Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs 6 max hyper blog from (former) HUSNG player

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey everybody,

My name is Luke and I decided to start a blog to track my 6 progress in 6 max hypers and also to get in touch with fellow 6 max players. I have been a silent reader of bencb’s blog on pokerstrategy for a while and so knew that he launched this place a couple of months ago.

Regarding my poker history. I play the game since forever…. Probably not that long but certainly for 12+ years now. Started with cashgame back in the days when the one and only thing you needed to beat NL100 and above was not to be dead! ;-) I had no clue what I was doing back then but it was still working and I was making some pocket money….

After I finished my studies of statistics and empirical sciences I stopped playing poker as I got involved in the working world obviously. It was maybe 3 years ago that I got back to poker. After donking around in cashgame for a while I quickly got into sit n goes. Started with 9max turbos and played them for a while before I discovered 6 max hypers. I felt lost in heads-up play back then so started to play some hu-hypers on the side. I started playing some 3,50$ and then moved up to 7$ games…

… and ultimately ended up playing those games for 2+ years. :-) Until now I played around 16K hu-hypers, most of them at the 15$ level and had decent results.I did tons of work with CREV, Flopzilla etc. during that time span and improved my pokerskills a lot. However with divisions being in place at the 30$ levels and above + me being a part time grinder due to real live obligations I was kinda looking for something new.

Played some Spins but for some reason I don’t like that format so I decided to move back to 6 max hypers and here I am.

I have to get used to the format again so I just started to play few 1,50$ at stars a few days ago. I started to work on my preflop ranges and also on my PoF game and especially my game on the bubble. As I have a fulltime job the available time for poker is at around 15 to max. 20 hours per week.

What to expect from this blog:

I am determined to post an update at least once a week. This will include either hands or general questions/topics but I’ll probably also post some of the ranges that I am working on + analysis in the hopes to get discussions going. :-)

I do a lot of analysis in CREV and also renewed my ICMIZER2 license to study bubble spots as I am likely in desperate need to do so.

Goals for the reminder of this year:

• Get a proper set of preflop ranges for early game
    • Do a lot of analysis on PoF Game and in particular bubble game
    • Once I am more familiar with preflop game starting to do analysis on postflop game
    • At least one update per week in my blog

I have no clue how good the 6max hyper player pool is nowadays but even though I play just for fun in my spare time and am not dependent on poker at all I am somewhat competitive and think with the time that I can and am willing to invest in my game I hope to move to the 15s within a reasonable timeframe.

Outlook and questions:

What I am currently  working on is a set of 25BB 6 handed ranges so that I have a set for the beginning of the game with minraise-call/fold ranges, 3bet ranges and flatting ranges vs. minraises.

When I played hu hypers I had ranges for almost every stack depth down to 7 big blinds. For some reason I feel the urge to have a comprehensive set of ranges for 6 max hypers, too. I am just unsure whether this in necessary at all or more of a waste of time? I probably don’t need ranges for 25BB and 6 handed play, 5 handed play etc. Then the same for 20BB and so on and so forth?

Another thing that I am curious about is shallower play (let’s say 15bb and below). Within the few games that I just played I already asked myself in several spots how to construct my ranges, namely what to minraise fold, minraise call and what to openshove. I will try to crunch some numbers in CREV and ICMIZER and might end up posting some results here, once I have them.

Hope to get in touch with you guys here and in the other blogs, as well.

Regards

Luke

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I just started to do some work on my preflop ranges and would like to post my results for utg/mp play as well as co play.

It is difficult for me to switch from having a large database and being able to analyze population tendencies to having pretty much no database at all to work with. Anyways I gave it a try.

Here are my results for utg/middle position play 25bigs deeps

And this is what I have for cutoff play right now

As you can see I also added villains 3bet jam and 3bet non-all in ranges in the screenshots. Without any empirical data I tried to be quite consverative with my range assumptions for the population.

I will continue with BTN and SB ranges very soon and will then go on to build ranges for shallower play.

Important thing to note here is that this is nothing more but a starting point and we should deviate from this ranges (and any pre-defined ranges) as soon as we have reads, be it on frequencies or on combos in certain villains ranges.

This leads me to also do some work on call 3b jam ranges etc. vs. different frequencies and range-compositions in the near future to also gain a better understanding of proper adjustments vs. certain frequencies.

General/Other Stuff

I also marked several bubble hands during the last few days and found some really big leaks in my game there. I’ll definitely continue to go over these spots on a regular basis. I made myself a special tag to quickly mark bubble spots in game.

I am still playing 1.50$ games at stars but am probably going to move to 3.50$ really soon. Rake is much lower and I doubt the games are any different.  Plan is to play few hundred games over there and then quickly move up to 7s.

I also plan to really focus on studying right now and keep playing vs studying ratio at 50%-50% probably even higher towards studying.

Final Remarks and Questions:

1. If anyone can help me with population tendencies for 3bet all-in and non-all in or give advice on whether my assumption or ok’ish, way to off or whatever I’d highly appreciate it.
    2. I realized that it kinda sucks to work with ICMIZER as one can not put weights on different parts of a range (e.g. villain 3b jams KK 50% of the time but 3bnai it the other 50%). Is holdemressources calculator capable of this? Or any other tools?
    3. I have trouble of modelling the cut offs of my ranges. So what can I open profitably and what should I openfold. It would be a very big model in CREV, because I would have to build a model with 6 players and take into account many different scenarios in order to get proper results. Do I overthink or miss something here? Any advice on how to calculate this?

Any comments or remarks are very welcome. :-)

Regards

Luke

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Just realized that there is already lots of information regarding opening ranges in other threads… ;-)

…I’ll take some time to go over some of the blogs in here and pick up the information. Will continue my analysis on ranges anyways as it is always good to do the math by oneself imo.

Regards

Luke

bencb789
    Keymaster

Hey Raga welcome =)

First, check your Emails.

Can you explain your abbreviations in the first screenshot pls ?

1. If anyone can help me with population tendencies for 3bet all-in and non-all in or give advice on whether my assumption or ok’ish, way to off or whatever I’d highly appreciate it.

Sure, thats why you are here :)

Is holdemressources calculator capable of this?

yes

So what can I open

You mean open raise or open jam ?

If open raise -> Create open raising ranges for 20-25bb and 15-20bb and post it here and then we go from there :) We will help you. You don’t need to waste your time for that.

But yeah, as you mentioned, there is plenty of content regarding opening ranges in other blogs .)

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Ben,

saw your mail and already replied. Seems like I’m  to stupid to change my profile.

As for the abbreviations:

R/C/C is raise/call/call

R/C/F is raise/call 3bet non all-in and fold to 3bet all in

R/F/F is raise fold to 3bet non all-in and fold to 3bet all-in

R/C_IP/F is raise call 3bet non all-in in position and fold to every 3bet out of position

I made those call non-all in ranges with a really crude cardrunners ev model so they are likely far from being great.

Even more so because I have no evidence regarding population tendencies.

With open I meant openraising in this case.

Regarding ranges, I will be happy to post them once I have them ready and receive anyones feedback. Before I do so I’ll go over some threads here. No need to ask the same questions over and over again + it’s likely a good idea to read over some of the stuff in here :-)

Regards

Luke

bencb789
    Keymaster

ok, post your ranges here once you made them and I ll take a look then =)

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Guys,

was quite busy the last couple of days so hadn’t had that much time for poker related things.

At least I managed to build a HUD for 6 max hypers. Was kinda hard because I never did that before.   ;-)

Besides that I managed to at least get a set of preflop ranges for 25bigblinds and 15bigblinds. I’ll start with the 25bb ranges. Any comments are highly appreciated. Not only on the ranges but also on what to watch out for when building 6max ranges etc.

Here are my ranges for 25BB deep play

UTG

MP

CO

BTN

SB

To clarify all the abbreviations.

R/C/C  = Raise/Call non-all in 3bet / Call all-in 3bet

R/C/F = Raise/Call non-all in 3bet / Fold all-in 3bet

R/C_IP/F = Raise/Call non-all in 3bet only in position/ Fold all-in 3bet

R/F/F = Raise/ Fold to non-all in 3et/ Fold to all-in 3bet

L/C/F = Limp/call non-all in ISO/fold to ISO all in

L/S/C = Limp/Shove over non-all in ISO/ call ISO shove

L/F/F = Limp/Fold to non-all in ISO/Fold to ISO shove

Some notes and remarks

First off all ranges in the cutoff, BB and SB are highly dependent on opponents tendencies and I am very aware of that. For instance there’s no need to limp with high frequency if a villain tends to fold 50+ % in the big blind. It would be quite horrible to limp-jam 55s vs. guy that has a 5% ISO non-all over reasonable sample etc.

Same goes for stealing ranges in the buttom/Cutoff and also for call-off ranges. I worked with relatively narrow 3bet jam ranges (at least I think they are narrow). I just don’t have nearly enough of a database to do some empirical analysis. I’ll probably find out rather quick how wide villains tend to 3bet jam in 6max hypers. I’ll do some excel sheet with adjustments vs. different frequencies to get a sense of what is a profitable call given a 3bet %.

SB ranges are also not balanced at all but I don’t think they need to be at microstakes. Once I move up they’ll likely need a rework.

Question

I saw preflop ranges for 6max hypers in another blog and was wondering why utg would open A2s+ especially at lower/micro stakes? I would assume that villains tend to flat to much and that mid to low Ax would be a relatively big part of that flatting range. That would leave us in a spot that otf we either hit TP cbet and get tons of folds or get called and end up in not the best spot on turns and rivers?!On the other hand we also miss tons of boards with these hands. Do I underestimate the value of the A blocker or what is the reason for opening them utg?

Any comments are welcome!

Regards
    Luke

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Well, not much to make comments about when my post looks like that. Sorry but it looks like

1. I am not smart enough to create a post with screenshots and

2. that I can’t edit my last post :-(
    Can anyone help me out?

bencb789
    Keymaster

1. I am not smart enough to create a post with screenshots and

2. that I can’t edit my last post
    Can anyone help me out?

Should actually be possible. I ll see whats wrong.

For uploading a picture there is an icon at the icon bar (switch to visuell) where you can imbed pictures as well.

I saw preflop ranges for 6max hypers in another blog and was wondering why utg would open A2s+ especially at lower/micro stakes? I would assume that villains tend to flat to much and that mid to low Ax would be a relatively big part of that flatting range. That would leave us in a spot that otf we either hit TP cbet and get tons of folds or get called and end up in not the best spot on turns and rivers?!On the other hand we also miss tons of boards with these hands. Do I underestimate the value of the A blocker or what is the reason for opening them utg?

First, Ax is going to be flat called not so wide. Most offsuited Ax hands are going to be folded from positions like CO and BU (A2o-A9o). And good Ax hands like AJ+ (often ATo) people tend to rejam those. So we don’t face so many situations where we are playing against a better Ace.

Against a normal flat calling range which is very broadway heavy, a low suited Ax hand plays or rather performs very well in terms of raw equity. Especially a regulars flat calling range is very easy readable (often KQs,JTs, A9s-ATs type of hands).

Against a fish flat calling range we have the needed equity anyway and also we have a big post flop edge.

So low suited Aces are a mandatory open raise pretty much every single time.

Does it make sense for you ?

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Ben,

makes a lot of sense. I had all the Ax you mentioned in Villains flatting range and him only jamming AQ and AK :-)

When as you said, we rarely face Aces in villains flatting range and they either fold or 3bet jam then I certainly agree that it should be easy for us to play those hands postflop.

As for the remarks regarding posting pics. I had it switched to Visuell and then copied the link via the “Bild einfügen/ändern” icon. Not sure if that is how it should be done?!I assume I should then see the pic while I am still working on my post, right? Might be something with links from Imgur?

Editing does not work with my posts from today but works only with the older posts when I had that stupid screenname :-)

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Heya,

Still unable to edit my newest posts so I’d like to post links to my preflop ranges: If anyone wants to comment I’d highly appreciate it.

UTG

MP

CO

BTN

SB

Just so that nobody has to scroll up and down to check for the abbeviations

R/C/C  = Raise/Call non-all in 3bet / Call all-in 3bet

R/C/F = Raise/Call non-all in 3bet / Fold all-in 3bet

R/C_IP/F = Raise/Call non-all in 3bet only in position/ Fold all-in 3bet

R/F/F = Raise/ Fold to non-all in 3et/ Fold to all-in 3bet

L/C/F = Limp/call non-all in ISO/fold to ISO all in

L/S/C = Limp/Shove over non-all in ISO/ call ISO shove

L/F/F = Limp/Fold to non-all in ISO/Fold to ISO shove

Played a longer session today and will likely post few hands in here. In general playing right now feels kinda weird because I literally feel how lost I am in so many spots compared to when I played HU and had a gameplan for so many situations.
    I’ll also buy the preflop pack here in the vid section. Why would I waste much time with working things out on my own when I can buy a pack? Even more so when somebody like me just has a limited timeframe for poker to begin with. I believe working on preflop stuff will become much easier once I have a proper starting point, which i expect the preflop pack to be for sure (all of the packs for what its worth).

Next pack after that will be the push or fold and bubble pack.

Next steps for the next weeks are:

Volume: 200 Games (I play 4 tables atm in order to prevent autopiloting and have enough time to make conscious decisions at the tables)

Get used to my new hud

Go over at least 30 spots in 4handed or 3handed play

Post at least 3 hands a week here where I did some in-depth analysis

Move up to 3,50 once I worked through the above mentioned packs

Will keep you guys posted in here

Regards

Luke

bencb789
    Keymaster

Hey Luuk, thats strange with you not being able to edit posts. Because it works for me. Anyway, we are trying to fix it. Just make a new post while it is not working for you.

Regarding your ranges:

In general you can’t make fix ranges against 3bets. UTG for example, it depends from where you get 3bet. So you can’t say I always raise call ATo vs non all in 3bet. If HJ is 3betting you, you have to defend way tighter than against SB. Also bet sizing is very important as well.

So first lets have a look at your opening ranges.

UTG: fold QJo

MP: looks good

CO: fold A2o-A4o. Open raise 65s

BU: Open Q2s+, J5s+, fold 87o, T8o, K7o

SB: fold the red suited hands. You can play more Kx hands against “normal” opponents.
    But against SB you should always play against the specific opponent.

Same for other positions. Use them only as basic and then adapt from there.

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Ben,

Many thanks for the input.

Regarding the 3bet calling ranges. Yeah that actually makes so much sense now that I read it :-)

Very likely that I was so caught up in the heads-up world still, where I had exact minraise-call non all-in/all-in ranges etc. vs. the population and also vs. different frequencies and ranges + vs. recreationals and regulars and ranges for 25BB, 22,5BB 20BB and so on……   ;-)

I will still do some calcs on calling 3bets vs. different frequencies but not so much to have them as a set of ranges but to get a better sense for different frequencies and ranges.

With regard to my next steps I actually have to rephrase the “go over 30 spots and post 3 hands” part:

I made several tags and filters in PT4 and will focus on a specific topic for a certain period, probably a week (depends on my availability and progression ofc).

I also have another thing to do which is to not stalk my graph and roi any longer!! Worked quite well for me in HU but I’m somehow more inclined to watch my graph now that I started playing new games.
    Regards
    Luke

ragaagaggaga
    Participant

Hey Everybody,

one week of playing and studying is almost over and I’d like to quickly sum the past week up.

Invested some time on my preflop game and therefore also watched the preflop course from RYE. I must say it was really helpful. Among many other aspects I learned …

• … that I should adapt much more than I thought would be ok vs. several villains,
    • how to construct my ranges given villains tendencies
    • how to assess preflop situations in general, whats stats to look out for etc.
    • One big learning for me was to realize that we should 3bet non-all in pretty thin vs. fish with certain tendencies
    • And another huge finding was to see how to work on preflop adaptions vs. certain tendencies with holdemressourcescalc. in one of Bens vids. Super helpful!

Leaks that I spotted in my game:

• openraising to wide when getting shallower
    • not making proper adjustments vs. villains in general
    • Flatting to much 20-25bb deep with hands like KQ, KJ etc. when I can happily 3b non all-in
    • And my goodness I just realized how horrible my bubble/PoF Game is, not only when I am to decide whether to PoF but also with regard to call pushes.

So I built filters in PT4 to filter for push spots and also for call/fold spots. I am actually not gonna mark these hands in game because I might miss something that I think I played well when in fact I played it terribly wrong.

I probably burn so much EV there that this will be one of my top priorities for the next weeks to come. Constant reviewing is a MUST!

Of course I have to post my very first 6 max hyper graph in here, too ;-)

Graph 1st week

Almost 250 Games with a 6% evROI at the 1,50$ level.  Lolzzzzz

Regards

Luke

bencb789
    Keymaster
    • openraising to wide when getting shallower

Do you have examples for that ? I am asking because often its quite profitable to open raise wide(r) as a shortstack. But it really depends.

• Flatting to much 20-25bb deep with hands like KQ, KJ etc. when I can happily 3b non all-in

Same here. Would be good if you can post some examples.

Good results man ! But obviously not a hug sample size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.