Home Forums Poker Blogs Tournament Blogs A RYE Bankroll Challange

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Im sitting here in Bangkok after an amazing 6month trip traveled the country, trained BJJ in one of the best academy in the country, all over some great memories. I have one feeling that sticks out at the end of this trip. That i have failed my friend. We made a packed that we would move to Thailand for a 6 month trip live together and he will learn poker while away. He quit his job saved up and we left. 6  Months down the line he is a small winner but not enough to keep the dream alive of staying out here and playing full time after paying for living expenses. As for myself i would describe myself as a very average low/mid stakes reg. Can beat the low stakes for decent amount but not enough to keep my head above the water as this trip was more expensive then first thought and have to move back with the family also. This is where i failed him, i let him jump into MTTs straightaway small stakes but enough where variance can crush a beginner and have some living/ pressure of bills and expenses.  He didn’t have the right course/ teachers. I tried my best but as an average reg i can play and internalize thoughts but cant express it well enough to a beginner or i try to explain something very complicated (badly) that he is not ready for. I thought it would just be a month or so to turn him into a winner that will cover the trip cost. In the end we both became very close and had an amazing time but he was very disappointed with how poker going and he is now having to go back to his old job again.

I realized that i have forgotten what it was like at the beginning when starting out of poker and was naive enough to drop him in the small stakes MTTS and it will all work out. I am the main reason why he failed and  I wont let this happen again also i have never got out of small stakes and just really treading water in the poker world so i also want to challenge myself to see if i can build a bankroll jump up in stakes and also have enough money to where i can live the dream again and be winning enough to travel Asia and still be seeing profit after the trip.  It will be a good guide for my friend to read this and see the highs and lows and how to actually build a bankroll. Also challenge myself to finally follow and bankroll scheme that i have to move up stakes and not be scared or have an ego that doesn’t want to show he isn’t good enough for midstakes

I really want to have a guide for myself, my friend or anyone else who is a beginner and wants to build a bankroll.

The challange:

$100 into $15,000 Playing and beating SnGs, MTTS and Cash.

I will be using these bankroll rule and cashout rules.

Attachments:
    sozick123
    Participant

It was the best 6 months of my life and only disopointed that i couldnt keep mine and my friends dream alive but i intend to run this bankroll up so i can sustain this lifestyle and head out to Asia again. I will drop some pictures 

The BJJ picture was the head coach and my friend who came to visit for a few weeks. The poker friend is the one in the shirt in the restaurant.

rye_mariano5

Hey what’s up man!? Nice challenge.  Best of luck with it.

Be sure to join the discord app if you haven’t and get active on there. It will benefit your game immensely.

Let’s go!!

sozick123
    Participant

I have joined. Thanks Mariano5

sozick123
    Participant

It begins, I have been thinking about what is the best strategy. I want the biggest edge with the lowest variance and i think its SnG. I havnt played them in any serious fashion in along time so it should be fun. I only ever beat the very lowest stakes then jumped into MTTs. I think it is a great training ground and since this is a RYE bankroll challenge i will purchase the SnG course.

pokerdutchie
    Participant

Good luck with the challenge! Very excited to see how it turns out for you and awesome to see another BJJ student here.

kweezy14
    Participant

Hey man, Welcome! Traveling asia and playing poker sound like a LOT of fun! Really interesting read and hope you will crush. Good luck!

sozick123
    Participant

Thanks guy. I have just landed and arrived at my parents house.

So i have finished my trip away and i have failed to achieve what i came out to do. Its my own fault, i didn’t have structure, discipline or a goal. (I need this) I feel i have a good goal now, i know i can have good work ethic when i need it. But i feel this is the most testing time in my poker career i am feeling nervous as i cant afford a 3k downswing playing mtts this is one of the reasons i am doing a bankroll challenge and sticking to my structured movement up the stakes and cashouts.  I have realized that the last few years i have just coasted and not pushed myself, no goal no motivation just going through the motions. It stops now as i have a goal ($100- $15000) and i am not going to live my dream and move out again till i  have achieved this goal.

I have all the resources i need it was my lack of work ethic and my ego not wanting to get beat at higher limits that has kept me at the low stakes. I have jumped across so many  playing styles/ trying to copy people ( playing full exploit, playing full GTO and trying to pure my strategy to simplify my game but jumping across them all not spending enough time to really understand. This is why i want to do a RYE bankroll challenge as i will stick to the RYE resources for long enough i will understand the concepts and thought process i need.

It will be tight but i have enough money for about 4-5 months living expenses on a tight budget.Its only up to me i am accountable to myself and i haven’t really looked myself in the mirror for along time intill the end of this trip.

I am confident i can do this but fucking scared at the same time.

sozick123
    Participant

I have played a few turbo 6max to get a feel for the games. Very beatable but the SNG variant makes it tricky as i haven’t  played in a while and need to understand ICM/the game abit better.

I have just finished the 20-25bb open raise lesson and made note and extended them onto ever note. In the philosophy part Ben talked about not rushing to the next lesson for at least 7 day. So in my mind i will play a session and review my opens from only UTG from 20-25bb for a day then the next day review from CO. I will have a good understanding on what my ranges look like and what spots i can adjust the ranges (players behind) and i will be able to see the leaks of my opens looking at only one spot over and over again. It will also give me enough time to internalize this and at be ready to move on after 5-7 days.

sozick123
    Participant

So it has come to my attention that my starting roll is not big enough to play the hyper turbos. Ben made a little post about this.

So i will grind the 6/9 man turbos till i reach $150 then play hypers till i break through to the next level or drop down below $100 then start again.

As for study i have been looking an reviewing opens from 20-25 BB in UTG yesterday and im moving onto MP today. When i go through all the positions i will move onto the next subject

sozick123
    Participant

So a few days have passed and i was trying to work out the best way to get out the micros ASAP. Surely the best strategy is not necessarily having the best hourly especially if you have a small bankroll you need to protect. Its playing the games that you have the highest ROI% that you aim to pay the smallest rake possible but the games you play are also low variance (small feilds). The non turbo 6man/9mans would be good but they just dont run. The rake in the $1.50 turbos are ridiculous. 1.32 buy in + 0.18 rake you have to be beating the games at a really good clip just to beat the rake, which i think a new player who will make alot of ICM mistakes as its a hard concept to know. 45man $1 and other multi table SnG have a much higher ROI as they are non turbos that run and you actually pay a smaller % of rake per buy in can also use the lessons im learning in the SnG course in these games. This seems the most streamline way to get out of micros.

sozick123
    Participant

So i had to change a few things as i was thinking SnG have a high rake at the lowest stakes. Also the non turbos which i have a higher edge in didnt run. So i looked at some games with the lowest rake with higher ROI and not massive variance. (45mans, $2 180 mans and $4 non turbos on demand SnG) luckly i hand well the first few sessions and moved my roll upto $487.

sozick123
    Participant

Ok so a change in plan. Im not really enjoying/not getting enough out of the game just playing turbos so i want to play slower games. I also have more pressure on me financial wise then i thought. Its nothing i can handle but i just want to clear some debt ASAP so want to play games that i enjoy and have a higher ROI. So i will be adding to my bankroll, and having $150 on PP PS and 888. Playing Mtts $1-$5

busterchair
    Participant

Good luck on your challenge =)

rye_tomy
    Participant

Agree about rake on 1$ buy ins, specially hypers there are just not beatable. Glgl on your sng challenge! Keep us updated!😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.