Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs Finding balance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys

My name is Aaron and I’ve decided to begin blogging here as after reading the threads for a long time I realize it is making no sense for me to not have my own blog. I currently live in Australia and I’m in my final year of university finishing off my study in information systems. Been playing for a while and getting coachings from Ben for SNGs initially then now I’ve made the switch to playing cash and MTTs.

At the moment, I am mostly playing cash games apart from some MTTs on the weekends when I have more free time. Currently, I am balancing time between uni, poker and being part of a start-up with some uni friends. While I enjoy what I am doing and learning at uni it is quite difficult to balance my time between all the things I am doing. The start-up is a project that we’ve been working on to make a online community and platform for volunteering. We did a basic prototype of the platform and now we’re in the process of talking to some organisations to get them on board. So far what’s going well is that we have access to a cool co-working space after meeting with a really cool guy who’s mentoring us.

More on the side of poker. I am currently playing 50NL after switching from player SNG hypers and planning to move up when I can. Last month I had a struggle getting in much volume after starting uni again but I realize that just because I am “busy” doesn’t  mean it’s not possible to play more poker. It’s crazy when I think about it because I remember how much time I had in high school and how I wasted it. Now I still have a lot of freedom with two days of uni per week so I can easy make time for everything by being more aware, and actively scheduling things. I think it is actually better for me that I have so much to do.

While money is an important tool in the way that it brings more freedom to me, it is not the main reason that I play poker. I play because I like the challenge of the game both technically and mentally. I can see how the game can have both negative and positive impacts on me but ultimately it is a challenge that I embrace. The variance is a training tool for the mind, to learn Stoicism. It is about learning to focus on what we can control. The playing of the game itself challenges my analytical skills, self-control and so many things.

Looking forward to posting more in the blog!

bencb789
    Keymaster

Sounds like an interesting project. Do you have a website or anything you can show us? What is your idea behind this project?

neuron123
    Participant

We’ve got a landing page up and running here http://vquestapp.com/ and the prototype we made is on my friend’s computer. We’re working closely with this organisation http://www.causecorps.co/  Should be quite a lot of things going on next few weeks as we’re meeting with some more organisations to find out more about what their needs are.

fallout86
    Participant

Wish you gl with the start up project! Will look closer at it later looks nice so far :)

Greetz FaLLi

neuron123
    Participant

So quite a lot of stuff going on past two days. Yesterday we had a meeting with causecorps founder, talked a lot about strategy and planning of things and our action for next few weeks. Spend a few hours in the afternoon at their work space on some web design stuff. Today I went to an organisation and had a chat with them about their processes for getting volunteers. Pretty clear that there’s a lot of stuff that we could make easier for them. Got permission from them to test one event with us so that’ll be the next step.

Pokerwise feeling pretty good at 50nl. Continuing to work on my game, analyzing most river spots at the moment since I am comfortable in how to play flops and I think that most of people’s imbalances are in their river ranges.

fallout86
    Participant

Solid Redline ? On which site do you play?

neuron123
    Participant

On which site do you play?

Mostly playing on stars ~80% of volume and then on Partypoker. Mixing zoom and reg table sessions in. I play reg tables when I am able to play a longer session.

bencb789
    Keymaster

Not surprised about your redline :D :D

bencb789
    Keymaster

Looks like a really cool project, so much respect for that <3

neuron123
    Participant

Not surprised about your redline ??

Redline took a dive past few days but blue line and green line went nicely up :P

Took some shots at 100NL and feeling pretty good about my game for the most part. At first I feel a bit paranoid and uncomfortable playing 100NL but got into a good rhythm. Been doing quite a bit of poker study. Messing around with the nodelock in PIOsolver a bunch and finding interesting results. Also doing regular sweat sessions and review with a friend who just quit his job + moved to Thailand to play full time that’s on 100NL as well.

fallout86
    Participant

On which site do you play?

Mostly playing on stars ~80% of volume and then on Partypoker. Mixing zoom and reg table sessions in. I play reg tables when I am able to play a longer session.

I like this approach.
    Green Line > Red Line i think ;)

neuron123
    Participant

Brief update post Sunday grind. Played like 16hours and had a blast! Had a few deep runs: 4th in a $22 on partypoker MTT (smaller field), 10th in the hot $82 and 29th in the $44 Sunday marathon. Pretty annoying losing a flip to bust in ft bubble but overall feel like I am playing way better and staying more concentrated during the sessions. Pretty excited for SCOOP next week. Only got Uni on tuesday/wednesday but got some uni assignments due.

bencb789
    Keymaster

good luck for scoop :)

neuron123
    Participant

Just getting destroyed the past few days. Lots of setups KK vs AA pre and can’t seem to win a hand postflop. My bluffs in the standard spots keep getting raised and I just have to fold along with unbelievable amount of postflop coolers. Overall, while I am playing way better… probably would be down like 20BI if I was playing like I was a few months ago, just reviewing my hands and making sure I am learning from mistakes and being objective about my play and the variance. I’ve been through this enough times now that I have gotten better at damage control which is basically what it is when running bad. I probably lose less than most players when experiencing this kind of run bad. Feels like they’re just running me over check/raising me continually but objectively I’ve gotten better at handling my paranoid side. I basically marked a lot of hands where I made bad plays and review them so I avoid making similar mistakes.

Also hand a coaching with Ben and I’ll post a quick summary of some of the things I learnt. I think I got a lot of value out of the coaching and I just need to continue integrating what I’ve learnt.
    -Cbetting OOP with marginal semi-bluff type hands. Generally want a hand that can continue barrelling on quite a lot of turn cards. So want to think about card removal as well and pick large sizings.
    Hand example that I had was a pretty good one.
    A5cc on Qh3c7h
    -Can barrel on any club, 2, 4, 6, and make the nuts on some runouts
    -Card removal to some valuehands i.e. AQ.

Thinking about the range I am targeting with my bet -> Picking a sizing that achieves this will save me a lot of money over time. This is because people’s ranges are often quite in-elastic between small differences in be size i.e. they will fold the same to a 50% bet as a 60% bet.

Bet/folding -> I’ve been thinking about jamming in a lot of spots when I should actually bet/fold even at super low SPR. This seems quite exploitable when I think about it but it’s very unlikely that I am being exploited. When I jam, I isolate myself against a strong range and no longer have a profitable value bet so sizing larger allows me to get called by enough worse hands.

Anyways back to 50NL to rebuild and will be ready for another shot!

bencb789
    Keymaster

good summary :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.