Home Forums Poker Blogs Sit and Go Blogs 1MaClayN 6-Max Hyper Turbo Blog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m Mitch “1MaClayN” a 24 year old from Southern Ontario in Canada who has been playing poker for a few years now and recently invested in the 6-max course and made the switch from HRC to ICMIZER to be able to use the SnG coach and here is my story.

Over the past few months I came across a few different blogs on the forums (Tommie_to, Muydias etc.) and I felt as it was time to start my own. My reasoning behind starting this blog is to try and keep myself accountable for my consistent play and performance with out taking any shortcuts or lack of play. I began playing on stars where I stumbled across the 2.50 180 mans which I fell in love with due to the shorter length of tournament, turbo speed and capped amount of entrants. The fact that I could turn 2.50 in over 100 was fascinating to me and had me instantly hooked, being the competitive person I am I instantly wanted to become a winner at these games so I headed to Youtube to see if I could find anyone who was a crusher at these games. With little effort I ran into a few videos that were decently recent from a player who goes by “Bfizz11” and I began to watch learn day by day and before I knew it Brian had started to stream on Twitch.tv and I was in the stream and playing for 6+ hours a day. I was able to attend some coaching sessions with Brian add that on top of his free value streams and I found myself getting better every single day, from this I was able to build a roll of about 2k but this is when things began to change in my life.

I found Brian when I was a student in university and it worked out perfect because I could come home from class and play the rest of the day with having very little obligations in my life so the volume came naturally with having so much free time. Two problems began to arise after my roll hit around 2k the first being tilt after a long day at the tables of playing the 2.50 180 mans and losing around $100 after putting in a long session and having nothing to show for it and actually having lost on the day would always leave me with a sense of failure in the day. This is where I started to getting into 6-max hypers, I had also been an avid watcher of “tonkaaaa” and he also had been streaming and making youtube videos where he would play these 6 max hypers and only have to beat a smaller field and win more in these than he would in some larger field MTTs and this began my so called “downfall”. After these full days of losing at the 2.50 180 mans and feeling tilted and mad I would think to myself all I have to do is win around 2 $15 6-max hypers to win most of my losses back in that day and in hindsight it seemed so simple but we know that is a 2-way street. Being down $100 and then playing a 15 6-max hyper and losing would turn into ok now I need to play a $30 to make that make or a $60 to now and try and make a profit. As we can all guess this 2k roll quickly disappeared playing this way because as we all know the edge in these games are so small that a 2k roll does not go very far with downswings in these games if you are playing way to high of stakes.

These days playing the 2.50 180 mans and 3.50 rebuys are no longer possible as I am working at a job about 30 hours a week and putting in a session is just not possible as getting off at around 530 est the games do not run as often during these hours and it just does not seem feasible. 6-max hypers on the other hand which I have been to enjoy just as much and run much more often during these hours and decent volume can be put in at this time. So currently I have still been dealing with the playing games way outside my roll which leads to mass swings where I will withdraw one day and 2 days later be depositing it back because I played 300 3.50 hypers and made $5 so I flick in a $30 which turns to multiple $30s, 60s, 100s again and the roll is gone.

This all lead me to today where I am starting this blog as looking for some advice if anyone else has gone through something similar to this in there career on the tables and how they went about it. For me I am hoping this blog will help keep me more on track if I am to reset my sharkscope and start with a $650 roll and start with $3.50 6-max hypers and try and play 5k games with no shortcuts or other games on my graph. I will be working around 30 hours a week and still will need time to make time for friends and family, but with winter coming in Ontario it will free up more time where there is less things to do in a week and more time for poker so I want to set a solid foundation where this can start to build a roll a there with be no more deposits needed and only withdraws while I climb through the micro stakes of the 6-max world. If anyone has a life style similar to this and how many games they are able to play a month it would be much appreciated, because the only how issue I have been having is getting in the volume but if I have something to compare to I feel like it will give me a reasonable target that I know I am able to hit. Hopefully with anyone who comes across this blog’s help and some accountability on my end as well this will start me on the right path to stay patient and be less results oriented, I am going to take a break from poker for a few days, study some more runs some past hands and re-watch the 6-max course while hopefully getting a solid plan set with all your help before I begin playing again and look forward to whats next.

If you managed to read all this I thank you and hope to hear from you

Cheers 1MaClayN (If you would like to add me on Discord its MaClayN #5750)

tommie_to
    Participant

Good read! The goals seem really solid! Maybe try to find a study partner playing hypers in the range of 3.50s and 7s! There are some good players chilling in the RYE chat and having a solid review buddy heavily improves the learning process of hypers in my experience.

4 tabling and a 1000 games in September seems like a great goal! Study/playing ratio heavily depends on your skill level and experience I’d say, but I can recommend studying at least 20% of the time as a bare minimum (maybe even 30-50% when starting out with the goal, it improves confidence and skill ). Good luck at the tables and keep us updated!

rye_tomy
    Participant

Hello Mitch and welcome to RYE community! Glad to have another sng future crusher here :) As i can see now you must deff stick to your bankroll managment and not playing games higher, very important! Take your time, at the beginning try to study/play 50/50, rather than volume goals, set goals like master open raising ranges, push/fold spots, etc… When you study make sure you post some hands on Discord with your thoughts that we can review them and you get feedback. Also having icimizer or hrc is a must for sng player. I hope you enjoy the ride!

Gl at the tables!

1maclayn
    Participant

Month 1 is in the books

I stuck to my word and only played 1000 3.50s this month no other formats and was able to get the volume goal I initially planned but it unfortunately was not as easy as I hoped. Felt very up and down about these games this month as most hands I ran I was making the right decision but still having some major leaks with the KJs KQo in particular when the call ranges become much tighter than anticipated. Profit wise obviously decently successful with a solid ROI but as I was told in the discord the sample being 1000 games is much to small to draw any assumptions off of especially seeing as how + EV I ran in these games. One of the hardest parts I have found in these games is that all the push fold spots you can run in HRC or ICMIZER but its about finding out where you are burning EV in non push fold spots which is also a large part of the game. Noticeable leaks I think I can already notice in these games is calling from the BTN to wide with 10-15bb with marginal hands as well as calling from the big blind and not knowing what to do in many spots on a variety of flops when to run it and get it in vs a call fold for example with flush draws and straight draws on flops its most likely they are not folding to your jam. Mental relating problems I noticed was that some days that I got home from work I was more worried about just hitting my target volume goal for the days rather than just playing good poker in all the tables I was on. Last take away from this month was wanting to run hands mid session and was talking to another player about this after you had 5ish close spots that you have tagged from your session to stop registering and then running those 5 spots before you continue playing for the day (not sure if this is bad or not) may be wasting time EV wise. I lied last last thing is that I am not really utilizing my HUD to make any decisions and I am not sure if that is because my current HUD is too overwhelming for me at this stage or if I am just unsure what exactly I am looking for that would change my decision making process as well as possibly noting players more for the kind of shoves they are making vs just good or bad players.

All that said going to try and basically stay consistent this month compared to last with just sticking the 3.50s and attempt 1000 games again if I get more time to play and am able to play more then I will but without playing when I am not in the right mindset 1000 will hopefully be the minimum I get in this month.

Thanks for reading and hope everyone has a profitable October see you on the tables

1MaClayN

rye_tomy
    Participant

I would not suggest you that you are doing hh review during the session or stoping the session because of that. Do that as warm up before the session. I think at this stage is more important that you are playing your A-game rather than volume, so i would focus on that and if its “only” 875 sngs played at the end of the month so be it. Also just have basic stuff in your hud, just few lines, prf, vpip, 3bet, cbet, x/r flop ag factor and thats it + fri from every position and you are good to go.

Gl at the tables in October!

tommie_to
    Participant

Hey Mitch, these results are pretty good for the first month of serious hyper grinding given your volume in my opinion! Like Tomy already said, I would also recommend to rather play your A-game than a lot of volume, especially since at first, you should be focusing mainly on improving as a player, spotting leaks, and so on. If you have issues with certain push fold or postflop spots, be sure to ask them in the Discord!

Gl at the tables and I’ll see you around!

Tom “tommie_to”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.