision not going any further and feelt like I needed the extra rest this day.

Week 5

The Stats:

• played 38 MTT’s
    • played 18h, 13m
    • lost a total of 7,3$
    • had one nice deep run

All summed up it was a very short week with just 3 days of poker. Didn’t make big improvements in my game because of the lack in time, sadly next week it will even get worse.

I have one general question, when do you guys actually start to call a run a deep run, last 5%, 2%, 1% or 0,5$ of the field?

Next week:

Like I already said in my review for the first month of poker, I have a few very long night shifts at my part-time job, which will result in hardly 2 full sessions of poker grind. Maybe I will be able to work on my poker strategy while fighting robbers in my night shifts. Atleast I could be somehow productive pokerwise, fingers crossed.

Not sure if I find the time to update this blog while working so much, probably just one update till the next week, I am already behind the schedule with writing this update. Please excuse the delay on replies and updates.

The madness should be over on sunday the 2nd of April and I will be fully back the next day, after I catched some sleep. Should have a lot of time in April, looking forward to that.

atlantis
    Participant

Day 21

I am not entirely sure if I even can call this a poker day, because I just played for two and a half hour and registred just one tournament. But I got 12th place out of 1602 so it was kinda successful anyway. The reason why I just played one tournament was to collect a few hands for the boom! hand player, needed the hands to take part in a competition held by bencb in a twitch stream this day. I think the work was unnecessary, I believe that the winning conditions were changed a little during the stream which I unfortunately wasn’t able to watch, because I had to work. Atleast I cashed a little in the torunament.

Day 22

Standard day standard play, it doesn’t get more normal than this. I didn’t even make a lot of notes for this particular day, which means I played my a-game without big deviations.

Week 6

The Stats:

• played 9 MTT’s
    • played 8h
    • earned a total of 13,02$
    • had one nice deep run

I already expected that I won’t have much time for poker this week, but I hoped that I can get a few more hours in than I actually did. Even though I played not much it was a succesful week, I played good and got some reward for it.

For the month March I wanted to reach the chrome vip status on pokerstars, sadly I couldn’t make it, it was not even close. I would have needed atleast two full days of poker extra, but I didn’t had the time, will crush this goal in April!

Next week:

As I am writing this blog entry from the future I already can tell you that my original plan to start the week on the 4th April didn’t work out, I needed some extra free time for body and mind and had to look after some leftover duties.

So starting the week on the 5th April, with no part-time job shifts I can work all reaming days on poker. In my weekly schedule I planned some time for programming, to work on my “bankroll-manager”. Apart from that my schedule includes the normal stuff, training, learning, analyzing, grinding. Really happy that I finally have a whole week for poker without annoying interruptions.

Day 23 – back on the grind

Yeah buddy, we are finally back on the tables, feels like I played no poker for ages. Had an overall good day at the tables, just one nice run, but it was a relatively short session so it’s an reasonable result. Had to regret one bluff I pulled out of nowhere, I didn’t tought about the spot and just bluff jamed the river, not sure how this could happen.

Yesterday I started with meditation using the app headspace which was recommended by ben, maybe this will help me to eliminate such decisions in the long run. The first day of meditation was weird, I had a short moment were I felt dizzy. The second day was better, I can’t say if it’s working for me yet, but I am willing to find it out in the next couple days/weeks.

bencb789
    Keymaster

Yeah at the beginning it can be weird. How long did you do? How did it feel? Was it hard to endure? Where you lost in thoughts a lot ?

atlantis
    Participant

At the moment I am doing the „Take 10“, I am doing one step each day before I start to get productive in the morning. I am following the introductions and meditate through the ~10 minutes steps. I just finished the 3rd step and to me it felt good, it’s not hard for me to last in this and I don’t get lost in thoughts a lot.

Day 24

We work our best if we can get right between overload and underload, this way our mind gets into the best possible working flow.

Today my session started with a few nasty suckouts and soon I had just one table open, there were no other tournaments I could have registered. So I fell into an underload and got bored, this is not the first time this happened to me and you can imagine that it’s not optimal when this occurres. To reduce the frequency of this situation I want to use more different poker sites, to create an account on party poker is one of the goals I set for the future. If this happens more frequently to me, I have to change my original plan to open a new account after I won some money and rather cash something out and do it earlier.

After I overcome this time the session started out to be very great. It was one of the best days I had so far, I even did extend the session beyond my regular schedule. Really a nice day of poker!

I know I bitched about this before but I still have some issues with the handconverter, can someone confirm that pokerstars knockout tournaments can be converted?

Anyway, can someone provide a comment on this hand:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8212635

My thoughts: So in the first bet round I like the flat call in SB, I dislike a raise OOP against two limper and one MP open. The second round is were it gets difficult. I was pretty new on the table but all players that are involved in the hand looked a little bit loose (5 hands). I don’t expect the BB to have a very strong hand here, given the fact that he is the big stack and the 3-bet I also pretty big. I also don’t expect the limper to have a strong range here, the only real problem I have is with the MP squeeze.

I lookep up the hand in equilab and think I am like 5-8% behind positive ev if I assume to have zero informations here, with just a sample of 5 hands you could argue that the information I got are not worth a penny but especially MP and BB have very fishy stats which I believe wouldn’t change in the total opposite direction. Another good reason for a call would be to triple up my stack. From my perspective it’s close, but I ended up making the call, what would you have done?

About health:

To be more healty and to add a good habit to my morning routine I started to drink one half of a squeezed lemon in warm water with my breakfast. I read this in someones blog not sure which one, but copy and paste good habits = good idea I guess.

atlantis
    Participant

Day 25

I have another solid day of poker behind me, resultswise it was an average day nothing big was accomplished but I played good poker and enjoyed the day. Found two leaks in my game which I have to work on.

Leaks:

• made a hero call based on a tell, viewed soberly there was no tell
    • first time I ran into multiple spots I couldn’t figure out right away, got a little overhelmed

How to improve:

• I am pretty sure I did the hero call to chase the good feeling of catching a bluff, if I recap the hand now the call makes no sense
    • to manage this situation better I think more experience is needed, at the moment this is a sign I should stick with 4 tables

Day 26

I feel like the variance is increased on saturday and sunday given the fact that especially the micro limits are full of hobby players. I will probably benefit from the bigger pricepools but some call downs are just insane. Can you guys on bigger limits remember a tournament were you get 50 AI’s in 20 hands, try 888 micro MTT’s. I think I can handle this pretty good but sometimes I miss a subforum for the worst bad beats/suckouts just to arouse some pity.

Leaks:

• see a big donk bet as bluff

How to improve:

• I literally learned the lesson to give credit to big donk bets yesterday and already forgot to do so today. From fishy player it looks weak but I have to get in mind that is probably a sign for a strong hand and see it more like a “hobby player value bet”
    atlantis
    Participant

Day 27 – It doesn’t get any closer

Maybe you can guess by reading the headline that I missed another FT and this time I finished in 10th place. It was a little 0,5$ torunament on 888 with about 1200 entries. My bust out hand will be the main thing to discuss and analyze.

We are 10 player left 5 of them on my table, I got a stack a little above average and I can remember 3 players having a relatively small stack. From skill level perspective I am atleast top 4, mostly hobby players left. Payouts are 91$ for first, ~5,5$ for 9th and 4,7$ for 10th.

Hand (888 hand so no convert):

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/8216291

I raise my KQo in SB and get called by the CO limper, I assume he is one of the better players that are left. I get 2nd pair with backdoor nut flushdraw, I bet slightly big and get called. 9 of hearts on the turn I bet again around 43% pot size, the enemy goes AI. That’s were it gets difficult for me, here is the range I think he could possibly have when he decides to push right away on the turn: weak flushs, set of 8 or 9, a few aces and kings.

His push ranges could look similar to this:

QQ, 99-88, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, 98s, Qh9h, Qh8h, 7h6h, A8o+, K8o+, JTo, 98o

Which I would have ~55% equity against, pot odds are around 25%, I don’t really expect him to shove with the nuts here. Of course I looked up this spot in equilab but when I was at the table I thought about almost none flushs and very much likely kings with weaker kicker and of course A5s+. Mathematically I thought it would be very close so I decided to think more about the situation and less about the hand.

If I would win the hand I would have been chip leader, the 4,7$ dollar payout isn’t much worth anything, also the next 2-3 payouts are pretty small. The enemy has around 15 BB more than me and is not risking his tourney life but he pulls the gun on me, so I think this move is weaken his hand.

Like you saw I ended up making the call, I still thing it’s close but the more I think about it the weaker I thing my call is. What is your opinion, did I play it too aggressive on the FT bubble, do I overanalyze the situation, what are your thoughts?

Week 7

The Stats:

• played 75 MTT’s (including 7 freerolls)
    • played 33h, 5m (5 days)
    • lost a total of 33,88$
    • had three nice deep runs

What should I say about this week, I can see that I managed to be a little bit more loose which was on of my goals for this week, so I am happy about this. Overall the sessions felt really good most of the time and I did enjoy them. Obviously I am just a human and still thinking a lot about the hand on day 27.

About life:

I have to admit that the programming I planned for the week have not taken place. I didn’t find the time, between loosing a whole day and starting to implamant the meditation thing. I rather got my workouts in the gym done and not cut off any gym again. Anyway I missed one session of meditation, the time that day was tight and I didn’t want to meditate after my poker session, needed some rest after what happened in the hand I wrote about earlier this post. All combined I had a pretty nice week, finally got some grinding and learning session in.

Next week:

Even though the balance last week was perfect I want to work six days the next week. There will be weeks were I won’t have so much time for poker because of my other job, so I will take this opportunity and get some hours in, already hyped to do so!

bencb789
    Keymaster

AQs: If its a KO Tournament, just go all in. There is already deadmoney 25% of your stack as deadmoney in the middle. With the bountys, a very profitable all in here. Against such a massive action, there is at least somone with a hand better than QQ+ or AK and you are very dominated and you should fold.

KQo: Horrible missplay! What do you wanna accomplish by betting the flop? Only a few worse combos are calling but many many better hands are calling. You cant bet for alue here, neither as a bluff, so clear check/call. Turn very easy check/call. As played bet/fold.

Your assumed range is wayyyy to optimistic. First, its unlikely he is flatting your 3bet with JTo,K9o. Also he is not going all in with KJ and KT. When you take out those hands, your equity already drops a lot. He can easily go all in with nut flushes in order to stack you. As you can see, there are enough players that even bet/call for their tourney life with 2ND PAIR!!! in a 3bet pot. Dude, if you do these plays frequently, stop playing and fix these leaks. Its gonna cost you a lot of money.

atlantis
    Participant

KQo: Horrible missplay! What do you wanna accomplish by betting the flop? Only a few worse combos are calling but many many better hands are calling. You cant bet for alue here, neither as a bluff, so clear check/call. Turn very easy check/call. As played bet/fold.

Your assumed range is wayyyy to optimistic. First, its unlikely he is flatting your 3bet with JTo,K9o. Also he is not going all in with KJ and KT. When you take out those hands, your equity already drops a lot. He can easily go all in with nut flushes in order to stack you. As you can see, there are enough players that even bet/call for their tourney life with 2ND PAIR!!! in a 3bet pot. Dude, if you do these plays frequently, stop playing and fix these leaks. Its gonna cost you a lot of money.

Well I already thought I would get my ass kicked for this hand :D

But I actually never 3Bet, he just limped and I open raised – no 3bet. I don’t expect this to change your opinion that much. The bet on flop was kinda like a semi-bluff, the heart on turn killed me. I leveled myself in this hand and I am not happy with the hand, many thanks for confirming my missplay.  In a 3bet pot I don’t risk so much, if it’s not a 3bet pot I would say I do it frequently in KO tourneys.

atlantis
    Participant

Day 28

Finished day 28 without a smile on my face. The session started as tough as it ended. The first 1,5 hours were a massacre and soon I felt very unconfident, when there was only one table left I started to look up the hands were I lost a lot of big blinds, the good thing was it looked like the variance was just hitting me harder than usual. I got back up and played a few hours confident again. In the last two hours of the session it got worse again, this time mostly because I played bad.

Analyzing this session is no fun and I am 90¢ away from dropping the bankroll under 300$. If the bb/100 is an indicator for how well a session went the session was totally fine, but my gut feeling is not fine…need to remind myself that tomorrow is a new day and the frustration will be gone.

atlantis
    Participant

Day 29 – jing and jang

The day started off like the last one ended, not very well. For example I had AA as first hand in one tournament and got it all in against Aks PF and lost one BI right away. This nasty hands continued on for a while. Something like 4 hours into the session it was the other way around and for a few hands I won plenty suck outs. For me it was a sign of how ugly variance can be. Like Ben told in his last livestream appearance don’t underestimate the variance in MTT’s. In the last few days I got some insight into downswings and a taste of the negative side of variance, I really underestimate how hard a downswing could be, in just this few days I already felt heavy preasure, so I can just imagine how a real downswings feels like. Once more I realiesed how important a strong mind is for playing poker as a profession, hopefully the lesson is learned.

Anyway I have to adjust my sessions a little bit as my bankroll is shrinking, I will not play any turbo tournaments for now and see how the next days are going.

atlantis
    Participant

Day 30

Had a few hands which I am not very happy about, but atleast I recognized them as bad plays. In comparison to the last two days I had a better gut feeling. I read in several blogs that almost every MTT player has a problem with the self-assessment when it comes to judge if they are playing good at the moment. Most of them use bb/100 as an indicator, if I compare my value with the value of them it looks like I am doing fine, of course my sample size is very small and I should probably have a higher value as I play way easier limits, but atleast I can say I am not a complete idiot.

Did you ever watched the cinematic statistic video 888 creates for you? I had to laugh so bad :D

Leaks:

• firing a second barrel as bluff/semi-bluff too often
    • always getting in trouble against overbet jams

Reason:

• the reason why I do this is because so many hobby player calling atleast one barrel if they have Jack or better as highcard, feels like the first barrel has no effect at all
    • most of the time I make the right fold which is more of a GTO approach, but I know that I often lay down the best hand, especially from a exploitative perspective I loose a lot ev in this spots

How to improve:

• not really sure, I could do it less often but this would lead to a way more passive gameplay my check/fold ratio on turn would get so high I think even a hobby player could exploit me in this spots. I also could eliminate any creative play of mine but this would lead into a very tight gameplay aswell. One of my biggest weaknesses already is being to tight and I wanted to work on it. I guess it would be perfect if I could lower the creative play postflop and simply find better spots to earn big blinds.
    • As I don’t figured out a better solution yet I will stick with the more GTO based lay downs
    atlantis
    Participant

Day 31 – first blood

I reworked some of my plays and changed my approach on some spots, I don’t know how much this really effected my play but today was finally a good day again. Not just the stats bb/100 improved, also it was the first profit day since a long time. I was really confident at the tables even though the day didn’t start of that easy, finally some good wipes → awesome.

Had a decent run in the big 1,1$ , sad is that I missplayed two important hands, I got back up from the first mistake but the second one was my bustout. I joined the group around nekim0r on skype and already got some nice input about the first missplay. The second hand was even more stupid, but I know what I did wrong and atleast this bigger mistakes do hurt so much that they burn themself into my memory and I hopefully don’t make them again.

Before I forget it, the reason why you probably read this blog entry, I had a little accident with coffee and flooded my desk and notes. The „first blood“ headline is just a catch phrase to attract your attention, the slogan is used in first person shooters and is a synonym for first loss/damage, in this case my paper notes. So did it work? Let me know down below :D

Day 32

The confidence and good play from yesterday continued onto the saturday grind, also a mini winning day and good poker day anyway. Best shot was 22nd in the 1$ goldfish at 888, this time my bust out was not my fault which I am very happy about. Pokerwise I don’t have much to say, will try to get a post with my latest strategy update written down on sunday.

About Life:

Today I met someone really unexpected at my local gym. I met bodybuilding legend Ronny Rockel from germany, I guess you won’t have a clue who this is so let me explain. Ronny Rockel is a professional bodybuilder in the international federation of bodybuilding and fitness (IFBB), he is one of the three most successful bodybuilder from germany. One of his best scores was placing 6th at the bodybuilding superbowl Mr.Olympia. If you think of the muscle monster you probably saw in the internet or television were you thought „this is disgusting“, then you know which group Ronny Rockel is a part of. Obviously I am not a professional bodybuilder by myself and just do this sport as hobby in a natural fashion, but I always was a fan of the sport and the big boys. The work ethic of a pro bodybuilder is insane and not compare able to any other sport, this always inspired me.

I think a poker player could learn a lot from a bodybuilder in terms of their mentality. So I took the opportunity to take a picture and booked myself a personal training for monday. This will cost me 100€ but if you take that in comparison it’s pretty cheap, imagine Ben just charging 105$ for over an hour coaching. Ben, in case that you are broke at some point shoot me an email I book some hours for 105$ ;)

bencb789
    Keymaster

regarding KQ: Yes, it doesn’t change that much even though its a single raised pot.

Did you ever watched the cinematic statistic video 888 creates for you? I had to laugh so bad ?

What is it?

This will cost me 100€ but if you take that in comparison it’s pretty cheap, imagine Ben just charging 105$ for over an hour coaching. Ben, in case that you are broke at some point shoot me an email I book some hours for 105$ ?

Thanks for the offer : >

atlantis
    Participant

What is it?

Have a look at this: click me

Day 33

Just another solid poker day, had two nice runs but in the end I didn’t flip very well. Important thing for me is to not bust with missplayed hands, so I am okay with loosing coin flips, as long as I can’t influence the result it’s obviously my preferred bust out situation.

Week 8

The Stats:

• played 83 MTT’s (including 7 freerolls)
    • played 48h, 56m (6 days)
    • lost a total of 19,78$
    • had two really deep runs and a few decent runs

We got another week behind us, this time I was lucky enough to be able to work 6 days which I never done before in poker. I think with a good work life balance it shouldn’t be a problem to do this more frequently. The ~49 hours are just the hours I had atleast one poker table open, if we add hours for study and everything else which was about poker this week I think I worked like 60 hours. Talking about variance and gut feeling, at the start of this week I felt like the variance hit me pretty hard it was a rough start in this week of poker, but at some point the variance stopped being so ugly or atleast I felt it this way. This was a real lesson for me and I got an in-depth look at the life of a professional poker player and what he has to deal with day in and day out from a mental point of view.

As my number one priority was to get the grinding hours in, some things were left a little bit behind. I didn’t study as much as planned, didn’t programm a lot and had some troubles with my new morning routine which should include meditation. In the past I did start my morning with some free time on youtube/netflix or what ever just to get awake, I tried to mix in meditation somewhere between waking up and getting the work day started. Will try some things the next few days and look what will work for me, any suggestion is appreciated.

The next week:

As my part-time job kicks in again I will just be able to grind 3-4 days the next week, maybe I will be able to learn a little more before going to work. Looks like some people on the forum have a better insight than other, last thing I read was that the MTT’s course of Ben will be released very soon. I am eager to see the result of his work, if I am right there will be three different price categorys, maybe the cheapest one will be an option for me. Looks like the official release date is almost like a state secret, give us a hint

bencb789
    Keymaster

What is it?

Have a look at this: click me

haha

Btw, the course is released :)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.