Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs 6 max hyper blog from (former) HUSNG player

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Heya,

I’ll filter for examples in my database and will post some hands in here.

For now though I’d like to post on of my marked hands, that I was thinking about today.

Poker Stars $1.40+$0.10 No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t15/t30 Blinds + t3 – 6 players – View hand 2940104
    DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: t458 M = 7.27
    BB: t478 M = 7.59
    UTG: t548 M = 8.70
    MP: t458 M = 7.27
    CO: t390 M = 6.19
    Hero (BTN): t668 M = 10.60

Pre Flop: (t63) Hero is BTN with 8 :diamond: A :club:
    3 folds, Hero raises to t60, 1 fold, BB raises to t213, 1 fold

STATS:
    SB 5 hands, VPIP 0 PFR 0
    BB 9 hands, VPIP 11 (1 out of 9) PFR 13 (1 out of 8)

Thoughts: Ingame I was to fast in assessing both villains as nits based on their vpip and pfr not realizing that samples on both players are meaningless. Analysis in ICMIZER shows me that jamming is +0.34% so in general this should be a snap openshove at 15 BB. (Link to my results: http://imgur.com/a/kVCru)

Still ask myself: Could minraising have a bigger ev than openshoving vs. nits or should we just openshove this even vs. tight passive players?

Any comments are welcome

Regards
    Luke

iam_jan
    Participant

I prefer just mr esp. vs passive passive players, they fold too much and not 3b enough

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Did I got that right? Minraising would be your default strategy 15 bb deep? Or only vs. Nits?

Regards

Luke

bencb789
    Keymaster

with 15bb and more you should open raise offsuited aces in general

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Was quite busy the last week but still have to post an update, so here we go.

Volume and Studying

Volume was lousy but I was quite busy with non-poker related activities. I also ended up investing >50% of my poker related time in studying rather than playing. => It’s pointless to grind out big volume when you are learning a new format. Yes applying what you learned is crucial but still studying > playing at this point imo. Also when playing it is all about quality hours, so being focused, playing A game, making conscious decisions and so on and so forth.

Of the tables I am watching Ben’s vid course and I have to say that I am quite impressed so far. Vid pack helped me to set my priorities for studying right (or at least I believe it did ;-) ) I’ll probably write a more detailled review of the pack once i went over all of the content.

Besides that I am constantly reviewing hands in HRC. That is my bread and butter right now to do the math and not only see if I can push/call/3bet this or that but to also look at frequencies and ranges/play around with them etc. to get used to this stuff.

HRC and its features

I switched from ICMIZER to HRC just recently. I liked ICMIZER but it missed some features that HRC has, for instance weighting ranges or the possibilty to compare different scenarios in one model (minraising vs. openshoving etc.).

I also realized that HRC calculates equities for flatting pre and playing post. If I understand the method behind that correctly it simply checks down the hand post and let us realize 100% of our equity?!

The user manual says that “This is a very rough approximation and the flatting option will usually be over-evaluated by the calculation.” => Not an expert here but i think this should be differenciated. For instance when we flat and play in position our equity realization will be better than out of position. Different parts of our range might have different eq-realizations…

Couldn’t we use the “select range by edge” feature to simulate different equity realizations? For instance when I believe to only realize 80% of my equityin a spot than I could set the range by edge to +0.20 etc.?

Last weeks fails

As one can see above, I failed to post enough hands in here :-(   I am commited to change that next week!

Graph

Finally, my almost meaningless graph with a mere 500 games or so. LOL at running below ev ;-)

http://imgur.com/L7kSdWy

Feel free to comment

Regards

Luke

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Guys,

would like to ask about a hand that I just reviewed. It is the first hand of the match and I had no notes/marks on both the button and the bigblind.

Poker Stars $1.40+$0.10 No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t10/t20 Blinds + t2 – 6 players – View hand 2944373

BTN: t500 M = 11.90
    Hero (SB): t500 M = 11.90
    BB: t500 M = 11.90
    UTG: t500 M = 11.90
    MP: t500 M = 11.90
    CO: t500 M = 11.90

Pre Flop: (t42) Hero is SB with Q :heart: K :club:
    3 folds, BTN raises to t40, Hero calls t30, 1 fold

Flop: (t112) 5 :club: A :spade: 7 :club: (2 players)
    Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (t112) 8 :heart: (2 players)
    Hero checks, BTN bets t60, Hero folds

I was wondering how EV of flatting is compared to EV of 3bet jamming (I excluded the possibility of 3betting non all-in in my model for now):

Here is the HRC output:

http://hands.holdemresources.net/?id=173aidj7p2aop

Flatting and 3betting Ranges are selected based on having an edge of at least 0.1%.

Given all my range assumptions for BTN and BB flatting is +0.73% and 3bet jamming is 0.60%. HRC is calculating with 100% equity realisation for postflop which looks reasonable with our hand vs. a wide opening range from BTN even though we have to play oop so i think flatting is slightly better than 3bet jamming.

I wonder why HRC puts my entire range in the flatting distribution and nothing in the 3bet range although some hands have clearly higher ev 3betting? Anyone has an idea? Is this a bug or do I miss something because when I set the model up it showed me a 3bet range as you can see below (but when I edited my ranges and selected +0.1% edge it puts everything in my flatting range).

http://hands.holdemresources.net/?id=3wuz3vt6unfc

I quickly comapred ev’s for flatting and 3betting in excel. Therefore i deducted ev of 3betting from ev of flatting (For instance EV Flat AA – EV 3b AA = 2.9 – 4.27 = -1.37 and so on). Here are my results and the way I would play here given my HRC model:

http://imgur.com/m6d1opB

Based on this I’d jam 22+, ATs+, KQs, QTs+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, AJo+ in the SB vs. BTN open.

22-55 although ev of flatting and 3betting is almost identical in the model playability is shitty and in reality we won’t realize 100% equity so i think jamming will be slightly better. On the other hand Q9s, J8s, T8s, T7s, 97s, 87s, 76s although slightly better when jammed have good playability and we can reduce variance a bit by just flatting and playing them post.

As usual: Any comments on my analysis are very welcome.

Regards
    Luke

bencb789
    Keymaster

HRC is calculating with 100% equity realisation for postflop which looks reasonable with our hand vs. a wide opening range from BTN even though we have to play oop so i think flatting is slightly better than 3bet jamming.

this is def wrong. You will never have 100% equity realization since you are oop.

The links are not working btw.

As an advice, I would never make such a complex analysis. I mean, as you can see, all options are very close. And I can tell you, this is a spot, no matter what line you choose, which will make you a super great poker player.

Concentrate to those spots where you can gain a big edge or get rid of your leaks.

Rejaming is fine, flatting is fine, 3betting is fine.

To make a proper play I always consider factors like -> Who is in the BB ? Can I gain a bigger edge by flatting and play against a weaker opponent ? Is rejaming quite +ev ? If rejaming is marginal we should flat or 3bet/fold.

bencb789
    Keymaster

Also when playing it is all about quality hours,

Also when you study ! Study effectively !

bencb789
    Keymaster

I also realized that HRC calculates equities for flatting pre and playing post. If I understand the method behind that correctly it simply checks down the hand post and let us realize 100% of our equity?!

Don’t use HRC for creating flatting ranges.

I highly recommend Power Equilab. Very good tool to analyze defend ranges. There are couple of tutorial videos out there.

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Ben,

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Vid pack helped me to set my priorities for studying right (or at least I believe it did ?)

As an advice, I would never make such a complex analysis.

Had to LOL when I was reading your comments  :-)  But yes, I tend to get lost in analyzing spots that are close and don’t change my ev significantly no matter what line I choose.

Also when you study ! Study effectively !

Have that as memo on my Computer now!!

I’ll have a look at Power Equilab later this day.

Btw Links work fine for me. That’s weird.

Regards

Luke

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Everybody,

Brief update here from me: Started playing 3,50s a couple of days ago. I played around 600 games at the 1,50$ to get accustomed to the new game. Now that BR allows me to play 3,50$ and I believe that the playerpool won’t be much better at the 3,50$ (if at all) i can continue playing 3,50$ while learning. Makes no sense to pay more rake at the 1,50$ imo.

As for my schedule I am constantly working with HRC right now as this is very likely the area that needs the most improvement.

I’d like to post a hand of a common situation where I feel somehat unsure about my line.

Poker Stars $3.32+$0.18 No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t40/t80 Blinds + t8 – 3 players – View hand 2945525

Hero (BTN): t966 M = 6.71
    SB: t827 M = 5.74
    BB: t1207 M = 8.38

Pre Flop: (t144) Hero is BTN with K :diamond: Q :club:
    Hero raises to t160, 1 fold, BB calls t80

Flop: (t384) 8 :diamond: 9 :heart: 9 :spade: (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets t150, BB folds

I have only 1 hand at this depth for both villains so far and no reads so far from earlier games.

My thoughts:

• Pushing is +0.21% according to Nash (0.23% in a FGS)
    • Still I don’t like to jam it at this depth given that it’s on the more thinner side and also
    • Once SB and/or BB decides to call much more Ax than they actually should (which I saw quite often so far from randoms) jamming quickly becomes -EV
    • So I quickly checked for the EV of minraising and was surprised that it is only +0.08% EV
    • Assumptions are SB 3bet jams: 15.7%, 55+ A5s+ A9o+ KJs+ KJo+ QJs QJo JTs and
      BB 3bet jams: 20.2%, 55+ A2s+ A5o+ K9s+ KJo+ QTs+ JTs  (BB overcalls a 3bet from SB with 4.0%, JJ+ AQs+ AKo ) => Is this reasonable vs. unknowns?
    • I played around a little bit with SB and BB 3bet ranges and cutting small portions of SB and BB 3bet ranges out quickly makes the EV much better than for openshoving.

Taking all that into account I think minraising or maybe even limping should be our first option here and rarely jam (if ever?!) this vs. fish?

Regards

Luke

iam_jan
    Participant

Hey Luke,

I would always MR vs unknowns.

I think random would never be that agro in re-steals in general.

Also I would size flop a bit lower, around 33%

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Heya,

Thanks for ur help! :-)

Good point with the sizing postflop. I can safe 20 chips and will likely have the same FE.

bencb789
    Keymaster
    • Pushing is +0.21% according to Nash (0.23% in a FGS)

This is already quite a good jam !  MInraising can become -ev quite quick when BB is taking advantage of putting ICM pressure on you.
    So to be honest, I d rather jam pre flop (VS REGS!) and you have the opportunity to even out the shipload (almost).
    Vs Fish in BB its fine to minraise (jam is fine too).

• Assumptions are SB 3bet jams: 15.7%, 55+ A5s+ A9o+ KJs+ KJo+ QJs QJo JTs and
      BB 3bet jams: 20.2%, 55+ A2s+ A5o+ K9s+ KJo+ QTs+ JTs  (BB overcalls a 3bet from SB with 4.0%, JJ+ AQs+ AKo ) => Is this reasonable vs. unknowns?

SB and overcall ranges look quite good. But BBs range is too tight.

He will def rejam any pocketpair and he can also 3bet sometimes randomly against you.

woyaokuai
    Participant

Hi,

i am currently still on the 1,50s. Your comment motivated me to really move up quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.